CRANK SEAL

mikmon

hi all

well my first post on here so here go,s, Im having a nightmare trying to sort the crank seal on my disco 300tdi, iv done it or should i say tried to do it 3 times in as many weeks but i still keep losing oil out through it any idea,s ?

cheers mik

Are you using a genuine seal, or an aftermarket one?

The seal should come with a plastic applicator, are you using it to fit the new seal, and are you using a new gasket with it?

Les.

hi les and cheers for replyin to post !

i would guess at it being an after market one it was bought from MM4x4 also i fitted a new O ring i never had a applicator when i fitted it i used the crank seal to push it into place !it was flush with casing

mik

pn 15

hi Re. pn15 i take it thats the crank seal les was talking about ! the seal i fitted was just the rubber sael that that fits into the crank housing behind the crank gear , the one the the back of the crank gear fits into , do u see where im coming from ?

mik

hi all well done as told got genuine part but i still got the leak ! the seal is fitted fine and the crank gear is a new one cause i fitted a update kit , what i have noticed is the the 0 ring at back of gear might not be sitting correct but i would not of thought the oil was leaking from there cause there is quite a but leaking out ! any idea,s

thanks mik

hi les well its coming from behond the crank gear i think but not 100% it coming where crank come through seal ! could it be crank bearing play i say that but there is no signs of play or niose from bearing that i can tell !

cheers mik

If the front main bearing had sufficient wear in it to cause oil to leak out of the seal - it would make a right old racket when the engine is running - heavy knocking noise. Is the housing where the oil seal sits in good condition? Sometimes these are damaged because someone in the past levered against it to remove the timing belt sprocket. How hard was it to fit the oil seal, did it go in very easily, or did you have to knock it in?

Les.

hi les cheeers for getting back mate !

well like i said its sounds ok when running engine that is , and to be honest i never really cheaked the housing that closely but im gonna have to take a look the weekend cause i bet im losing about 50ml of oil if i drive for a good half hour !

As for when seal was fitted it was well tight what i done was sit it square and then put the crank gear on backwards and thightened it up which in turn puushed the seal in nice and square and flush ! like i said before not sure if the O ring is going right home dont think oil would leak from where it is comong from if it was O ring would it .

mik

The O-ring only prevents oil from coming out between the crank and sprocket/pulley. Once the oil seal is fitted - do you put grease on the lip of the seal and also on the suface of the sprocket that runs on it? If it's not lubricated, the lip of the seal can be damaged during fitting.

Les.

thats wohat i thought about the O ring mate , and yeh the seal had a little grease but not loads like i said il have it off agian the weekend and make sure i do all that you have said plus have a good look at caseing .

les the crank seal is only suppossed to fit flush with the caseing int it ? il let u know how i got on after the weekend mate cheers for yur time !

mik

The seal should be pressed fully home into the housing (it'll only go so far). Having said that, it doesn't matter if it isn't - the important thing being that the lip of the seal bears on the 'land' of the sprocket. Sometimes a seal lip will wear a groove in the land and it's therefore a good idea to slightly relocate the seal to prevent leaks. You are fitting a new sprocket, so it doesn't really apply to you. If you can't find the problem and are getting a bit sick (but expert :) ) of stripping the timing cover down, then perhaps the sprocket is at fault. It might be worth getting it checked to make sure the seal land is round - it could be a manufacturing problem.

Les.

mik, I hope you didn't fit the britpart sprocket. I had one of those, some photos here. It was unacceptable for the reason I gave in the link, I bought a genuine one but I still tried it out on the crankshaft. Surprise, surprise ... the inside diameter was too big, you could wiggle it on the crankshaft ... then the key channel was about 0.5 mm too wide (tested with a new key as well) ... then, compared to the old sprocket and with the new genuine one, the surface in contact with the seal was waaaaay to rough.

I still have it somewhere, just need to figure out who's window I will break with it :ph34r:

If you were unlucky to get one of those sprockets then there's no wonder you have a leak there.

I have one question, not too relevant but when did the leak start, before or after fitting the new parts?

hi cipx

cheers for that not sure it will apply but il look , the sprocket was in a kit not sure off he top of me head who by though ! and put it this way i bought the truck around end of jan , and after a few day i worked out something was amiss i thought maybe injection pump timing slight out or something so i thought id take a look , on removing the timing belt cover out came a gush of oil ! i would say about a cup full , sothe problem was there before i changed the sprocket , but as i said to les its all coming apart again tomorrow so il take a good look at the sproket , i gotta admit im not the best with motors but i can find my way round but this is a real tester !

cheers mik

hi les

no mate its deff the crank cause last time i done it i noticed a little run of oil coming from the back of the crank gear mate but as ot was late and i needed the motor on the road i thought i see wot happened , lol which is it leaks loads seems worse under pressure thats why i questioned the crank bearing mate !

mik