heated windscreen on td5 90?

davie

Well its winter now yukkkkk! woke up to lovely frozen windscreen some days this week and got me wishing for a heated front screen - does anyone know if these are available for a 2003 td5 90 and from where/how much/hard to fit etc?

I hate clearing windscreen and dont want to keep risking warm water on frozen glass

Davie

P.S mods - most likely in wrong place again..........can you sort this Thanks.

i was about to post a similar question.

Regarding the wiring for one. on a pre-dash change td5 there isn't alot of space for an extra switch without new holes in the dash etc which i would like to avoid.

therefore is there any reason why you couldn't wire a front screen into the same switch as the rear screen (using the switch to activate a 2nd relay for the front screen?)

Unless you have a genuine part, late spec heated screen...

These only require one earth and one feed (35amp). Both terminals are located in the bottom corners, and it does not have the centre earth point.

Ian

I fitted one to my old 1995 300Tdi 90, very easy, just run a couple of wires into the battery compartment, 40 amp relay and fuse, and a switch wire up to a second heated rear window switch on the dash. Doesn't have the timer that a "proper" one has but I am sure you can remember not to leave it switched on :)

On an 03 model, the heated screen wiring may already be lurking behind the dash since it was from 02 that the heated screen option became available from the factory.

How would i check for that - my electrical skills aint great so unless its a case of look for a plug thats lurking behind one specific area then i tend to wimp out!!

Doesn't have the timer that a "proper" one has but I am sure you can remember not to leave it switched on

Those timer thingies are important. Leaving the screen switched on for longish periods by mistake results in the elements breaking and the screen only clearing in a pattern of foggy stripes (the biggest one of which always seems to end up right in the driver's line of sight). The wife's 90 is now due a replacement due to this and I shall re-arrange the wiring with a timer relay from a Range Rover (PRC 6796) to try & extend the life of the next one.

Despite this niggle they really are a worthwhile addition and I wouldn't have a 90 without one.