Td5 intercooler into 300 disco?

Marc1187

Has anyone tried this before?

I have a good td5 intercooler sat at home doing nothing and i want to give my 300 more power (already done the usual fuel, egr, boost etc), uprated intercoolers from the many companies around today are out of my budget at the moment so i've been thinking about fitting this td5 one as it has a larger frontal area, though it has less depth. Do you think it would give a noticeable improvemant?

I know i'd have to move the rad across a bit and find/buy more pipework as the inlet/outlet pipes are at either end instead of just the one end. Woud it be worth the hassle?

It does seem to me the bigger intercoolers are way overpriced :(

I would lay the td5 one on its back and see how many litres of water it holds then do same with tdi one and i would bet theres nothing in in difference wise, due to the thickness of the TDI one.

I would wait for a 2nd hand one to come up on e-bay for the TDI.

It will also be a lot easier to fit.

My last car was a TDI 300 auto which was chipped and had a large cooler, before i sold the car i removed and sold the cooler (£120) and whilst i did notice a slight difference it was very slight less than 5% at best.

Lynall

Noticed a few full width ones on ebay fairly cheep, the problem with fitting the td5 cooler is the pipework that will have to be run from the other side of the rad, save up and get a direct replacement. also make sure the rest of the fuel system is all ok and run a bottle of redex through it. Made a noticeable difference on the last tank i ran with it in.

Hmmmmm..............

I wouldn't sugest flogging it just yet. I met a bloke with a 300tdi and the td5 intercooler and he said (so there is no guarantee here) that it had made a noticable power increase. This maybe completely wrong, however it could be correct as the intercooler is mounted at the front meaning more air can flow into it as it is more spread out? But we did have a 300tdi disco with the direct replacement brunnel performance intercooler and that was fantastic, it would completely out run a TD5 and they have 136bhp! So it maybe worth just saving up for the proper one but in the meantime to keep you busy, retro fit it.

I have thought about fitting a TD5 intercooler to my 300tdi, but as I have aircon there's no room left in the front. And I do reckon that an extra couple of feet of pipework would make any turbo lag worse. I wondered about fitting it horizontally on top of the engine as some rice-burners do, but I reckon the bonnet with scoop would end up looking quite ugly. So I reckon it'll have to wait until I can afford a more efficient cooler that fits in the existing space.