Discovery TD5 rear door wont open!

landroversforever

Yes i know about changing the spring, but is there any other way i can do it quickly. as i really want to be able to colletc my new bike this afternoon. but mom has text me to say it wont open! :angry:

is there annother quick fix. even if it is only tempory to last being opened and closed twice? :(

Thanks in advance!!!!

Are you sure it isn't the usual Disco rear door disease - handle jammed? All you need to do is pop out the LR badge from the outside handle, push down on the inside of the flap and then it will open. Lots of WD40 and working it back and forth sees it moving freely again, until the next time. It is more a Tdi fault but I think it also afflicts Td5 age vehicles.

done it before so it must be the spring.

You are mistaken.

If your spring had gone it would do this every single time, without ever opening. The only way to open a spring failed door is either by pulling up the pop up button whilst trying the handle OR using the key at full travel in the lock, again whilst operating the handle. You managed to open the door by using a short sharp opening movement which definately would not work on a spring failed door.

As correctly pointed out by Bogmonster, what you're experiencing is typical Discovery rear door jamming, especially as its this time of year. You can resolve this only by doing as described i.e. remove rear badge and apply lots of WD40. :rolleyes:

This problem is caused by a build up of muck on the door mechanism which is nearly always made worse in winter, which is why so many posters, just like yourself, report this problem during the colder months.

• 2 years later...

Morning all,

as above my rear door wont open, that is it wont unlock. Ive managed to open it from the inside and now have a cord running from the internal handle through the dog guard to the rear seats.....

From what I can work out this points to an actuator issue not the spring or seized lock as once opened from inside and then closed it can be opened from outside all day until the central locking is acticated.

Anyone check my theory please?

Cheers,

Phil.

:unsure:

Does the TD5 rear door have the same lock/spring mechanism as the series 1 Disco's?

I know the side doors don't and the whole mechanism needs to be replaced when it fails.

?????

I wouldn't know this one, its my first Disco....Series door locks didn't have central locking!!!

Open to the floor....

Cheers, Phil.

Does the TD5 rear door have the same lock/spring mechanism as the series 1 Disco's?

I know the side doors don't and the whole mechanism needs to be replaced when it fails.

No

Disco 1 MXC2008

Disco 2 FQR100570

From youre desciption i would agree with youre diagnosis being the Actuator, sorry cant find part number

HTH

Tony

No

Disco 1 MXC2008

Disco 2 FQR100570

From youre desciption i would agree with youre diagnosis being the Actuator, sorry cant find part number

HTH

Tony

Cheers Tony, thought its best to get 2nd opinion ... looking up numbers now!

Phil ;)

• 8 years later...