300Tdi fan bearing

cipx2

I was thinking one day "what if the fan bearing goes nuts one day, where do I find one?".

And I found out that it comes together with the timing cover and there's no part# for this.

So I started digging and this what I found:

- there is a shop in Oz selling it : http://www.british4wd.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1975

- it seems that there is a bearing used on the old XJ-12 and XJ-S Jags that is about the same as the one on the 300tdis.

- the Jag part# is EAC3437, number 18 in the following picture

post-1725-1192566255_thumb.jpg

- the Jag fan bearing looks like this:

post-1725-1192566321_thumb.jpg

- the only thing to do would be to cut the short end/shaft on a lathe

- all I could find about the 300tdi bearing is that it has 37 mm OD, the shaft is 5/8" and the width is unknown. so these need to be confirmed too

An alternative to this would be a bush + other bearings + shaft but I keep it in reserve.

Another alternative would be to forget about the factory fan, get an electric one, fit temp sensors, use a shorter drive belt routed accordingly. It sounds "bushy" to me and don't like it. further more, I have A/C and I don't know if I can find a proper way to route the A/C belt. Might be a solution for others.

Or just forget about the whole thing and get a timing cover?

Any thoughts? Is there anybody that has access to Jag parts and would like to get the measurements for the Jag bearing?

what do u mean by standard? I understood that SKF makes/made them, they didn't want to sell to others but LR and it's an odd bearing. Do you still have the old bearing?

Did you heat the cover and refrigerated the shaft, used a press or just tried hammering it out?

what do u mean by standard? I understood that SKF makes/made them, they didn't want to sell to others but LR and it's an odd bearing. Do you still have the old bearing?

Did you heat the cover and refrigerated the shaft, used a press or just tried hammering it out?

I just just measured the id, od and depth and ordered it from my bearing suplier.

Give me some credit :lol: i used a press without heat.

Not a problem of giving credit but not to repeat a method proved wrong.

If you have an answer from your bearing supplier it would be nice to know what did they manage to find. Tx.

It arrived the next day cost me about £7 (timken from memory) seems to be holding up to offroading better than the original.

Sorry but this time I give you no credit ... B)

Are we talking about the bearing that is pressed in the timing case? The one in second picture or in the first link I posted? The one that has the shaft in one piece with the inner race of the bearing?

We are not talking about the bearing that goes to the drive belt tensioner or another pulley, are we? The one showed here, for example: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

I cannot believe a bearing like the one in my 1st post can cost 7 quid. Not even made in China. Sorry, but I don't buy that. I need proof :P

What size is it? OD, ID, width=? Or what's the part number?

And what's offroading, "onroading" or driving in the back yard got to do with this bearing, 'cause I don't get it?

F**kin' hell,

Yes i do mean the bearing that is pressed into the front timing cover that the viscous is mounted off.

And yes it did look a lot like the bearing in you picture but on the end of the spigot it had a 4 bolt flange, this spigot then pressed out to leave me with a standard "sealed" neadle roller bearing.

As for offroading, the factory item lasted less than a year in my hands with antics like this,

1.jpg

But it's replacement has served me for nearly 5 years despite stupidity like this,

31120622.jpg

Prehaps after only 73 posts you should be a lot less sceptical about some of us on here

Sorry, but I just couldn't believe that a needle bearing could cost same as a more usual 6203. So i wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding.

And your messages didn't sound that the action happened years ago, I thought this was like past week or so. So that's why I didn't see any connection with offroading, I mean what could have happen in such a short time with that bearing?

We're all human and regardless the # of posts everybody can make mistakes, my mistake this time.

Ok, so it's a standard bearing and costs about 7 pounds. Tx for that.

Sorry, but I just couldn't believe that a needle bearing could cost same as a more usual 6203. So i wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding.

And your messages didn't sound that the action happened years ago, I thought this was like past week or so. So that's why I didn't see any connection with offroading, I mean what could have happen in such a short time with that bearing?

We're all human and regardless the # of posts everybody can make mistakes, my mistake this time.

Ok, so it's a standard bearing and costs about 7 pounds. Tx for that.

Applogy accepted,

Try and keep an open mind in future though :)

With bearings, you get what you pay for. Timken bearings are very good. The replacement bearing for the tensioners is £7 if it's a Timken item.

I'd like the part number if possible please.

Les.

I've got another one that needs doing sooner or later to complete an engine that's in bits at the mo, so when i sort it i'll take a few pics and get a part number.

• 2 years later...