Discovery II Oil Pump Failure

therealboss

I didn't know about this problem until last night and searching on google for "Discovery II Oil Pump Failure" brings up lots of results.

A week last Friday, oil light came on and then the turbo packed in, I ordered a new turbo alone with all the bits needed for a full service. All the parts arrived Thursday and I took them up to my guy in the workshop to fit, hoping that I would have the Disco back on the road Saturday. This was not to be, after fitting the turbo the oil was to be changed and when we drained it out we could see bits of metal in the old oil. So next we removed the sump and thats when we found that the bolt the holds the sprocket on to the oil pump had fallen out. This is the, as I now know as the well documented "bolt of doom for a TD5".

I bought this car direct from the main dealer secondhand in Aug 2007, its a 2001 Disco 2, TD5 with Auto box, at the time it only had 56,000 miles on it. It was fully serviced and given 12 months test cert, it was returned a few weeks later to have a new sensor fitted to the Auto box and a new selector fitted, it also came with 20,000 miles or 3 months guarantee.

As this is a known manufacturing defect that has affected thousands of TD5 vehicles throughout the world, I would have expected that a main dealer would have checked that the bolt was fixed in place with Loctite and as they did not they should cover this breakdown.

Anyone else had this problem and if so what was the outcome? I know that BBC Watchdog covered this problem for the UK but I'm in Ireland, do I have a leg to stand on?

It is not a problem that has ever been acknowledged by LR in any technical bulletin AFAIK and it isn't something that can easily be checked, so I don't think any main dealer would check it unless specifically asked to.

Here is an update to my problems..

Turned out that the big end shells were marked but bot to bad and on of the main bearing shells had a very small scratch on it, the crank was perfect.

The Repair

1. We replaced the shells on the big ends & the main bearings after flushing out all the journals and cleaning everything.
  2. We welded up the hole in the sump where the oil pump drive fixing bolt had made a small hole in it.
  3. Fitted a new turbo, both oil filters and filled her up with new oil.

Crossed all our fingers and turned the key. she started first time. :)

I thought that was it, everything sounded as it should and no oil leaks. We give her a few small revs and again all was well so we turned her off. After checking for oil leaks and making sure everything was fixed back as it should be and making sure there were no bits left over we started her up to take her for a test drive. After 50 meters I could hear a small hiss, so stopped her and got out to look under the hood...

Oil everywhere and all along the road, oil filter looked like a balloon and the rubber seal had pushed out on one side. Tow back to workshop (all 50 Mts), Now the quest was as follows:-

1. Was it a bad filter?
  2. Was it fitted badly?
  3. Was the oil pressure too high?

Cleaned her down again and fitted a new filter & 5Lts of oil, connected up a hand oil pressure gauge and started her again on tick over. Pressure was 55psi or so (looking good), reved her to about 1400rpm and pressure went of the dial (140psi).

So it looks like the oil pressure release valve is jammed, I was going to remove it when we were working on the engine but thought it should be ok, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here.......

So now she is back in the workshop to have the oil pump removed to check the valve, have any of you here got any advice here for me? Is there anything else I should watch out for?

You might be right (fingers crossed) but another possibility is that combustion pressure is going into the oil system somewhere which would explain your balloon oil filter but would almost certainly mean your engine is f***ed... :(

You might be right (fingers crossed) but another possibility is that combustion pressure is going into the oil system somewhere which would explain your balloon oil filter but would almost certainly mean your engine is f***ed... :(

When we started it, it ran a treat, no smoke nothing strange at all just the oil filter. If the combustion pressure is getting into the oil system would it not have ran rough, and given a higher oil pressure reading on tick over?

Well she is back on the road, running a sweet as a nut, only problem is I've lost all confidence in her and I now find I'm driving her with one eye on the dash (looking for the oil light to come on any min) and one ear listening to the engine to see if she make any strange noise. So far so good, oil pressure is back to what it should be and I have drove about 25 miles with her purring away as she should.

Lets hope this will be it now for the next 100,000 miles :)