Twin batteries

Orange

Morning all!

I am quite comfortable with the idea of twin batteries, but I haven't ever seen a set-up on a Disco 2. Has anyone done it? The D1 is relatively straight forward, but there seems to be a whole load more gumph under the bonnet of the TD5...

I'm looking to double up to enable me to run a fridge/electric cool box and lights when camping.

Any pointers much appreciated. Pics would also be great...

TIA

Adrian

I have dual batteries in my D2 for the mains inverter and all the extra lights etc, I made up a tray to fit on the nearside between the ABS pump and the bulkhead, width is limited by the turbo heat shield as well. Its a tight squeeze, I bought a cheap battery from the local motor factors that would just fit and made the tray to match.

If I still have the pictures I will post them up tommorow (assuming I can work out how to post them!)

Matt

The twin battery setup fitted by LR Special Vehicles on police car conversions to the D2 has the second battery in behind the trim in the rear loadspace, its a tight squeeze and a bugger to get out though!

There are several Disco 1's that I know about which are running 2 batteries. It's a lot easier as you just need to mirror the battery install on the other side of the engine bay. I will see if I can get some pictures thrown up...

As for the 'control module' - do you mean just a split charge system, or the complete battery monitoring shennanigans? If it's just the split charge stuff, X-Eng sell them. You may even get a forum discount from Simon if you speak to him nicely...

Other systems, like THIS ONE from OEC give you displays in the cab, but are much more expensive and the fitting is a lot more involved!

HTH

Adrian

I like the look of the replacement battery tray - looks really neat, and should be fairly easy to achieve...

I have a twin battery setup on my 200 TDI disco 1:

2ndbattery1.jpg

2ndbattery2.jpg

This is pretty easy to do on a 200, as there is nothing in this space bar the Jack and the Wheel chock. On a 300 however, this space is occupied by the air intake, into the airbox, the jack, and wheelchock, and the vacuum solenoid for the EGR valve if fitted, along with a few other bits and pieces...

hth

Mark

The two big fat cables you can see on top of the battery run to my front winch. It is also the power source for my front light bar as well, but it wasn't wired in when those pictures were taken.

It is very useful to be able to jumpstart the vehicle off the second battery as well, just using one jumplead to connect the positive posts together.

The Split charge is an x-eng item btw.

enjoy

Mark

Lovely thanks mark..

My only plans to use the second batery for lighting and phone chargers in the back...

ive seen a split charging system on maplins website for £9, but it will only do 20a

would this be sufficient, or get the 180a x-eng one?

thanks once again

Personally, I would be looking from something over 20A. My light bar has 4x55W lamps on, which means it draws 220W/12V = ~20A on it's own. This means the alternator will be attempting to charge the battery at this rate too, and so that is what the split charge relay is carrying.

In real terms, a split charge relay is just that, a relay. 70A relays are reasonably easy to come by, and would be a much safer option than a bog standard 20A relay.

If you are planning to run some cigarette lighter sockets off the battery, you need to have it rated for the maximum you can plug into it. Realistically, you may want to plug an inverter or an electric cool box (or possibly both) so a 70A relay does not seem as much overkill as it seems.

The 180A x-eng one is probably overkill for essentially accessory power, but the kit of cables and instructions makes it a good and easy solution - it also means if you do ever add a winch, you will be ready to rock...

hth

Mark

I have done it very simply on my 300Tdi.

No relays, gubbins etc. Just run a suitable cable from positive (1st bat) to positive (2nd bat) and from the earth terminal (2nd bat) to the chassis. The batteries are connected in parrallel and charge/discharge at the same time (There is a bias to battery 1 on charging, I've measured it).

This gives me more oomph (cold cranking amps) to get my veg oil moving on cold mornings and plenty of juice for ancillaries like lights and winch etc.

This set up is suited to my needs, but does not provide any protection from flattening both batteries if using accessories without the engine running, not really an expedition setup.

Stu.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Adrian,

I have an ARB mounting bracket for a RHD Discovery 2. It didn't fit in my LHD Discovery.

Will sell for 75 euro excl. shipping.

It is a straight bolt on with no drilling or modification of the engine bay.

Did you ever seel your ARB 2nd Battery tray?