Fitting Mantec Snorkel

I bought one this week. It arrived on Wednesday and I opened box to look at the fitting instructions and see how difficult a job it would be. There were no instructions, just a list of the parts in the box. :( I called and received a verbal account of how to fit. Here is a better set of directions...

Apart from the snorkel and top, this is what you get in the kit.

post-209-1192795586_thumb.jpg

You may feel you need to remove some flashing from the mouldings before you start.

Start by assembling the snorkel. First, fit the top. I suggest that you first fit the right hand front screw as it is the most difficult to align. Leave the screw loose while you loose fit the other three before tightening all the screws.

post-209-1192795373_thumb.jpg

Next fit the windscreen bracket. The 3 bolts need a 3mm allen key.

post-209-1192795479_thumb.jpg

The "hook" bracket is next, 5 small bolts, 4mm allen key. Before you fit this, be sure to de-burr the large fixing holes. I used a counersink bit.

post-209-1192795928_thumb.jpg post-209-1192795758_thumb.jpg

Then fit the neoprene seal to the snorkel, over the "hook" bracket.

post-209-1192796059_thumb.jpg

That is the snorkel assembled. Now for fitting it.

First remove the cover from the wing air intake. Do this by working round the outside of the vent pulling it out a little at a time with a small pair of pliers. Not doing so, will break the little pins off that hold it on.

post-209-1192796362_thumb.jpg

You are going to be drilling holes in you Landrover so apply masking tape over the places where you will be drilling. This makes marking the holes easier and helps prevent the drill bit from slipping. You can see here where I have already marked my holes. There is tape on the windscreen pillar too.

post-209-1192796484_thumb.jpg

Fit the snorkel to the car by hooking the hooks inside the intake hole and pushing gently down. There is a screw very close to where you are hooking the hooks so beware to make sure that the screw ends up between the hooks. Once the snorkel is down in the correct position, mark with a sharp pencil through the holes in the snorkel and onto your tape. There are two at the bottom and two on the windscreen pillar. Then remove the snorkel and drill the holes. I used a small drill bit first as it is easier to find the right place! The rivnuts supplied need a hole 8.8mm diameter. I used an 8.5 and then opened it out with care.

post-209-1192796827_thumb.jpg

Before drilling the windscreen pillar, remove the plastic trim from the inside and move the wires out of harm's way. You will need to drill the holes in the windscreen pillar 5mm as the screws are M6 self tappers - although I used a proper tap to make the threads.

post-209-1192797449_thumb.jpg

Once the rivnuts are a snug fit in the holes you can fit them using a proper tool or the directions supplied by X-eng. Here are mine, fitted using the X-eng method.

post-209-1192797158_thumb.jpg

You can now fit the snorkel to the car and do all 4 fixing bolts up - this will allow you to see how good your marking and drilling was. I surprised myself! :)

post-209-1192797307_thumb.jpg

Jobs-a-good-un. :)

post-209-1192797381_thumb.jpg

Good luck

Chris

You may feel you need to remove some flashing from the mouldings before you start.

Is that a polite way of saying "the finishing is a bit sh**" :lol:

I guess the new type still uses the plumbing inside the wing, like the older metal one?

Thanks MOG.

Steve, I am always polite, you know that. :) Besides, I have sent Mantec a link to this thread suggesting that they refer other customers who would rather not play guessing games. It still uses the plumbing inside the wing, including the plastic intake bit. I was rather disappointed that it does not have a spigot to connect to the rubber pipe rather than rely on sealing to the wing. Still, it was cheaper than some alternatives.

Chris

You might be able to sell them copyright on the photos to go into a set of instructions, for a modest sum :)

Many of the fitting or tech threads on LR4x4 are much better than manufacturers instructions. The instructions for fitting my Safari snorkel waffle on about sealing the water drain etc but completely fail to mention that there are about six ruddy great holes in the 300Tdi air filter can that you need to seal up before there is any chance it will be waterproof (something you might want to look at though I guess being a Td5 you will probably be avoiding bonnet-covering Welsh rivers in this one :) )

You might be able to sell them copyright on the photos to go into a set of instructions, for a modest sum :)

Many of the fitting or tech threads on LR4x4 are much better than manufacturers instructions. The instructions for fitting my Safari snorkel waffle on about sealing the water drain etc but completely fail to mention that there are about six ruddy great holes in the 300Tdi air filter can that you need to seal up before there is any chance it will be waterproof (something you might want to look at though I guess being a Td5 you will probably be avoiding bonnet-covering Welsh rivers in this one :) )

I would never have gone into the last one if I had known how deep it was! (or seen what was around the corner!). :) I will get on and seal it all up properly next week when I have some sealant.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Have just fitted one of these snorkels using these instructions, it took me less than an hour. :D

I also made sure that a good amount of silicon was put between the snorkel and the wing as I don't really trust the gasket supplied to be watertight.

Found that the easiest way to secure the Rivnuts was to run a nut and large washer down the bolt and then thread the bolt through the Rivnut until there was enough thread protruding so another nut could be fitted on the end, this was then tightened against the rivnut using a 1/4" socket. Once tight the socket was kept in place to hold the bolt in one position.

The nut a washer on the ouside of the wing were then brought up to the rivnut and tightened using a spanner. Once tight the nut was removed from inside the engine bay so allowing the bolt to be removed.

Cheers,

Aran

• 1 month later...

Fitted mine today doesnt seam to be as snug to the wing as it should be? thinking of changing the rivnuts for normal nut and bolts to pull the front in tighter to the wing dunno about the bottom i may bend the clips in a little

• 2 weeks later...
The instructions for fitting my Safari snorkel waffle on about sealing the water drain etc but completely fail to mention that there are about six ruddy great holes in the 300Tdi air filter can that you need to seal up before there is any chance it will be waterproof

Ohh-err, is there? It's off to the garage for me!

Cheers

Blippie

Ohh-err, is there? It's off to the garage for me!

Cheers

Blippie

Ohhh yes...

See the photos from me towards the end of this post

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78

and hold any 300Tdi air filter can up to a bright light ... some are worse than others but most have daylight coming through!

I was looking at a Puma the other day with a view to fitting a snorkel on (wondered if a 300Tdi Safari would fit, not a chance for anybody else thinking about it) and the intake system seems to be much the same collection of poorly assembled inexpensive plastic as the standard fit inside the wing of a 300, I wouldn't bet on it being at all waterproof around where it goes into the air filter box :unsure:

To get back to the original topic, my steel 300Tdi Mantec snorkel came with comprehensive fitting instructions which worked fine. I still have them for some reason. So things have gone downhill since about 2000 when I fitted it.

Although water is the least of our problems here (mostly) I will have a look at my can in the light to see what is going on.

Dust is my worry, and although the Mantec pre-cleaner works well - you should see the dust collected on my roof - I want to fit one of these which is supposed to take out 99% of dust. I believe them, Donaldson don't sell snake oil IMHO.

http://www.emea.donaldson.com/en/engine ... 034489.pdf

Can't seem to get that URL to work, though I posted it on our own forum ok. I guess if you google on "Donaldson top-spin" you will find it as I did.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, every one.

Thanks for nice instruction for plastic one.

Like a old wolfs - could you suggest what is the common way to fit mantec metal snorkel on LHD Defender TD5?

All instructions are for RHD models and under bonnet every thing is opposite especially heater, which are on air tube.

Have I remove heater or something else to make hermetization?

Or I have to remove wing?

Is it necessarily to make tube joins hermetic (I am do not plan deep wading) ?

Might some one have installation instructions for LHD Defender TD5 and can share?

thanks in advance.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

So I’ve had abit of a nightmare with my snorkel I’ve managed to fit the bottom bit and the top where I’ve marked it up is too high but the snorke will not go down any further and also is it ment to be so tight to pull top half back if anyone gets me?