Timing belt

Hi all,

Just trying to gain some info on ordering a Cam belt renewall kit. Which kit will I need as my defender is Australian import the vin is SALLDHMF7TA989340. Cause its along way to send the wrong part.

I can get the kits from here, I had one price without the two seals and it was 380.00 dollars which is around 180 pounds, can you belive that! He did say that it was the good kit and not the cheap one with spot welds that come unstuck!!

Thanks Ted

What engine have you got Ted?

Bearmach stuff is the best in my opinion - even better than genuine.

The 300TDi timing belt kit is about £70, and then the seals are about £7 more.

They don't do a 200TDi belt kit - due to the differences between the defender and Disco, but in general the 200TDi kit is about £20 cheaper.

It might be worth ordering the parts from over here - postage shouldn't be that much - the whole lot weighs about 1/2 kilo and Bearmach send stuff abroad.

Les.

generally youll only need to change the front cover oil seal .

i see 2 are listed but a total difference in price .

ERR4576 is the normal 300tdi front cover oil seal , these are cheap .

ERR7143 is the later modified cover oil seal , these are cheapest from lrdirect.com @ £6.91each including vat tax .

you can pick and mix the idlers and tensioners etc , i have done this on my 300tdi .

what you need is a new lipped crank gear , one which is solid machined and not with spot welded washers on it .

you can use the old style lipped tensioner if you wish to .

ERR1092 is cam belt part number , fits all

ERR1972 is early lipped tensioner to VA vin

LHP100860 later non lipped tensioner from VA vin

LHH100660 lipped crank pulley , fits all .

ETC 8560 early idler to VA vin .

LHV100150 late idler from VA vin

i have an MA vin number and still have the standard front timing covers .

i have modified mine with these parts , which are a mix of earlier and later parts .

i did have belt walking issues when i first bought the landrover but have now sorted that out by fitting these parts .

ETC8560 early lipped idler

LHH100660 lipped crank pulley.

ERR1972 early tensioner

ERR1092 timing belt

ERR4576 front cover oil seal .

ERR7293 front cover gasket

in the timing kits you buy they use non lipped idlers and a lipped crank pulley , i am using a lipped idler and lipped crank pulley to decrease any run out of the belt .

it is the injector pump pulley alignment that makes the belt walk off forwards from it .

if you really want to solve the belt problem you also need to get the injector pump pulley running true with the crank and block which means clocking it with a dti .

i had to push the rear of injector pump back towards the block on its mounts in order to get the pump pulley running true .

TRY THIS WEBSITE FOR CHEAPEST PARTS www.lrdirect.com .

below are part numbers for the modification kits as per landrover .

STC4095 is the full modification kit including timing covers

STC4096 is the later timing kit without timing covers

if you buy the 300E timing belt kit from paddockspares you then need to also buy LHH100660 crank pulley and ERR4576 oil seal to go with it , this will then be the same setup as i am using [see my list above that i use]

the timing kit from paddocks is cheaper than most others at £39 + vat , plus crank pulley lhh100660 is £18.25+vat, but they dont seem to have ERR4576 oil seal listed, although they most likely sell them .

also see www.bearmach.com for parts list and drawings and part numbers etc , although the catalogue relates mostly to the early 300tdi .

lrdirect.com have everything you need .

if you get stuck mail me directly g5wq at aol.com

ian

Hi all,

Just trying to gain some info on ordering a Cam belt renewall kit. Which kit will I need as my defender is Australian import the vin is SALLDHMF7TA989340. Cause its along way to send the wrong part.

I can get the kits from here, I had one price without the two seals and it was 380.00 dollars which is around 180 pounds, can you belive that! He did say that it was the good kit and not the cheap one with spot welds that come unstuck!!

Thanks Ted

What engine have you got Ted?

Bearmach stuff is the best in my opinion - even better than genuine.

The 300TDi timing belt kit is about £70, and then the seals are about £7 more.

They don't do a 200TDi belt kit - due to the differences between the defender and Disco, but in general the 200TDi kit is about £20 cheaper.

It might be worth ordering the parts from over here - postage shouldn't be that much - the whole lot weighs about 1/2 kilo and Bearmach send stuff abroad.

Les.

Sorry, 300Tdi 1996.