Stiff clutch pedal

Hi,

I've not long had my 90 and have noticed that the clutch pedal is quite stiff and bite point is quite high.

It also broke down at the weekend with knackered slave cylinder on the hydraulics so I've ordered a new one.

Is a stiff clutch normal or could it be due to the slave cylinder being on it's way out?

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

I've not long had my 90 and have noticed that the clutch pedal is quite stiff and bite point is quite high.

It also broke down at the weekend with knackered slave cylinder on the hydraulics so I've ordered a new one.

Is a stiff clutch normal or could it be due to the slave cylinder being on it's way out?

Thanks

Steve

The pedal is quite stiff when compared to a "normal" car, but not overly so.

I'd suggest that you budget for a new master cylinder as well though - I can pretty much guarantee that if it'll fail within a few hundred miles of you replacing the slave if it's not been changed very recently. You'll probably find that that will sort out your bite point problems.

Matt

Hi,

Thanks

Steve

Also depends how old your Defender is. 300Tdi pedal is easier to press due a different return spring mechanism

Mines an f reg 90 county

Get hold of a 300Tdi model clutch pedal assembly. This is the bit that includes the pedal and the bracket the pedal hangs off that bolts to the footwell. This will make your clutch pedal a helluva lighter. FWIW, I'd fit a new master cylinder while you're at it. Use a genuine parts Lucas/Girling Master Cylinder (likewise for the slave cylinder) and not an el cheapo S**tpart 'pattern' part.

from in the cab above the pedals remove any trim panels, you'll find 6 x 10mm hex head bolts, remove these & the pedal rubber anti slip cover,disconnect the master cylinder hydraulic pipe at the fitting & remove the top cover 6 x screws IIRC, then ease it clear, then remove the pedal assembly twist to get the pedal pad through the bulkhead hole & retreive the rubber gasket, simple as that :hysterical: swap the clutch master cylinder over to the new pedal & adjust the push rod to the same as the removed item, then fit the new assembly to the vehicle, set the clutch pedal height from the bare ( no mats) floor plate as shown in the info below. once done refit the cover plate & enjoy the new feeling.:i-m_so_happy:

clutch_pedal_spring_Parts_Cat_page.pdf

post-20-1189536508_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

Many thanks Les,

I have that topic printed out in glorious technicolour ready for the job

I thought the new pedal assembly came with the master cylinder?

If it doesn't am i right in thinking it's probably worth replacing at the same time?

Do I need any greases, special or otherwise, to fit this or a slave cylinder?

I've found a slave cylinder topic that says to put grease under and over the dust cap.

Thanks

Steve

Nope the new pedal assembly doesn't come with a new master cylinder either swap your existing one or fit a new one, new clutch master & slave will have the rubber grease already installed under the dust cover, it's only there to lube the rubber cover, best to change the master while it's easy to get at.

Thanks Les.

I now have the parts required and I've tried disconnecting the hoses to no avail.

I'm now thinking that i might as well just replace that as well.

One thing that does bother me is that I look at the pictures on websites such as paddocks and the hose looks really quite short. Is this just the picture they use?

It seems to be a flexible hose complete with end fittings which seems to be a better option than trying to replace the current metal hose with another metal one.

Can anyone tell me whether these hoses are what I need or do I need to replace it with a metal pipe?

Thanks

Steve

both the same assembly, EPC shows only the same assist spring for the 3 assembly part numbers

anr3400

anr5311

sub100320

doubt LR would change the assembly just for a new variant, any of these will retro-fit into a pre-Tdi/Td5 vehicle.

the difference in feel maybe down to the state of the hydraulics that do the actual pressure transfer.

Well, I've finally fitted the new clutch cylinders and pedal and all is well so far.

I had a pig of a job getting the old hose off so I had to cut it out and get a new one except the shop who made up the hose didn't supply all the bits!! They supplied the master cylinder and the hose and then decided I didn't need the connector between the 2 despite being told the old ones wouldn't some apart.

Oh well, I figured it out and put it all together.

My one piece of advice to anyone else looking to do this is if you are going to replace any of the clutch cylinders that you make sure you replace the hoses at either end as the buggers will not come off easily but they do come off the flexible section.

Steve