Baltic Land Rover Meeting 2008.

protoprincess

Hi Zuz,

Looks like it could be a nice rally/ gathering, I reckon the 400km of greenlaning would be fun too . Are you thinking of doing it after the Ladoga next year..would be a nice wind down after a week of trophy racing.

Looks like about 1000km each way to get there and back so not too far away.

cheers

Steveb

Just thinking that would be a little detour on the way home from Ladoga :)

Nah, just return on dry land instead of the ferry. :P

Not a big problem. Thinking back on to out first Ladoga return journey – from Russia down to Slovakia and Hungry in Pig - lol. The border police sometimes wanted to search the car but for some reason they looked inside, giggled and walked away. Just later I relised that I was drying our undies on a line in the back of it :lol:

Another one when we stopped after one village to have a little nap in the middle of the night - sleeping bags out and lay under the car - nice - woke up in a blooming cemetery! :blink: (quiet neighbors at least ;) )

Great adventure :i-m_so_happy:

• 3 months later...

Just wondered if anyone on here is thinking about this?

I've talked to a few friends about doing it , it's something a bit different to mark the 60th anniversary with....

..LROh AC say they are taking bookings for it in this months rag.. :P

We've got our own maps in Polish and sat-nav, so will find our own way :blink:

Cheers

Steveb

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 2 places booked for the week, so looking forward to a bit of overseas midsummer fun B)

Anyone else going?

Looks like we'll be doing Harwich - Hook of Holland, then through N. Germany and into Poland, probably doing a bit of back roads/ sightseeing on the way there and back to make the road kms more interesting, anyone got any recommendations what to look for ?

Cheers

Steveb

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Zuz,

It was a good week , the greenlaning was lovely and relaxing being guided round the beautiful Kashubian region by Mike and Roch....a top team , no wrong turns , or confusion at all and luckily for us their English was much more advanced than our Polish ;) . Lunch was booked for 2 of the 4 days and on the other 2 we found a suitable place. I got back to the UK last night off the afternoon boat as I have Family over from NZ for 6 weeks, off to Heathrow for 23.15 arrival tonight .

The weather was variable ....last weekend was torrential rain, thunder and lightning and 50 mph winds coming down off the Baltic, but during the week 28-30c and warm evenings perfect for shots of chilled Bison Vodka and Polish sausage cooked on a camp fire :P . I have several photo's which I'll sort out in the next few days and post up some.

The rally weekend (just gone) had over 90 vehicles attending which I saw a lot of on saturday before I left for the return trip, including a nice Polish built old school Ltwt on a shortened RRC with V8 , lots of D1's . It would have been good to stay to the end, but commitments and all that :( .

The Eco -campsite is very much in it's infancy and I'm sure Robert will realise his dream, it is in a lovely spot nestled in the woodland of a large forestry national park. There were 3 other UK vehicles , 300Tdi csw and 2 disco's on the greenlaning and for the whole event countries represented incl. Lithuania,Estonia , Czech Rep., Sweden , Belgium , Germany.

...and the 109 got me there and back B) , at around 30 mpg (satnav miles not speedo), and I should also say that my travelling partners Petergg and Kay were great fun to travel with and thanks for stepping in at the last minute after my mate Paul had to pull out due to work...

must go , airport run to do, photo's soon ;)

Cheers

Steveb

Here are a few pic's of the trip....

post-1339-1215281418_thumb.jpg

Camp site near the German/Polish border

post-1339-1215281499_thumb.jpg

Border crossing to Poland

post-1339-1215281589_thumb.jpg

...cobbled greenlanes for that all round Simex feel :P

post-1339-1215281662_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215281710_thumb.jpg

lots of mixed forestry laning

post-1339-1215281795_thumb.jpg

...my 109, Murray and Andre's 110csw(UK), Gurt(sp?) and Rosanna's 110HT 2.5n/a (Belgium),D2 from Cheshire LRC(UK)post-1339-1215282003_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282092_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282159_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282198_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282250_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282282_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282318_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282594_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1215282437_thumb.jpg

a few more to follow B)

Cheers

Steveb

• 3 weeks later...

... :lol: ...that would be the Cheshire LRC Chairman ....or El Presidente as we all had to call him , and his 3 attendants, a good bunch. Every morning we had the pleasure of 'reveille' played on the bugle and the raising of a white Ensign and Last Post in the evening , and lowering of the flag :P

post-1339-1216675627_thumb.jpg

So come on then Zuz which foriegn forums did you pick this up on , I was having a look for Polish forums the other day to see if i could find any posts about the event, and also anything about the Magam trophy too, which Mike, one of the green lane guides has co-driven, and sounded rather good.

post-1339-1216676090_thumb.jpg

Horses are still very much a working part of Polish life

post-1339-1216676311_thumb.jpg

The castle at Malbork....the largest brick built castle in Europe

post-1339-1216676482_thumb.jpg

Some mud in the forest...many of the forest trails are accessed with permission and payment per vehilce to the Polish Forestry commission, Robert is hoping after this first event the PFC will allow access to the rougher area's that have been recently cleared and waiting re-planting, which would be much more challenging

post-1339-1216676794_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1216676899_thumb.jpg

Mike's Zuk - lifted and fitted with carb'd vitara 1600, soon to have a winch (leccy) on the front,

post-1339-1216677130_thumb.jpg

Not sure what this is ...UAZ maybe?

post-1339-1216677264_thumb.jpg

Found this Classic Land Rover restoration business unit in Holland on the way home by chance

Cheers

Steveb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Murray,

Welcome to LR4x4. I hope you had a good trip back , I have some T shirts here for you and A. The photo from the firewatch tower is good - was worth the climb. Do you have any of the rest of your trip south?

Cheers

Steveb

Hi Murray,

Welcome to LR4x4. I hope you had a good trip back , I have some T shirts here for you and A. The photo from the firewatch tower is good - was worth the climb. Do you have any of the rest of your trip south?

Cheers

Steveb

Have a few of Auschwitz/Birkenau & Krakow , the salt mines pictures did not come out so good . What would you like to see . The 1.95 Mb limit kind of restricts what you can do .