200 TDi Starter motor problem...

rekab69

Hi,

Starter motor spins but doesn't turn over the engine, sometimes catches with a gratting noise.

Been getting worse over the last couple of weeks...

Tried bumping the engine to a diffferent position in case the ring gear was shot...?!

Took it off tonight, on the floor with a fresh battery the dog gear flew forwards and while it turns over the motor I jammed a piece of wood in the dog, loads of power....?!

Questions...

Do ring gears go, I felt in the starter motor opening the teeth seemed to have a chamfer on the leading edge is this correct..?

Could it just be a week solenoid...?

Whats a good make starter to buy...?

many thanks

dave

There three makes of starter motor - Prestolite for less than £100 and in my opinion totally rubbish. Then Valeo for about £140, which are ok and probably the most popular. Then there's Bosch for almost £200 - no doubt they are the best, but a lot of money. If you play in the mud fairly often I would suggest a Valeo item.

Les.

There three makes of starter motor - Prestolite for less than £100 and in my opinion totally rubbish.

I've a Prestolite in mine for the last 4 years or so and not had any problems with it.

Before I changed it, I had the old starter out about 3 times. Same symptoms as you, worked fine on the bench but wouldn't engage when fitted it. Earth and lives to the starter & solenoid checked. Ended up replacing the starter which fixed it.

• 1 month later...

Ben

I had to replace the starter motor on my Discovery recently. Got a Prestolite one from my local independant dealer, it failed after two months. We then went through 2 more brand new ones which also failed before finally settling on a Bosch. I hope you have more luck than I did.

Rgds

Ivan

Hi

Still haven't got round to buying a new starter, it will start every time although I have to endure the ginding of teeth. I tried running jump leads direct from the battery to see if it was a bad earth. No change, just spins for a while then catches on the third or forth attempt.

Where if any are the earth straps which I could double check...?

Guess I'm just waiting for it to finally give up....

Cheers

Dave

Still haven't got round to buying a new starter, it will start every time although I have to endure the ginding of teeth. I tried running jump leads direct from the battery to see if it was a bad earth. No change, just spins for a while then catches on the third or forth attempt.

The bendix is sticking. Pull the starter off. Lube up the bendix assembly. It will be fine after that.

The bendix is designed to run dry. If you oil or grease it - clutch dust etc will stick to the oil and cause the bendix to stick again in the future. Rinse the mechanism through with petrol/brake cleaner etc and try it again. If the bush inside the bendix is excessively loose, then the starter will have to be repaired/replaced. You should have an earth cable from one of the starter motor mounting bolts to the chassis - or possibly from a bracket on the back of the starter (if it's Prestolite).

Les.

Knuckles have just grown back so I'll bash them off again removing the started, can't recall if there was an earth strap near the motor it's self, could be lucky...

Thanks for the replies guys, for ever helpfull as always.. one day I might even be able to post an answer too..... Nah! maybe not....

Cheers

DAve

• 1 month later...

Third time lucky, removed my starter motor again.. Cleaned bendix, which was clean as a whistle, checked and cleaned all earth straps, again all tight and making a good contact... as before...??!

All in all, I couldn't find a single thing amiss....

Re installed starter motor, and...............???!!

Starts first spin, as it should...!!

Starts so quickly now, I'm not to sure if I actually want go anywhere but I just go for a short drive to be polite....

Many thanks to all who suggested checking earth straps and cleaning bendix, cheaper than a new starter, but I have no idea what was at fault...

Cheers

db

• 2 years later...

Not sure if LR have possibly the same issues as i have found on some Zuks in the past that the small amount of wiggle on the bolts can lead to that problem. simply slackening of bolts and wiggling it seems to get it to line up properly.