In Car PC

Guest WALFY

I've finaly got the PC running now. Got MM4 installed which all works fine apart from I can't get my GPS to talk to the PC. The GPS is on and connected to the motherboard via a 9 pin connector. When I fire it all up with the screen and GPS turned on prior I get a "Can't open Com port 1-9. I tried all ports 1 through 9 and get the same answer. When I select type of GPS by make when I select Garmin I don't get the option to change any of the other options. Mark90 (IT guru) sorted out my laptop for me with Franson GPS gate.

Can I just copy this over to the car PC and it'll all be fine. Or is there something I'm missing.

GPS is Garmin 12 XL utilising PC lead combined with power socket to GPS.

Thanks in advance from an IT numpty.

James no I don't need a toughbook ;)

Try selecting NMEA (4800, 8, None, 1) instead of Garmin. ISTR having similar trouble with GPS12 in the past...

Chris

Cheers Chris. I'll try that in the morning. Weather dependant. What does NMEA stand for and why is it better than selecting Garmin?

Wow that's some interesting reading. So from that I gather that NMEA is the universal language to use. Hopefully it'll work tomorrow then I can hardwire all the components in instead of the fly leads I have at the moment.

Guest diesel_jim

Hi Mark,

i've just got my carPC running (on the floor in the front room with a 12v car battery strapped to it! LOL!!)

i had to set my old GPS75 to "garmin serial" to get it to talk to MM.

Try selecting NMEA (4800, 8, None, 1) instead of Garmin. ISTR having similar trouble with GPS12 in the past...

Chris

Chris

Tried those settings but still no joy :( . Will get my flash drive from work tomorrow and move the Fransom file over and see if that cures my problems. If not I'll try the drop test ;);) and see if that does the trick

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried all the ideas suggested by everyone on here and it still doesn't work.

So as to bring you up to speed. My setup is

PC running XP home

MM4

12XL for GPS input

Pattern part lead to connect GPS to PC.

I can get Fransom onto my PC but it doesn't leave an icon in the bott r/h/s of the screen like it does on my laptop. And doesn't work either. I thought I had it all sorted but obviously not.

Is there a way to test that the lead from the GPS is carrying info to the laptop? Will it show as a current as in Voltage at the 9 pin plug end?

Are you saying that Franson GPS Gate doesn't install on the car PC?

Is it required? Can you not see the GPS connected directly to the com port?

Am I right in thinking the cable you're using to connect GPS to PC is 9 pin serial port at PC end and not USB?

Have you tried connecting the GPS to your laptop using this cable?

I have a data cable for a Garmin GPS 12, but I'll be needing it next weekend and I see you have an offer of another one to try anyway.

Whether you set NMEA or Garmin on the PC port settings will depend what you have the interface set to on the GPS. It's under setup menu then interface in a GPS 12. You should be able to use GRMN/GRMN or NMEA/NMEA, make sure it's not set to RTCM or NONE - this could well be why you are getting no signal on the PC com port.

Guest diesel_jim
Jamie

I think I'll try Chris's advice first then I'll just choose random settings and see if that's any better :D:D

just thinking.... my carPC i built has 4 serial ports. when i boot up garmin "mapsource" (the very basic map software that you can get, and download/upload maps/waypoints/routes etc to garmin's) you can select whichever port it's plugged into, or select "auto" and i'll scan them to look.

might pay to try that, at least you'll be able to positively confirm which port you're using and hence eliminate one extra source of confusion.

shout if you want a copy of it.

Are you saying that Franson GPS Gate doesn't install on the car PC?

I can see it on the HD. But that's it. I took it across on a flash drive. I'm sure I took it over in it's entirety.

Is it required? Can you not see the GPS connected directly to the com port?

Not sure. When I tried before it allowed me to search COM ports. Shows nothing

Am I right in thinking the cable you're using to connect GPS to PC is 9 pin serial port at PC end and not USB?

Yes that's correct

Have you tried connecting the GPS to your laptop using this cable?

No not yet. Will it work without the cig power lead connected. DOH I can take the laptop to the PC :blink:

I have a data cable for a Garmin GPS 12, but I'll be needing it next weekend and I see you have an offer of another one to try anyway.

Whether you set NMEA or Garmin on the PC port settings will depend what you have the interface set to on the GPS. It's under setup menu then interface in a GPS 12. You should be able to use GRMN/GRMN or NMEA/NMEA, make sure it's not set to RTCM or NONE - this could well be why you are getting no signal on the PC com port.

Will play with that tomorrow

Thanks for the advice.

I can see it on the HD. But that's it. I took it across on a flash drive. I'm sure I took it over in it's entirety.

If you copied the program files across it would be better if you actually ran the installation file on the new PC that way you can be sure everything is there. If you don't have the install it can be downloaded from Fransom.

Will it work without the cig power lead connected

Yes if you have batteries in the GPS :)

The power and data are totally seperate, they use different pins/wires.

Getting frustrated now so will try it tonight

Right now I'm sat in my car in the carpark. Sad or what

9 pin is female on the lead and female on the laptop :( . But when I put a meter on the lead from the GPS. Of the 9 terminals I get readings on 3.

0.03v

3.25v then 0v then 3.25v and repeat

5.1v

Nothing on the other 6

Edit Changed GPS to nmea/nmea. Still doesn't want to play

Thanks Ralph. I'll check which terminals are giing which reading. I'm assuming that the flutuating reading is the data out of the GPS.

All in all I think I can assume that my lead is working. Otherwise I'd get no readings?

Walfy have you checked you are on the right port, mine is 5 I think, but on the PDA it runs on 7.

When I open up MM it just comes up with "can't open Com port *" (*=number of com port)

So I then went through ports 1 thru 9 and tried them all. Did that with the setting Garmin and NMEA on the settings. Still nothing. As I'm only changing a port setting I don't have to reboot each try do I. Or do I?

Mark

It was on Garmin so changed it to NMEA. Still no joy. Now it's daylight I'll go and have another look at the setup. And check for silly mistakes. It can only be something silly. Like it was last time when you sorted the laptop out for me. :D .

MAny thanks for all the ideas though. Jamie is sending me some stuff to try, hopefully I'll sort it and not need his bits.

• 1 month later...

After lots of mails to a few IT gurus. (well they know more than me) and it now all works. :D:D:D . To say I'm chuffed is an understatement.

Now the problem I have is mounting the screen on a flexi arm. I remember Ralph sending me a link but I seem to of mislaid that. I was looking at the cars at JST's event last week and there are some nice looking read expensive mounts there.

So I'm after a mount to take a 10.4" screen weighing just under a KG. Any ideas.