Fitting a 300tdi turbo to a 200??

Steve 90

Just in the process of getting rid of my snorkel and fitting an air intake that goes through the cab and sits nice and high up the rear cage. Problem is I run a disco 200 in my 90 which would need a really nasty looking bend where the intake goes into the turbo. Defender 200 turbo/manifold setups are rarer than rocking horse **** but 300's seems readily available and the intake points conveinently straight at the bulk head in the perfect place. I think otherwise a slight modification of front pipe to clear the engine mount and it will be on.

My question (now I have all that drivel out the way) is what are the differences in size and output etc between the 300 and 200 units and is there likely to be any difference in power delivery (good or bad) when fitting the 300 unit to the older engine? Has anybody done this? and did it work ok?

Guest WALFY

Mo had this style of setup on his 300 TDI. As in 200 manifolds etc. I've now got his manifolds for a project of mine so they do cross fit from 300 to 200. As for how it all interacts with other componants I'm not sure.

Cheers Walfy, That re assures me that it will fit atleast.

Anyone else with any experience! Would like to get turbo etc on its way ASAP (Tomorrow :o ) but am still a little unsure!

Are all the 300 turbo's cast into the manifold (rather tan a separate bolted together item like the 200) or just the disco ones.

Cheers Walfy, That re assures me that it will fit atleast.

Anyone else with any experience! Would like to get turbo etc on its way ASAP (Tomorrow :o ) but am still a little unsure!

Are all the 300 turbo's cast into the manifold (rather tan a separate bolted together item like the 200) or just the disco ones.

Steve the 300 is integral to the manifold.

what is the oil drain like on a 200? the 300 is a short Aeroquip hose to a boss on the engine block

turbo3.jpg

Steve,

I suspect that you've sent me a pm which hasn't shown on the forum although I got the email notification.

I had a water cooled turbo on Defender 200 Tdi manifolds on a 300 Tdi.

I see no reason why a 300 turbo should not work on a 200. It SHOULD fit physically and providing the oil can go in and out it'll be lubricated.

Having said that I have not put a 300 turbo on a 200 but if I were in the same corner as you I'd go for it.

Mo

Guest WALFY

Hopefully they will still work. The kit has been sat in my garage for a few months now. Just got to get round to fitting it

Steve the 300 is integral to the manifold.

what is the oil drain like on a 200? the 300 is a short Aeroquip hose to a boss on the engine block

turbo3.jpg

Thanks for the pic Tony.

The 200 has a stub on the block for the return which looks at a guess about 7/8" diameter thread. not sure what the 300 is like but I'm sure its possible to machine up an adapter of some sort. If it comes to it I'll braze a boss into the sump and make a piece of pipe.

Bits are paid for and on their way now, Still short of oil feed pipes. Once I get the turbo I can measure the inlet and order a silicone hose reducer sleeve and some 3" stainless (or maybe aluminium) tube. Then I should be in business. Got some stuff to move off the bulkhead (ARB comp etc) where its going to pass through first though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the 300 turbo and manifold fit! And im real pleased as it all lines up perfectly to make the "through cab" air intake work out without a right mess of bends etc which is basically what I was facing with the 200.

post-1274-1213903644_thumb.jpg

It seems a much better solution (well with the air intake in mind) than the normal ones for the disco 200 to defender conversion. I had to make a front pipe to miss the engine mount (I know the mount is U/S will be replaced tomorrow).

post-1274-1213903726_thumb.jpg

But the front pipe is a much preferable shape, more free flowing than any of the 200 disco mods. All the other bits seem to fit nicely and access to the starter and clutch slave is much much better so it seems to be all gains at the moment.

The 300 dip stick fits in the same place but is just a push fit with "O" ring on the 300 and an olive/gland nut setup on the 200 so a small adaptor had to be turned up to fit it.

I think the std 300 intercooler pipework should fit as although my engine is further back the rad has also been moved. If not It wont take long to make some pipes up.

So, so far im real pleased with it all.

I did basically the same set up as Steve descibes and had no problems with it.

I did find the studs in the manifold were to short so I assume the 300 manifold is a bit thicker, but no real problem to change them.

The exhaust was a bit of a problem as it exits directly over the engine mount but a bit of messing with the exhaust as shown in Steves picture fixes that, although mine never looked as neat as his does!.

The vehicles drove well and I am told by its new owner that it still does so the oil feed must be OK.

Steve, real interested to see the outcome of what your doing, I to had planned to run the airintake on my 200tdi up underneath to the rear but what your doing seems a much better solution. Roughly where does the intake pipe enter into the cab? Looking at the pics appears to enter to the left of the fuse panel? Look fwd to seeing the results.

Adrian

have you had it running yet? i put a 300tdi manifold and turbo on my 200tdi for the same reason. When i tried mine up the road it made funny noises and pushed the oil out of the filler in the rocker cover :angry: i was later told by someone else it would be to do with the oil feeds being different on the 200 and 300 block.

hope it works out Steve, looking good, so i guess the engine change is on hold for a time.

I would route the sorkel across the passenger seat - should keep Pikey warm in the winter.

Steve, real interested to see the outcome of what your doing, I to had planned to run the airintake on my 200tdi up underneath to the rear but what your doing seems a much better solution. Roughly where does the intake pipe enter into the cab? Looking at the pics appears to enter to the left of the fuse panel? Look fwd to seeing the results.

Adrian

Yep, Comes through just left of the fuse box. I have cut a few inch's of the passenger footwell away which I am now going to box in to give it all plenty of room as im using 3" pipe but I think it would go through without any bulk head mods if you wanted to fiddle with it enough.

have you had it running yet? i put a 300tdi manifold and turbo on my 200tdi for the same reason. When i tried mine up the road it made funny noises and pushed the oil out of the filler in the rocker cover :angry: i was later told by someone else it would be to do with the oil feeds being different on the 200 and 300 block.

Had it running last night and all seems well.

Oil feed/return is no different. Oil feed and normal oil pressure in the top, Return by gravity to the sump at the bottom. The take off and return are in the same places on the block and the oil pressure of a 2 and 300 are all but identical. Sounds more likely from what you describe that you had the engine breather plumbed into the pressure side of the turbo rather than the fresh air side or the breather was blocked so the crankcases couldn't vent.

hope it works out Steve, looking good, so i guess the engine change is on hold for a time.

I would route the sorkel across the passenger seat - should keep Pikey warm in the winter.

Nope, Engine change still on the books but wont be till later in the year. This needed doing tho as the air intake was less than water tight and kept getting bashed where it was.

Adrian

Right by ere!

post-1274-1213994384_thumb.jpg

Thats 3 inch pipe so with 2 1/2 it would go easily without bulkhead mods but I wanted to make sure the motors getting plenty of air.

Pikeys gonna go mental when he sees that taking up his pie space . , To keep the weight down You could use carlsberg cans .

Carlsberg cans, mmmmm, I have plenty of those!#

Well, theres been a small amount of progress today but I got side tracked and ended up doing 101 other jobs on the truck rather than getting on with the task at hand :rolleyes: !

Unfortunatly the 300 TDi pipe work didn't fit. I thought it might as there wasn't that much difference but it wouldn't. So I used some bends and made up some intercooler pipes. Plumed in the waste gate actuator pipes, FIP pipes etc etc.

post-1274-1214162568_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1214162584_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1214162619_thumb.jpg

All thats left now is make a new clutch and brake pipe. Decide if im refitting the heater. Tidy up some wires and pipes and refit the wing.

Then I can get on with the pipework through the cab, Best drag that TIG out and learn to use it a bit quick!