trimming the wheel arch spats

gsr341

hi , sorry for posting so many new topics of late , its just im starting to mod my 90 and want to learn from every one elses experiances /mistakes :P

any way , im going to very shortly (after ive moved the exhaust out of the way) fitting 34-10.5 simex jungle treakers to my defender ,

what is the best way to trim the wheel arch spats , hack saw :unsure: stanly knife :o and how much do most of you cut away , dont want to take too much off and it look a bit unbalanced

cheers

when I did my heavy trimming of the arches I used Masking tape to practise shape and get how I wnated and a fine blade in jigsaw and then a file.... (oh and these are 34 x 10.50 x 16 Simex JTs)..........

Mask up ALL of them so your sure they are equally marked .....then gulp & cut !

Picture179Medium.jpg

Picture177Medium.jpg

Picture176Medium.jpg

also on the rear end I trimmed the metal work "Level" to help clearance and arch shape...

Picture180Medium.jpg

Nige

Not as pretty but I just did a quick chalk line and cut with a hacksaw. I was keen to get my simex on at the time.

Have since trimmed the rear quarter panel rather like Nige (but a little higher making the rear crosmember easier to jet wash) AND pulled the arch back as it was catching the 35"s when articulated.

gallery_9_1_4265.jpg

hi , sorry for posting so many new topics of late , its just im starting to mod my 90 and want to learn from every one elses experiances /mistakes :P

any way , im going to very shortly (after ive moved the exhaust out of the way) fitting 34-10.5 simex jungle treakers to my defender ,

what is the best way to trim the wheel arch spats , hack saw :unsure: stanly knife :o and how much do most of you cut away , dont want to take too much off and it look a bit unbalanced

cheers

Hi mate

I cut the spats on my 90 a few weeks ago useing tin snips they worked a treat.

Chris

Hot air gun, Very thick leather gloves, a few pieces of wood and a tiny bit of trimming, :)

Heat arch, bend to new profile, cover with lots of cold water, trim tiny excess from inside of lower lip and hey presto, big arches to cover tyres properly and even look standard :D:D

Billing.jpg

35x13.5x16s + 2inch lift

Lara.