Trailer Indicator Warning light.

Recently I have noticed when towing with my 97 Defender 90, that the trailer indicator warning light flashes once suggesting that the trailer indicators are not working. However checking the trailer showed that the indicators were working.

As I feel that this may be due to a faulty flasher unit I have tried to find it, whilst the circuit diagrams refer to the unit they do not tell you where it is located. Rather than have to remove the dash etc. to trace the cables back can anyone tell me where to find it?

Best regards.

Gerald

remove the under dash fuse box cover, peel back the mats [if fitted] remove the 2 screws [1 each side] & tilt the fusebox top towards you, the flasher unit should be a blue translucent plastic relay unit at the upper right of the panel with a multiplug attached.

mine does the same with the dash light flash once & trailer indicators work fine. clean/open up the connection pins on the trailer plug/socket too.

i think it is supposed to do that, it's something to do with the warning system for the light circuit. my disco does the same, when a trailer is connected the trailer light on the dash flashes as well, even disconnected it gives one flash.

it's meant to put the trailer flasher on once with NO trailer attached & flash in unison when the trailer is attached.

My dash trailer light doesn't flash at all when the trailer is NOT on and indicating but works fine (on dash and trailer) with the trailer attached.

If I put the hazard lights on without a trailer the trailer dash light does work.

Too scared to even start trying to work this one out and just glad it works with the trailer.

Recently I have noticed when towing with my 97 Defender 90, that the trailer indicator warning light flashes once suggesting that the trailer indicators are not working. However checking the trailer showed that the indicators were working.

As I feel that this may be due to a faulty flasher unit I have tried to find it, whilst the circuit diagrams refer to the unit they do not tell you where it is located. Rather than have to remove the dash etc. to trace the cables back can anyone tell me where to find it?

Best regards.

Gerald

It means that somewhere you got too high a resistance. Could be a furry corroded trailer socket, old cables.

I had this problem but only when turning left. Was ok turning right though.

Luckily for me it started when i replaced the indicator light bulb on the front wing. Swapped bulb for another one and it all worked again.