Auto Box reverse light? + Starter Inhibitor

keithjh

Hi All,

Couple of questions for you wiring experts

Vehicle was a V8 110 CSW (1988) now a 300 TDI with Auto Box

How is the reverse light wired up?

How do i wire the starter inhibitor up so it wont start in Drive or Reverse?

All answers greatly appreciated

Regards

Keith

Start inhibit should only allow it to start in P or N. I'd be tempted to wire in a bypass switch while you're there, leave it off for the MOT and the wife but you can enable it for off-roading.

Assuming you have a wire or two for the reverse light switch, it'll either connect the wire to ground when in R or connect the two wires together when in R, if you have a meter or test-light (or sidelight) you can test it.

You will have two pairs of wires from the gearbox. Each colour with a corresponding white stripe partner (sorry it was a year ago I did this!!). Using a multimeter on the wires you can establish which pair does what. The P/N inhibitor you wire into the ignition switch - relay trigger for the starter motor. This is a red and white wire that runs to the starter relay. Best place to break into it is behind the fusebox. NB. There are 2x red/white wires and you need to get the correct one!! The reverse light you wire into your current reverse light wires (that you disconnected from the previous gearbox - they all have them).

More specific details on this thread - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13150

You will have two pairs of wires from the gearbox. Each colour with a corresponding white stripe partner (sorry it was a year ago I did this!!). Using a multimeter on the wires you can establish which pair does what. The P/N inhibitor you wire into the ignition switch - relay trigger for the starter motor. This is a red and white wire that runs to the starter relay. Best place to break into it is behind the fusebox. NB. There are 2x red/white wires and you need to get the correct one!! The reverse light you wire into your current reverse light wires (that you disconnected from the previous gearbox - they all have them).

More specific details on this thread - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13150

Thank you kindly everyone

Regards

Keith