Superwinch EP9 Service

white90

I've had the EP9 for about 15 months now. I first stripped it to service it after six months and at that time I replaced the very thick black grease it shipped with, with some normal multi-purpose grease. As it was now 9 months on I'd thought I'd strip it again at the weekend, as it's had quite a few dunkings in that time. I also wanted to change the grease to CV grease as this had been recommended by Nick Watts (RogueVogue) and Paul Wightman when I asked. I thought this may make freespooling easier as Bish was bitching when performing winch monkey duties at 7 Sisters :rolleyes:

I took some pics, just in case they were useful to anyone. Not having read the manual :rolleyes::rolleyes: , you'll find me using my own naming scheme for the parts ;)

Winchservice001Medium.jpg

It's very easy to take apart an EP9. You start but undoing the two drum rods. Once undone you can pull apart the motor housing, gear/brake housing and the drum. Here's the gear/brake housing, also showing the motor drive rod that runs through the centre of the drum..

Winchservice002Medium.jpg

The motor housing, showing the motor gear adapter to the drive rod..

Winchservice003Medium.jpg

Motor end of drum..

Winchservice004Medium.jpg

Gearbox end of drum (Highly exciting stuff isn't it! ;);) )..

Winchservice008Medium.jpg

I appear to have been lucky again and no water or mud has passed the nylon bush on the motor end...

Winchservice007Medium.jpg

Not so lucky on the gearbox side :rolleyes: , but frankly I was expecting this. You can see the muddy grease already..

Winchservice010Medium.jpg

To release the gearbox end plate, you first turn over and undo the brake cover. Simply undo the 3 allen screws..

Winchservice011Medium.jpg

You can now see the brake cam on the end of the housing, the enclosure that activates the cam and the brake cover. The Hylomar, I used after the first strip down, seems to have kept water out and the surface rust you see on the cone brake was there on first strip down too...

Winchservice012Medium.jpg

You then undo six more allen screws that are exposed now that the brake cover is off. You can then turn over and reveal all the messy grease/mud :lol: ..

Winchservice013Medium.jpg

You can then take off the Nylon washer and lift the main planetary gear set out (upper part of pick). Often when you lift this main gear set out out comes the first of the smaller planetary gear sets. You can see the second of the smaller gear sets still in the housing. You can't get these mixed up as each has a different length output shaft..

Winchservice014Medium.jpg

You then need to split the housing in two to remove the outer ring gear. For me, a short tap with a cold chisel does the trick..

Winchservice015Medium.jpg

This exposes another nylon washer and the inner ring gear that is part of the freespool mechanism. On pulling this out I noticed that water has been getting in via the freespool lever and obviously some corrosion has developed when the winch has been stationary. This build up can stop the freespool gear from moving freely. I think the only solution here is to silicon seal up the outer part of the freespool lever where it meets the housing...

Winchservice018Medium.jpg

There seemed no need to take apart the brake mechanism and especially as I didn't have any new circlips I wasn't going too just for pics! ;) I cleaned off the rust on the housing and the freespool ring gear. I also cleaned off the gunk in all the gear sets and on the nylon washers...

Winchservice019Medium.jpg

This time the gaskets between the parts of the housing and between the housing and the end plate had perished too much, so I removed them and used hylomar to seal up on reassembly. Then it's simply a case of greasing everything again and putting back together in reverse order. I used LR one shot CV grease..

DSC09105.jpg

Finally I sanded down the rusty drum bars and gave them a couple of coats of silver paint for nothing more than aesthetic reasons ;);) Thanks to Dave, Landrover598 for the idea. They go so well with the chipping powder coat. :lol:

Winchservice021Medium.jpg

As there was no water ingress, I didn't strip down the motor so you don't get any pics of this :P .

Cheers

Steve

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy