Winch web

Mo Murphy

There was something about it recently - I thought it was on here but maybe it was in a mag? I just did a google but "winch web" just turns up every website about winches which isn't useful. I'll see if I can find the item in a mag tonight if nobody else replies. I was thinking maybe Lifting & Crane Services but I can't see it on their site.

But I think the view was that while the web was cheap, you couldn't splice repair it like ordinary string, and it was too easily cut on any sort of edge then it would just tear and was F*ed.

Does anyone know of a website where winch web winching strap is sold from ?

Bought it, fitted to winch, went to JBS @ Slindon last spring, snapped it, sent it back for refund, got proper rope. form these guys:

masterpull

Problem is it rolls over itself on the drum.

Details of my experiment can be found here:

April 2005 Slindon - Kent LRC

Don't bother, not suitable for our kind of winching.

Cheers

Peter

Kent LRC

Edited by Peter

Thanks for the replies chaps, I was unable to find anything on the net either Stephen. Thanks for the link Mark, that's interesting reading ! Matt, do give us some feedback on how you get on with the line.

Peter, thanks for your input, I have one question from looking at the photos on the Kent LRC website :

Did the line break as a result of slipping off the pulley wheel on the snatch block and getting jammed down the side of it ?

I ask this since this seems to be a common cause of failure of this line ?

cheers :)

Mo

Basically

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY they are cheap, but not Plasma.......friend got hold of some, binned it after 1 session off road...

Nige

Pooh to you Nige!

The one we have abused the hell out of for TOR is still - annoyingly intact despite every attempt to cmpletely bugger it. It's a Samson Products jobbie (Lifting and Crane) and it might be cheap but it's okay.

I think the thing that puts me off the web as much as anything, is the fact that you can't fix it unless you have a sailmaker's sewing machine in the back of the vehicle (which I guess most don't...!)

One of the things I really like about the Dyneema - and I have thankfully not had to do this yet - is that if you DO break it, 5 mins work and you can have it fixed and ready for another go :) no go with wire, and no go with this stuff. Could make the difference between a very long day and "oops" and back on the go in a matter of minutes - and was one of the big reasons I changed, I snapped a wire rope once in a PITA situation and don't care to repeat the experience (though it is amazing what a knot tied in a wire rope in a fit of temper will stand up to...just don't expect to get it undone again :blink: )

White90's links were interesting (well one of them was, the other one I couldn't access)

If I ever got any of this web stuff I think it would be as an extension line rather than as a winch line, but as I already have a Dyneema extension it'll be a while yet before I need anything.

Does anybody know what the rated breaking strain is? String is huge - I think the 10mm Dyneema I use is supposed to be something like 22000lb when new - what's this stuff?

Peter, thanks for your input, I have one question from looking at the photos on the Kent LRC website :

Did the line break as a result of slipping off the pulley wheel on the snatch block and getting jammed down the side of it ?

I ask this since this seems to be a common cause of failure of this line ?

cheers :)

Mo

Mo,

I don't think so, the bit that snapped was no-where near the pulley, at the time, I was attempting to pull a 110 up a steep slope, with my 90. :rolleyes: Managed to pull the 90 but not the 110 - something about physics..

Steve, who was with me also snapped his 'plasma' (can't remember which make - if not 'plasma'), pulling a Disco up the same slope to get the punch. Paul Whiteman spliced it back together for him.

A few weeks after when we returned to Slindon, had another look at the site, and the area of this pull - the only other explaination could be that it touched (at full strectch) one of the flints on the slope, anyway had sent if back by then. The company said they had only ever had one other snap and that showed signs of knife cuts. They tested the rest of the webbing I had returned to see if it was just a duff length - they could not find anything wrong with it.

However at the end of the day, I found it very difficult to use on a front winch drum, as it kept wrapping itself

onto itself - like the opposite of unwinding a roll of sticky tape. And 'hitting the winch rails' after, a short amount of winching. Unlike rope or cable that may bunch, but not to the extent this did up over itself.

Crane and lifting - acted very professionaly.

I agree with others, that it would make a handy extension. But can't remember the loading for it.

Best bet is to try it yourself I suppose, like most things - what doesn't work for one person, might suit another. BTW it got very hot on my T-max bottom layer.

Another point that did worry me a bit, was you could not guage the winching power, unlike layers of rope.

I was told by one of the more experienced winchers that is was not upto the job. Oh well always nice to try new ideas don't you think :)

Just read this on offroaders rant page

webbing has been updated a bit, it now has 2 red stress threads sown in the middle. These splinter and come through the surface if its overloaded or abbraded. So if you see red thread - then bin it.

Peter