Drag link thread/hydro assist help/questions

white90

Can anyone confirm for definite the thread size and whether it is Left or Right hand threaded.

the steering damper/drop arm connection is the bit in question

If you mean the big ugly swan neck thing that joins the steering box to the drag link then it is:

11/16" 16tpi LHthread

Hope that helps

David

Further searching has led me to thinking like Steve90 I need to get a 3/4 UNF rose joint for the drag link and may be a Disco drop arm, I'll need to get a 3/4 tap in UNF and the correct drill for the tap itself, I'll swap the drag link end to end so I can use a R/H threaded rose joint as a L/H thread ball joint is readily available. I'm hoping on some guidance from Steve as I plan to copy his ideal set up as much as possible.

Anyone know the drill size?and where to buy the tap etc?

I have found the rose joint supplier, just need to sort the other bits.

Here is very good for taps (local to me)...............but you will need to ring them for price etc (I cant find my price list right now)

www.uni-thread.com/main.html

Also here, but a little more expensive ........... but again a very good service...........3/4UNF x16 = £10.50

http://www.tapdie.com/html/unf__taps.html

Tapping drill is here......................... (11/16)

http://www.metal-mart.com/Guides/Tap_Drill_Sizes.htm

:)

Ian

Tony youve already mentioned you have a rose joint supplier , I have found these second to none

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/95.php

Re: Taps /Drills I have always gone to GR fartners in Avonmouth , What they havent got they will within 24hrs

Ive also got a hydro steering set up in the garage ready to go (well almost )But I have been putting off fitting it for various reasons . :(

Tony youve already mentioned you have a rose joint supplier , I have found these second to none

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/95.php

Re: Taps /Drills I have always gone to GR fartners in Avonmouth , What they havent got they will within 24hrs

Ive also got a hydro steering set up in the garage ready to go (well almost )But I have been putting off fitting it for various reasons . :(

Hopefully nothing long term Jase,

Ian ok if I call you next week to pick your brain?

I found a set of taps on ebay all 3 for a reasonable amount.

A left hand set is also readily available on e bay

Cheers James

I need a Discovery 1 drop arm as well.

Does anyone know if the Disco Drag link is longer than a Defender one?

QT list the same one for both vehicles up to a chassis number then a different one from JA018175 >

edit:

After much reading of the set ups on here I was wondering if connecting the Ram to the swan neck(damper connection) would be suitable?

it would save on:

Disco 1 drop arm

Disco Drag link

Rose joints

taps/drills etc

I'm ok with getting what is needed but not if they aren't so to speak

Cheers James

I need a Discovery 1 drop arm as well.

Does anyone know if the Disco Drag link is longer than a Defender one?

QT list the same one for both vehicles up to a chassis number then a different one from JA018175 >

edit:

After much reading of the set ups on here I was wondering if connecting the Ram to the swan neck(damper connection) would be suitable?

it would save on:

Disco 1 drop arm

Disco Drag link

Rose joints

taps/drills etc

I'm ok with getting what is needed but not if they aren't so to speak

I wouldn't use the swan neck type as ive seen them break at the swan neck on normal PAS never mind the extra force of the hydro assist. (one at last years TFC and Adrian has broken two this year) Also mounting it onto the drag link effects the steering feel quite a lot and I really didn't like it on the road. Mounting it to the top of the drop arm it drives perfectly at normal road speeds (well as good a a challenge truck on boggers can be expected too)

The disco drag link is longer.

The disco/RRC drop arms are easy to get hold of, There's plenty of them in breakers. I was in a hurry doing mine so bought a new one and it wasn't much money.

At Seven Sisters on Saturday I was thinking to myself just how pleased I am with the setup the way it is now, Its perfect (in my humble opinion) If I ran the ram on the track rod I wouldn't be able to run the track rod guard which on the rock sections and tree stumps is worth its weight in gold.

I know its a bit of a pain getting taps etc Tony but a assure you its rock sollid and a brilliant job after, More than worth the extra bit of effort.

HSS tap ordered and the 11/16 drill to suit from Here

Rocol Cutting compound ordered Here

Rose joint from Here

Drag link from Here

Bolt/Nuts from Here

Drop Arm sourced (Thanks Paul)

Hydro assist collected by Bob thanks again

Just got to wait for it all to arrive and source a bigger Power steering reservoir and maybe a ZF pump if it doesn't work well once fitted.

Will a ZF pump fit a 300TDi?

Tony, sounds like an interesting project. Rose joints does seem like a sensible way to go - these may help as they're not a vulnerable as standard boots.

As others have said - ditch the swan neck.

Be careful with cheap taps for high accuracy items - you want to make sure the quality and size of the thread is spot on for steering components.

Will I ditched the Ebay Tap idea as they weren't HSS

So I went to Ians supplier.

The Rose joint is a Teflon coated variant, but those boots lok like a good idea.

Just need to check with Steve re bolt length etc and 3/5 UNF lock nut/nyloc

Will I ditched the Ebay Tap idea as they weren't HSS

So I went to Ians supplier.

The Rose joint is a Teflon coated variant, but those boots lok like a good idea.

Just need to check with Steve re bolt length etc and 3/5 UNF lock nut/nyloc

I fully intend fitting a boot to mine, Just have not got around to it yet. Everyone told me the rose joint wouldn't last 5 mins but it has done 3 4x4 adventures round, An AWDC round and countless hours rasping around the woods here and still has no trace of play in it. It was only a cheap joint I used so even if I have to fit 2-3 (at pressent rate I wont even need that) a year I'm worried.

Cant remember the bolt length but I have a spare sat on the dash of my discovery so as soon as my apprentise has 5 minutes I'll send him to get it and check (its raining outside you see :D )

Well the ZF74 is not a straight fit onto a 300TDI

but has to be fitted on the Aircon slot on the timing cover.

additional costs if it is to be added:

ZF74

mounting bracket

Pulley

belt

that still needs a pulley/idler to replace the existing power steering pump as that turns counter clockwise and the ZF clockwise

So in light of the above

anyone have any suggestions for making an Idler for the existing pump pulley?

So I can fir the ZF where the aircon would go.

Can't the ZF74 be made to go where the current pump is? I'm going to have to do something like that as the AC slot is filled with the world's largest alternator (seriously is huge).

Steve, if you've got play in rose joints they've really had it - in fact if you can move the centre by hand they're past it!

Cant remember the bolt length but I have a spare sat on the dash of my discovery so as soon as my apprentise has 5 minutes I'll send him to get it and check (its raining outside you see :D )

If they are the same bolts I got you Steve I still have a coulpe left kicking about .

Tony , Have you spoke to Lardy , He has a brand new ZF74 pump going spare I believe .

Yep, The bolts are the same ones you got me Jase. Sorry Tony only just got home from work and was about to Measure the size for you.

The spacers either side of the rose joint and between the ram and arm are all just some off cuts of mild steel bar I turned in the lathe. They are .750" ID x .875" OD x .125" thick. I see you can get misalignment spacers from most rose joint suppliers which are "off the shelf" and will do the same thing. It was all just knocked up out of whatever I had kicking around at the time with the intention of making some tidy stainless versions when I was sure it was all working OK.