Breathers...

Mark

I am changing the Transfer box on the disco, so while its out I thought I would extend the breathers up and tie them into the new snorkel. while I was there, I also did the axle breathers too.

I have replaced all the existing breather pipework and used new pushfit connectors and this is what I ended up with:

Transfer box has a new right angle pushfit connetcor - the thread is 1/8 BSP. The Gearbox is done in the same way, but I don't have pictures of that:

gallery_92_353_102505.jpg

The breathers from the transfer box and the gearbox are combined from 2 6mm pipes, into one 8mm pipe:

gallery_92_353_26304.jpg

(nb the transfer box hasn't been fitted yet... :) )

The front axle has another 90 degree fitting, and the pipe follows the route of the original breather:

gallery_92_353_24352.jpg

The rear axle has been routed along the opposite side to the original, avoiding the exhaust, and along the top of the chassis:

gallery_92_353_141987.jpg

The 8mm pipe from the transmission and the 2 6mm from the axles all extend up the bulkhead to a mulitway fitting which is attached to the scuttle - There is one spare 6mm input, which is blanked off (does anything else need a breather??)

gallery_92_353_124536.jpg

The other bit of 8mm pipe goes through the scuttle (using a bulkhead fitting, cos I had one.... ):

gallery_92_353_43896.jpg

..and then proceeds up the A post on the same route as the wiring harness for the roof lights:

gallery_92_353_117797.jpg

I used one last fiitting by drilling and tapping the snorkel top with a 1/4 bsp thread so the breather pipes terminate in the top of the snorkel:

gallery_92_353_18798.jpg

Hopefully, that should be all the breathers done...

Posted in international as I would have thought it was as applicable to range rovers and defenders as much as discoverys...

Hope that is of interest to someone...

Cheers

Mark :)

Wasn't sure about the fuel tank breather, I guess it should really be raised....

Where is the engine breather on a 200 TDI then? I basically did all the pipes i could find...

I used plastic fittings cos that's what I had - I found a bucket load in a skip, and the pipework too, so the breathers have so far cost me nowt bar a few cable ties... :D

It remains to be seen if the plastic fittings on the axles will take the abuse though...

Wasn't sure about the fuel tank breather, I guess it should really be raised....

Where is the engine breather on a 200 TDI then? I basically did all the pipes i could find...

I used plastic fittings cos that's what I had - I found a bucket load in a skip, and the pipework too, so the breathers have so far cost me nowt bar a few cable ties... :D

It remains to be seen if the plastic fittings on the axles will take the abuse though...

Mark, for the engine you want to do the back of the injector pump (you'll find a little rubber cap with a short pipe on the back) and the timing case (otherwise the front cover can warp). You also want to raise the breather on the PAS reservoir otherwise you'll trash the PAS pump and box....

As far as the fule tank goes the breather will probably be in the cap. If you want to raise the breather you'll need a sealed cap and then mount a roll over valve into the filler neck and attach the tube to that.

Mark, for the engine you want to do the back of the injector pump (you'll find a little rubber cap with a short pipe on the back) and the timing case (otherwise the front cover can warp). You also want to raise the breather on the PAS reservoir otherwise you'll trash the PAS pump and box....

As far as the fule tank goes the breather will probably be in the cap. If you want to raise the breather you'll need a sealed cap and then mount a roll over valve into the filler neck and attach the tube to that.

Didn't have much success with any additional breathers...

Couldn't find the cap on the injector pump, anyone got a picture?

I am presuming the timing chest will need drilling and tapping. Anyone done this in situ? Not entirely convinced I want to open it up to add a fitting, but I wouldn't have thought swarf would go well in there?

Also, I could not find any evidence of a breather on the pas reservoir - is this another one I need to create? It seems to be sealed at the moment, so not sure I want to vent it to amosphere...

Cheers

Mark

Didn't have much success with any additional breathers...

Couldn't find the cap on the injector pump, anyone got a picture?

I am presuming the timing chest will need drilling and tapping. Anyone done this in situ? Not entirely convinced I want to open it up to add a fitting, but I wouldn't have thought swarf would go well in there?

Also, I could not find any evidence of a breather on the pas reservoir - is this another one I need to create? It seems to be sealed at the moment, so not sure I want to vent it to amosphere...

Cheers

Mark

Mark, I'll try and remember to grab a photo of the injector breather later. You're rubber cap may have gone but its basically in the middle of the back of the pump. Its a shame Moglite's website www.red-ibex.com has gone off line as it covered breahters in great detail :(

I've seen a few differant solutions to the timing case breather: Drill and tap the main cover (rare), include a breather into the drain plug and welding a peice of plate to the little inspection plate and drilling and tapping that. I chose the last option.

The PAS res. breahter can be hard to find. Take off the top and you'll see a small hole (4mm diameter IIRC) on the side of it. What I did was opened it up to 5mm and epoxied some 5mm tube into it.

HTH

I've seen a few differant solutions to the timing case breather: Drill and tap the main cover (rare), include a breather into the drain plug and welding a peice of plate to the little inspection plate and drilling and tapping that. I chose the last option.

Couldn't you remove the injection pump inspection cover from the timing cover and drill and tap that?

I had breathers going into the snorkel top

problem was the suction drew oil into them

thus blocking them and far more likely to blow seals

came to light when EP90 reached the snorkel and ran down the tube after leaking into the snorkel top

Tony, it must be an issue with smaller bore snorkels - my 3.5" bore Safari never gave these problems.

I have a local problem of insects blocking the bluddy breathers with soil are laying eggs I guess

funny till a hub seal/pinion seal blows

I blew them all out today with the new T Max compressor, that cleared them good and proper

I may fit a filter of some sorts to keep the pesky critters out.

When I did this on my last 90 I had the same problem as you Tony. The way round it that I used was I had a mate who made circuit board handling machinery and they used some metal gauze filters. Also on some machines they used an air stone. A bit like a pumiss stone. By the looks of it, it is the same as the airstones you get on fish tanks to aireate the water. Perhaps the petshop in Alcombe would have what you need for a few pence.

HTH

The route I was going to take with my breathers was on one of the top corners of the front and rear roll cage hoops (I've got a lot of breahters) to weld a peice of tube cut in half to the bottom of the cage tube. This could then be drilled and tapped to take push fit connectors. The explaination isn't great but I've done a quick paint sketch.

post-295-1189589641_thumb.jpg

The 8mm pipe from the transmission and the 2 6mm from the axles all extend up the bulkhead to a mulitway fitting which is attached to the scuttle - There is one spare 6mm input, which is blanked off (does anything else need a breather??)

gallery_92_353_124536.jpg

Cheers

Mark :)

Timing cover, injection pump and pas res all need breatering if your doing the job right.