Where to get a manual that isn't 50 Quid?

Need some sort of manual for a 83/84 Defender 110'. The more detailed the better, I do love some pictures :) . Also where do these handy exploded diagrams I've seen on the forum with LR part numbers come from? The LR manual perhaps? Anywhere I can get one (CD is ok, would prefer book, can't bring computer out the garage) that isn't quite so expensive? Thanks.

I can't answer your question directly since I paid nearly £50 for my official one and to be frank - I find it's usefulness limited (that's me being diplomatic). There are downloadable manuals around and I am sure that someone will tell you where soon... But I would far rather have a decent exploded diagram than 10 pages of "remove this (see section 10.13) - remove that (see section 13.10)" etc... It's usually bldy obvious what needs removing - I just want to know how. :rolleyes:

Now a downloadable parts catalog with loads of exploded and cut-away diagrams would be useful... :lol:

TwoSheds

Need some sort of manual for a 83/84 Defender 110'. The more detailed the better, I do love some pictures :) . Also where do these handy exploded diagrams I've seen on the forum with LR part numbers come from? The LR manual perhaps? Anywhere I can get one (CD is ok, would prefer book, can't bring computer out the garage) that isn't quite so expensive? Thanks.

Several Pointers here, and I do bear in mind that different people have different preferences, so I'm not saying you MUST follow a course of action, just presenting alternatives.

PC in the garage.

You would not be the first person to obtain a cast off PC, probably a laptop is the most versatile, so you can use it in the garage.

Whether you get it from a friend who has just thrown an ex-works one in a cupboard, say; or whether you buy one off an auction site, small ad, local computer store, etc, just depends on personal circumstances.

Pictures.

Whether the manual has pictures is an unalterable given, we cannot change what is in the product.

Parts information is separate to Workshop manuals.

Sourcing.

Starting with free, the first place I look is Green Oval, RAVE CD 2 covers the Defender. http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php?opt...3&Itemid=29

Points to be aware of:

RAVE was ONLY ever produced for use by Dealers. Every copy you see is an unofficial rip-off.

You need to be computer literate enough to convert the Image file into a CD (then copy CD contents to your hard drive as a perfect mirror, and run from the rave.exe file on your Hard Drive. The physical CD is your back-up).

The CD was produced in 1995, or thereabouts. There may be differences between that and your 83/84, but I can't tell, not having that detailed knowledge.

Parts info isn't as readily available, but Green Oval has Microcat so consider taking that. There is a learning curve to operating the software.

Other Free Sources.

Look in the Tech Archive in this Forum, there are leads to different sites, PDF Town is one, another has 'ee' in the url and that's how I recognise it. Both these tend to be private scans of paper books, whereas RAVE is the Land Rover version, and is more professional.

You may find other sites with the same files copied on to them.

A Pukka Source.

These are available from different retailers, but the closest to Land Rover Home is 'Gaydon', the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust.

These CD's are scans of original books, but include 'everything', Owners Handbook, Workshop Manuals, Parts listings, Accessory lists, Special Model Supplements, anything and everything they had to hand.

You won't find a more complete source of information anywhere, without buying original paper copies from secondhand stalls.

I've never seen Technical or Service Bulletins for these older vehicles being available on-line or on CD.

The Heritage CDs are professionally produced, but copy protected to the nth degree. You cannot Copy / Paste, although you can print from them. If you want to copy a diagram to post on a Forum Question you have to use a utility like PDF995, which you install as a Printer. A 'print' to that printer becomes a crippled PDF file on your hard drive, which you can then copy as required.

You HAVE to have the CD in the drive while using these. People will tell you they can copy Games CDs so they can copy these. Don't believe them.

Personally, for my 38A I have always used RAVE, occasionally printing pages as required.

For Series 2 information I have the Gaydon CD, but struggle to find information, partially due to the idiosyncratic Indexing created by the CD compilers (an outside firm). Thus, when I had access to a Works printer I printed off the Workshop Manual and use that. I tend not to use the parts information, so stick with the CD for the rare occasions I want to look up outdated information.

Land Rover 90, 110 & 127 1983 to 1989 is on the page http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/sho...r-bm/index.html but if I were you I'd browse the shop as there may be other knick-knacks you will want at the same time.

I think that covers everything you have asked.

Thats a very comprehensive answer from David, the only thing i can add is that I personally find the exploded parts diagrams from the parts catalogue invaluable - often more so that the workshop manual, so I tend to have the haynes manual for the vehicle, as it's readlily available and dosn't merely go down the route of 'take special tool 28 and hit it with special tool number 1' , and the parts catalogue from land. I have quite a collection these days on paper, but very little electronically.

I bought a CD Rom from landrover, it was supplied by Britpart but looking at it is exactly the same as the offical manuals, even says made by landrover, only 15 quid too!

Dave.

Does this have lots of exploded diagrams? (I asked in the Land Rover shop but they didn't know - too interested in selling fleeces and leather hats methinks)

TwoSheds

Yep its exactly the same as the 900 odd page book you can buy from your dealer or paddocks ect. It also includes the water ingress manual, Parts catologue and loads of other bits.

Part no. BLHP26

Thats for the 90/110/127 83-89 CD ROM

Dave.

Most of the 'exploded' parts diagrams that I included in my replies comes from my EPC disks.

I've seen your write ups in the Tech archive about using EPC with XP and Vista, and I know some people prefer it to Microcat, but I haven't seen an on-line source that an American could use to pick-up a copy, so I didn't mention it. Do you know of one?

I don't recall ever culling a picture from Microcat, I'm sure it has a 'print image' option, so perhaps I could print to the PDF995 application to derive a file copy.

Belay that, I did one for that TD5 leak thread, so it is possible :-))

Im looking for a Defender 90 one for the new SLOTH defender, sorry PUMA i mean

For something that new, http://www.landRoverTechInfo.com as the manuals have never appeared on CD.

Assuming you want a Workshop Manual, you will have to pay, but you will have to research the site to find out how much :-)

Owners Handbooks come free, and can be accessed via the same link.

For something that new, http://www.landRoverTechInfo.com as the manuals have never appeared on CD.

Assuming you want a Workshop Manual, you will have to pay, but you will have to research the site to find out how much :-)

Owners Handbooks come free, and can be accessed via the same link.

Thanks, on my way in for a search, cheers

Woah! Lots of info. Thanks a bunch everyone.

On a side note about copying disc's that do not wish to be copied. I've only done it once but it worked. I had a DVD movie that was encrypted something fierce. I tried all the tricks I knew and couldn't copy it. A friend of mine came to help and brought a roll of electric tape... I was thinking what you are probably thinking. It depends on how it's done but one way is they add whatever the security info is at the very end of the disk. If you have ever looked at the back you can see changes in color, from where the blank disk (the outside ring) meets the information (the inside ring). With that type of encryption you can see a tiny ring at the border between the two bigger ones. (It was about 1mm thick.) Cut the tape about the size of a stamp and place it on the back of the disk so it obstructs that tiny ring. It doesn't madder how much of the blank is obstructed but you don't want to cover any of the information. The drive simply can't read the security ring and disregards it as corrupted info. Placement of the tape needs to be pretty close but not microscopic. I was surprised it actually worked. Might want to give it a try the next time you run into anything that is insistent that it doesn't want to be copied.

Another example of low tech showing high tech what for. :P

Don't know of a on-line EPC, but I'm happy to supply a copy of mine if anyone wants it. ;)

Western, does your EPC disc cover the 2.5TD and 200Tdi models? If so I'd be interested in a copy.

Cheers

Mick

What is the EPC? I missed it, I too would most likely be interested in a copy.

it a electronic copy on disk of all models parts catologues upto & including the TD5 engine & R380 main gearbox, mine covers upto the 2002 updates, PM your addresss if you want a set [2 x cd's] I've just got enough cd's left.

Western, does your EPC disc cover the 2.5TD and 200Tdi models? If so I'd be interested in a copy.

If this is of any use, it's a PDF of the defender 110 parts catalog, from 1987 on. It's 30MB

Has part numbers and exploded diagrams. It's all I use for my truck.

Covers:

2.5 petrol and diesel

2.5 TD

200 and 300tdi

V8 Carb

LT77/R380/LT85

Axles

Suspension

Vehicle and engine controls

brakes

Fuel/Exhaust/Cooling System

Body Electrical and chassis