Out of the ashes........

bishbosh

Hewarya fella!

Nice - when I get back I gotta get the one I gave my cousin for christmas up and running. It's an '85 which I'm guessing that one is in or around.

Everyone seems to know what you're gonna do with it? Is it gonna be a trayback? If so I could really do with whatever you cut off the back, including the glass :D Our one got in a row with a truck to the rear quarter...

I don't think Bish will be doing anything that may get even close to needing a DVLA/VOSA inspection!!!

I'm very jealous, Bish!! If I knew 90s came with straight panels, I'd have waited for one to come along!!! :-)

Last time I give up three hours of my time on a wet Saturday, lie in a running stream of water and crawl under a vehicle for you! Fair do's my assistant and I did get a MaccyD but I'm not that easily bought.

My dear hairy Hobbit, in the heat of the moment I got so excited about my new toy that I completely forgot to thank you for your efforts at the weekend. I blame my memory that struggles to recal today's events let alone Saturday's!!

I apologise from the heart of my bottom :P and really am grateful for your help.

Besides, I thought a Maccy D's and an excuse to put on your gimp suit was thanks enough!! :ph34r:

My dear hairy Hobbit, in the heat of the moment I got so excited about my new toy that I completely forgot to thank you for your efforts at the weekend. I blame my memory that struggles to recal today's events let alone Saturday's!!

I apologise from the heart of my bottom :P and really am grateful for your help.

Besides, I thought a Maccy D's and an excuse to put on your gimp suit was thanks enough!! :ph34r:

I did notice that you were somewhat short tempered today :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, time has moved on and err, not a lot has happened!

I have stripped the engine and boxes out and removed the roof, sides and rear tub so I could give the chassis a good going over (yet to be done :( )and replace the less than perfect rear cross member.

Having followed Les' numerous threads on replacing / strengthening / correcting / building from scratch I decided on a different route and plumped for some good old box section, tapered and capped the ends, drilled and tubed for towing / recovery points and drilled and tapped the bottom face for the tow bar. Then it was glued it onto the chassis. Well, once a load of repairs had been done to the ends of the chassis rails!

Major thanks are due to Bowie69 for giving up another Saturday to help me with the work including offering it up about 20 times before we (well he! :lol: ) was satisfied it was in the right place. I had measured the chassis before I cut the old cross member off and marked some datum's to measure from. This included the width of the chassis rails which was fortunate because in my case they spread by 6mm when the cross member was cut out. The box section was then offered up and the ends of the chassis adjusted so the required dimensions were met. It was then tacked on and the tub put on. The tabs were salvaged from the old cross member and bolted to the tub. They were then welded to the cross member. The tub was then removed to allow the cross member welding to be completed.

I don't have a picture with the tub on but you'll have to trust me that the cross member fits beautifully.

As I am a relative novice when it comes to welding I took my time over it and made sure the main box to chassis welds were really good. I was really pleased with the result but most of it is hidden now by the gussets! :o To be absoultely sure I had enough weld throat I did three passes on each vertical weld and more than one pass on some of the others to be sure! This also will compensate from the less than perfect fit up of the end of the chassis to the box.

Some pics for your delectation:

post-121-1213120099_thumb.jpg post-121-1213120127_thumb.jpg post-121-1213120194_thumb.jpg post-121-1213120154_thumb.jpgpost-121-1213120167_thumb.jpg post-121-1213120225_thumb.jpg

Nice piece of work, certainly looks strong enough.

Is it or is it going to be a completely sealed section?

Rod

It is welded shut, but the three holes for the tow bar in the bottom face will serve as drains if necessary. The box is 5mm thick so I am not overly concerned about it rotting out before other bits of the truck fall off!

It is welded shut, but the three holes for the tow bar in the bottom face will serve as drains if necessary. The box is 5mm thick so I am not overly concerned about it rotting out before other bits of the truck fall off!

5mm , I thought the SVA guidelines were 3.2mm as to activate the crumple zones .. :o

Sorry mate only joshin wiv you . :lol:

Good work fella.

Just one question. Now that you have modified your chassis from standard are you going to put her through an SVA test?

thats what i was going to ask

got my coat, heading for the dooR!

No cut-out for the rear winch, then??

Top work as always, matey! Very simple, very effective and a damn site more structural than any of the off the shelf replacement items!! I trust that the cereal packet prototype is hanging in the garage for a further production run......... ;)

I don't think Bish will be doing anything that may get even close to needing a DVLA/VOSA inspection!!!

I'm very jealous, Bish!! If I knew 90s came with straight panels, I'd have waited for one to come along!!! :-)

"Down the line - RR rear axle, possibly the front one too, 200TDi and autobox, cage, winches etc etc.."

Not trying to be boring but wouldn't this exceed the points anyway?

Good luck with the new project, the rear crossmenber work looks good.