how do you get the injectors out?

freeagent

I've bought a new set of injectors for my 300Tdi... but i don't seem to be able to get the old ones out.... I removed the fuel pipe, the spill pipe fittings and the clamp which holds the injector in place... at this point the Haynes manual says 'withdraw the injector' but mine is stuck solid..

i cant get a spanner on it to rotate it, and don't wan't to start levering it as don't want to damage it..

is there a puller you can buy to remove them?

the new ones do look like they just push in, so i don't think i'm missing something obvious..

any tips or tricks i should know... :(

Guest diesel_jim

As Les said, i used a slidehammer. i just got two nuts (one that fitted the end of the slidehmmer and one that fitted the thread of the injectors), welded them together and then hammered away, ahem, so to speak... :moglite: )

If you're anywhere near swindon and want to borrow it, just shout.

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^ That would be even better if i hadn't deleted the piccies from photobucket... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

think i'll be re-writing it tonight and attaching the piccies instead! :lol::lol:

Guest diesel_jim

Try again:

Injector removal on 200 or 300Tdi engines.

OK, so you’ve got some new injectors to install, and the old ones just won’t budge?

post-130-1199046559_thumb.jpg

I had this on the engine I’m building up in my garage, also on my 90 when I changed them last year, they just wouldn’t budge an inch (or a millimeter!)

Even after soaking them in WD40 and trying to turn them with a spanner they wouldn’t shift.

The tool you need is a slide hammer. This is basically a shaft, about 12~15mm diameter, with a large weight, about 3lb or so, that can slide up and down. There is a threaded end and the other end has a large flange bit to stop the weight coming off.

On the threaded end you can attach a variety of things, like a wheel bearing puller, a “dent puller”, a pair of mole grips, or whatever…

In this case, you need to attach the injectors….

So, easiest (and only way!) is to get a nut that fits the thread on the injectors (on the 300Tdi it’s M14x1.5) and one that fits the end of the slide hammer.

post-130-1199046630_thumb.jpg

These need joining together… with a welder. Blue tack just won’t hack it I’m afraid.

post-130-1199046737_thumb.jpg

after welding:

post-130-1199046770_thumb.jpg

Once you’ve made the adaptor, simply screw it to the slide hammer, then onto the stuck injector, then pummel away!

pummeling! :

post-130-1199046844_thumb.jpg

Mine wouldn’t move even after this, and luckily I have the engine mounted on a movable frame, so I could turn it 180 degrees so that I was sliding the weight “downwards”, and had the added benefit of gravity helping me. This way, the injectors came straight out.

post-130-1199046876_thumb.jpg

post-130-1199046959_thumb.jpg post-130-1199046994_thumb.jpg

As you can see by the state of them, there was a fair bit of rust around them. The new ones will obviously be clean, and a liberal coating of copper-slip might help, but as they don’t get changed that often, I’d imagine that the anti-seize compound will be dried out/jetwashed out before it has any chance to actually do it’s job.

that is excellent, many thanks to all of you, especially diesel Jim.

I do have a new set of injectors but don't want to trash the ones fitted at the moment as I was planning to get them reconditioned at some point..

All i need to do now is find out where i can get 1 off M14 x1.5 nut without having to buy a box of 100...

Guest diesel_jim
All i need to do now is find out where i can get 1 off M14 x1.5 nut without having to buy a box of 100...

I'm sure i've got a spare one from when i made that adaptor up. PM me if you want it, i'll fling it in the post.

Guest diesel_jim

Good idea that Jim. B) B)

i suppose anything "heavy" that will slide on something thin would do, some decent threaded bar and a stub axle might do as well!

Or use an open ended spanner on the flats of the injector to wiggle it round left and right in the hole to loosen, then with spanner still on and its shaft resting on the clamp pin and stud, strike opposite end of spanner with a hammer a few times and the injector will pop out. This method has worked for me several times.

• 4 years later...

i cheated when i changed mine. Loosened off the nuts and fired the engine up for 5 seconds :ph34r:

took the fuel pipes + nuts off and they all came out in my hand :i-m_so_happy:

edited to add - engine only ran for 5 seconds as once the injectors had loosened in their holes, all the cylinder compressions dropped and it stalled the engine. Easy way of knowing they were loosend off!

• 3 months later...

I'm about to tackle this problem, and I also don't have a slide hammer.

I agree that using compression to shoot the injectors out sounds a bit dangerous, but as someone else has mentioned if you just loosen the retainers slightly then surely that will allow the injectors to be freed without turning into a projectile.

Or am I missing something?