Variable intermittent wipers

These things are a straight swap for the standard fixed-interval relay on Defenders - they really are a neat improvement.

6pi2fyf.jpg

There's a guy selling them on ebay, here, he's not describing them very well so no-one's bidding. I've had a couple myself which I've stashed away (yes, I really do intend to get out more), but he seems to have a continuing supply. Worth a look.

I just emailed him. cool tip!

wonder if they can easily be modified to fit the rear wash wipe on defenders?

About more-years-ago-than-I-care-to-remember I worked it out. If you follow this diagram carefully, all is revealed.......

7xtzf5e.jpg

• 3 years later...

Probably 2 faults.

a faulty intermittent relay, lives bhind the fusebox metal panel

park switch on the motor, not doing it's job properly

you should have

1st slow speed stalk up

2nd fast speed stalk up

intermittent wipe stalk down

wash push the stalk end & get wash plus 4 wipes.

I haven't got intermittent at all on my 300 TDI, down is single speed, up is single speed up again is double speed, park is anywhere they happen to stop

would this make any difference, is it supposed to have intermittent or does it have a worn out relay

You have a failed park switch. A new one is pretty cheap and takes about 30 mins to fit. you need to remove the lower corner of the dash to get access to the motor and switch.

• 1 year later...

Dragging this topic back up rather than starting a new one...

I would like to fit intermittent wiping to the front of my early 110 (1983). I have a relay from an early disco (think it is a red one with front wiper control written on it) which I hope someone can confirm will do the bulk of what i need. However, my stalk only has MOM down for a single wipe and 2 speeds up. Pressing only does the washers, no wipes). Presumably I need to change the stalk to a later model and add some wiring. Anyone care to point out which stalk would be needed. My wiring is currently a custom / hybrid job so no need to try and keep anything standard, just need to know best parts and minimum wiring requirements needed.

Mark

all the info inc part numbers in the link I posted in a earlier reply above

yours is the same as my '89 110 was, I had to change the wiper stalk to the later type as used on 200tdi & onwards models, the wiring is no longer supplied by LR [it's an obsolete part]

you will either have to buy the loom from here http://www.autospark...roducts_id=5128 or make one up yourself.