Land Rovers to pay to go any where in London

Videoman

I've done a search of the boards but haven't found any mention of Ken's latest wheeze - the Low Emission Zone (LEZ). I haven't quite fathomed how Land Rovers are rated as commercial vehicles but when I checked my vehicles on the Transport for London site ( http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez ) my 1965 109 was OK but both my 1993 90SV and my 2001 Tomb Raider will be allowed into London for free after 4th Feb 2008 but will have to pay at least £100/day after October 2010! :angry:

Any thoughts, any one?

I've done a search of the boards but haven't found any mention of Ken's latest wheeze - the Low Emission Zone (LEZ). I haven't quite fathomed how Land Rovers are rated as commercial vehicles but when I checked my vehicles on the Transport for London site ( http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez ) my 1965 109 was OK but both my 1993 90SV and my 2001 Tomb Raider will be allowed into London for free after 4th Feb 2008 but will have to pay at least £100/day after October 2010! :angry:

Any thoughts, any one?

Yep

Another good reason not to go into the cespit otherwise known as "London" :) ?

Nige

There are a lot of things I'd like to do to Red Ken - none of them are legal or pleasant! The man is a buffoon of the highest order. I only hope this issue, because it doesn't just affect those in the centre of London, will finally result in us seeing the back of him.

How much longer will you lot put with this complete and utter bull**** that you get in the Uk

The stuff i read on here and in papers (yeah we get the Mail and the Times plus other UK papers here) and hear on the news, you are getting taxed more and more by the day

I get asked quite often if i miss the Uk

I always say not the country but miss my brother and my mates . The more i hear of things like this the less and less i ever want to moveback to the UK :angry:

Ali

Any thoughts, any one?

A thread here on LRO

How much longer will you lot put with this complete and utter bull**** that you get in the Uk

The stuff i read on here and in papers (yeah we get the Mail and the Times plus other UK papers here) and hear on the news, you are getting taxed more and more by the day

I get asked quite often if i miss the Uk

I always say not the country but miss my brother and my mates . The more i hear of things like this the less and less i ever want to moveback to the UK :angry:

Ali

Because obviously you have no taxes down there, everything is free and it's a perfect country to live in. Or is it the Aussies don't winge to the rest of the world about their problems. Every country has it's good and bad points. It's just that we as Brits only shout about the bad.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do to Red Ken - none of them are legal or pleasant! The man is a buffoon of the highest order. I only hope this issue, because it doesn't just affect those in the centre of London, will finally result in us seeing the back of him.

Well said that man

It needs to be euro III by 2010.

I can't see how TD5s are not euro III, as if they were not Land Rover would not have been allowed to sell them after 1st Jan 2001 when all vehicles had to be euro III by law. Did they do a mod or were they all euro III ? (which I would have thought they were)

So your Tomb Raider should be fine.

My opinion was this was going to hit older diesel vehicles such as 300TDi and earlier. By the time it comes in you are talking about vehicles around 12 years and older. Classic registered vehicles are exempt.

Unfortunately now we have a London mayor (who costs us a fortune) it will not change even if a new candidate gets the job.

Having visited the centre of London in the summer I would agree that diesel fumes are a problem. Unfortunately while sorting out all the old vans, buses and taxis some land rovers are going to get caught.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and slag off the mayor/city/country but most of the people who have to work and live in central London will appreciate the difference.

Richard

It needs to be euro III by 2010.

I can't see how TD5s are not euro III, as if they were not Land Rover would not have been allowed to sell them after 1st Jan 2001 when all vehicles had to be euro III by law. Did they do a mod or were they all euro III ? (which I would have thought they were)

So your Tomb Raider should be fine.

My opinion was this was going to hit older diesel vehicles such as 300TDi and earlier. By the time it comes in you are talking about vehicles around 12 years and older. Classic registered vehicles are exempt.

Unfortunately now we have a London mayor (who costs us a fortune) it will not change even if a new candidate gets the job.

Having visited the centre of London in the summer I would agree that diesel fumes are a problem. Unfortunately while sorting out all the old vans, buses and taxis some land rovers are going to get caught.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and slag off the mayor/city/country but most of the people who have to work and live in central London will appreciate the difference.

Richard

Isn't a 300tdi Euro III???? I know my 2.8 is and that's not that far removed from a 300.

As far as appreciating the differance - I'd rather have the extra £100 a day in my pocket thank you very much.

Any thoughts, any one?

As I understood it if your TDI was of a CSW type then it was regarded as a private car and was exempt, but if it were hard top or truck cab then it wasn't - maybe the system thinks your tomb raider is not exempt because it was registered before Jan 2002? Even though it is Euro III compliant..

Because obviously you have no taxes down there, everything is free and it's a perfect country to live in. Or is it the Aussies don't winge to the rest of the world about their problems. Every country has it's good and bad points. It's just that we as Brits only shout about the bad.

:lol::lol:

I'm looking at it in detail and the cost of living is substantially less then living in the south of England and my particular profession is fairly sort after and it could be a less stressful life IMHO to bring up a family.

I was sold the moment I found out the southern hemisphere don't have pikies :lol:

But that my out look

The attitude towards people for the type of car they drive is concentrated in the UK and more fitting of a type if racism or class assumption, reverse snobbery as the economic modes are then wrongly criticized for there size.

:D:D:D

Nah they have taxes here and although they call poms wingers when they moan like hell that fuel is 45 pence a ltr and the average cost of a house with 4 bedrooms large garage and pool in the cneter of Brisbane is creeping up towards the sky high price of £180,000 :o:)

Every country has its problems , :) and pretty much every where ever you live you have to pay tax so you might as well make the surroundings and weather nice :)

And nah the brits (having now seen it from outside) tend to be too polite and don't winge like alot of other countries therefore the goverment just go ahead and do what they want

Where as here if the goverment do somthing that they don't like they call it Totally un Australian and this means " Umm Nah you don't , we are not having it "

Did this with when the do gooders wanted no bull bars , and plenty of other things

After all look at what the french do . Ok they may be Oiks but it works :)

Ali

Isn't a 300tdi Euro III???? I know my 2.8 is and that's not that far removed from a 300.

As far as appreciating the differance - I'd rather have the extra £100 a day in my pocket thank you very much.

I don't think so, it was developed yonks ago, which the 2.8 wasn't.

Euro II was upcoming in the future when the 300TDi was develpoed so it would probably have been built to pass those requirements.

Due to the long life of land rovers this can been seen as unfair and we have been caught up in the legislation, but when the rules come in it will apply to vehicles 12 years old or more. I am saying there is a bigger picture and it's unfortunate that we have been included because our vehicles last far longer than most others. I don't know any companies that run commercial vehicles older than 12 years. (And some of those over 12 will pass!)

Don't forget that there are already a few options to convert earlier vehicles and as the date approaches more options will become available.

Also many non-euro III vehicles will pass because it's only the Particulate Matter part of the euro III legislation that applies. They have not applied the full standards as (allegedly) many of thier own vehicles failed the other parts and it would have cost them too much to upgrade the bus fleet.

I've dealt with this quite a bit... fleet of 90 minibuses and a few coaches.

Richard

many of thier own vehicles failed the other parts and it would have cost them too much to upgrade the bus fleet.

no longer owned by London, there all Private bus companies now, still only red because thats the LOndon recognised colour for in central area buses.

Another good reason not to go into the cespit otherwise known as "London" :) ?

The problem is, this is just the thin end of the wedge. Livingstone is being used to test the water with these schemes. If they can get away with it in London, then they'll start rolling-out similar schemes all over the UK.

Some cities are already looking at a congestion charging zone or banning vehicles over a certain age from central areas.

It's all being done 'for the sake of the environment', which is total b****cks. As with ALL politicians, it's about grabbing money and the motorist is an easy target.

Paul.

no longer owned by London, there all Private bus companies now, still only red because thats the LOndon recognised colour for in central area buses.

You are correct, but my point was it's not Euro III in full, it's only the Particulate parts of the regulations.

It's all being done 'for the sake of the environment', which is total b****cks. As with ALL politicians, it's about grabbing money and the motorist is an easy target.

Paul.

This green issue is a wet dream for a Goverment

They want more money and impose a tax for what ever and everone moans. BUT impose a tax for a "Evormental Issue" then it is not PC to argue against the tax , as your are seen to not wanting to save the planet. Even though you are paying extra tax for God Knows what and God Knows where it is going , and with china and the US doing what the hell they like . Does what you do / pay make a blind bit of differance ummmmm NO . 62 million of you lot in the UK doing the right thing and 350 (ish i think) Million at least in Us and loads and loads more in china undo everything .

Big Question Why the hell should we bother

Ok rant off

So we should have no pollution standards/fines at all as it's a load of balls to raise money and go back to the days of smog then?

After all, if pollution standards are only for tax and not to reduce pollution we would still have smog so bad you can't see your hand 2m in front of you some days.

Oh, hang on... we don't have that anymore because standards came in that worked.

While I agree that a lot of what the government does is carp it does not mean it all is. There is a difference between local pollution (like in cites) and global pollution too.

I get the feeling I'm in the minority here that thinks sometimes the bigger picture is worth it...

BTW, I'll still have my 300TDi pick up when the rules come in. But it will have an exhaust trap to catch the excess particulates if needed so that it passes. The fine is so high to make people convert vehicles. If it was £5 per day people would fork out (and moan) each day instead and in the long run the government would probably earn more.

Right, I'm off now. :) Tomorrow I'll just say it's a load of balls. Saves time looking in to it or having a balanced discussion because the government are only interested in one thing... Money. ;)

Richard

I hope the surrounding County Councils will tell him where to get off, He always seems to overstep his none elected post.

and which non elected post are you on about then ?

if he's doing such a bad job down there why does he keep getting re-elected, each time with an increased percent of the vote ?