attention clever folks

02GF74

The outside bead of the tyre does not go over the original wheel rim as it would normally do. Instead, the outside bead of the tyre is clamped between the new ring welded to the original wheel, and the outer steel ring. The bolts do not go through the tyre but are just below the clamped tyre bead.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff

Yes, that is how it works. Air is held in because the bead of the tyre is clamped between the metal rings by the bolts. Effectively, the bead becomes a gasket. By clamping the bead in this way, very low tyre pressures can be used to aid traction without the bead being forced off the rim into the well of the wheel resulting in sudden deflation when tubeless. It also ensures that the wheel cannot spin within the tyre when low pressures, high grip, high torque conditions occur.

These types of bead locks are normally fitted only to the outside bead, as the weight of the vehicle forcing on the tyre sidewall is greater on the dowhill side of a vehicle on side slopes, or 'outside of the bend' wheels when cornering so there is no need to fit them to the inside bead.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff

Yes, that is how it works. Air is held in because the bead of the tyre is clamped between the metal rings by the bolts. Effectively, the bead becomes a gasket. By clamping the bead in this way, very low tyre pressures can be used to aid traction without the bead being forced off the rim into the well of the wheel resulting in sudden deflation when tubeless. It also ensures that the wheel cannot spin within the tyre when low pressures, high grip, high torque conditions occur.

These types of bead locks are normally fitted only to the outside bead, as the weight of the vehicle forcing on the tyre sidewall is greater on the dowhill side of a vehicle on side slopes, or 'outside of the bend' wheels when cornering.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff

Inner tubes are normally used with them so they don't lose any air at all. I am pretty sure you have to use innner tubes with them anyway

Use a similar lock myself and as the man says.

There is better out there.

By the way you can buy those lock rings from the states for f... all and weld them on your self.

Big problem is centering the tyres (Oh believe me!)

Internals on the way for meself :P can not wait!

Jim :)

This is a good thread but my Q (Moglite,you there?) is about how to use smaller (like bike) inner tubes on a stoke rim to provide a beadlock. Anyone got onay links/info?

Here is a link for secondair beadlocks

I have fitted and used the Swedish Tireloc pneumatic bead locks and they are a pain to fit and change tyres.

You still get dirt/sand/gravel that works its way between the tyre bead and the rim causing air leaks and it is more difficult to rectify than with bolted bead locks.

With bolted beadlocks you have to check the bolt tension and replace broken bolts often.

For road legal use I will most likely try the system which uses self drilling screws through the inside of the bead. There was a good thread on the pirate bbs about this. In my opinion it overcomes the problems with the other methods and it should be ok with my local conditions.

Here is a link for secondair beadlocks

I have fitted and used the Swedish Tireloc pneumatic bead locks and they are a pain to fit and change tyres.

You still get dirt/sand/gravel that works its way between the tyre bead and the rim causing air leaks and it is more difficult to rectify than with bolted bead locks.

With bolted beadlocks you have to check the bolt tension and replace broken bolts often.

For road legal use I will most likely try the system which uses self drilling screws through the inside of the bead. There was a good thread on the pirate bbs about this. In my opinion it overcomes the problems with the other methods and it should be ok with my local conditions.

why not just do it the simple way as the motorcrossers do. An internal clamp which sits inside the tyres and clamps the beeds to the rim.

why not just do it the simple way as the motorcrossers do. An internal clamp which sits inside the tyres and clamps the beeds to the rim.

Sounds interesting.

Do you have any more detail? It would be nice to know what they look like and how you fit them inside the tyre.

I asked the question about Seond Air before on another thread, maybe this is a better place to ask, who has them & what are your experiences? I like the idea but not having to ship them to Scrapiron to have them fitted.

Those screws they are the same as the ones we use for fitting alloy floor plates to steel frames on the ships, they come as countersunk as well and stainless if you want. Scarry to use the first time you do it, and you had better have a very good quality drill, lost count of the ones I saw burn out while doing it :o

This is a good thread but my Q (Moglite,you there?) is about how to use smaller (like bike) inner tubes on a stoke rim to provide a beadlock. Anyone got onay links/info?

Am I here ?

Well I am now - been in France for a few days. Buying beer and wine, and not filling the Blair government pockets :P

...and this post is under the influence of cheap red wine :D

The small innertube idea is pretty untested. I've also heard of a smaller tyre being installed inside the main tyre to provide runflat/beadlockers all in one !!!!

I've been running that style of beadlocker for a couple of years.

I've never broken a bolt - 'cause I use 36 per rim

I've never had a bolt come loose - rust is natures threadlock

Innertubes are not normally used - thats me and my take on things

Centreing is easy - torquing up the bolts is a PITA :P

Mine drive prefectly on the road, no balance weights

Road illegal - can you quote constrction and use regs ?

I've never had a problem with the inner bead becoming unseated, but it is of course possible.

The way I understand it, is that the tyre can distort less with one side firmly clamped, and therefore, the inner is less likely to become unseated.

Pass the carafe.............

I've been running that style of beadlocker for a couple of years.

I've never broken a bolt - 'cause I use 36 per rim

I've never had a bolt come loose - rust is natures threadlock

Innertubes are not normally used - thats me and my take on things

Centreing is easy - torquing up the bolts is a PITA :P

Mine drive prefectly on the road, no balance weights

Road illegal - can you quote constrction and use regs ?

I've never had a problem with the inner bead becoming unseated, but it is of course possible.

The way I understand it, is that the tyre can distort less with one side firmly clamped, and therefore, the inner is less likely to become unseated.

I've got a set of these at home waiting to go on rims and I'm about to have annother set made up (for 15" rims not 16s). 36 bolts seems sensible. I'm also using nylocks after Andy's 'fun' expereince with torquing (5 attempts per bolt, 36 bolts per rim, 5 rims..... :huh: ). Centring shouldn't be an issue as the clever chap who designed mine made them so the outside of every bolt was the same diameter of the bead so they centre the tyre. He's even done a set of rims that uses locking rings on both beads. They went to the Army and apparently they loved them.

Have fitted many Secondairs now....

And the biggest problems with them .....

Muck a sh*t under the bead

And the owners who can not get there head round setting them up

Eg: If you alter the tyre pressure this alters the second air pressure so if you cahnge the second air pressure it changes the tyre pressure ect,etc.....

Some people just can not sort this out.

My own beadlocks also use 36 bolts and i luv them, But unlike Moglite i do/or have had problems centering the tyres :(

Apart from that, ACE :)

When I raced motorcross we used internal clamps, some of the trials lads would drill the rims and use screws into the sidewalls but it you think the MOT man wont like external beadlock them Im sure he will have a paddy about winding screws into the tyre carcass :(

I cant see a reason why internal beadlocks would be anything but road legal but I stand to be corrected?!?!?!

:P

.........Andy you wino - you popping up next weekend?