Chassis and Axle Paint/Primer Query

muddy

I am at the point in my project where i have the rear axle stripped down and cleaned ready for painting.

I have a 5l tin of chassis black that i usually paint anything in site with, but whilst it is very good on slightly rusty steel its not wanting to stick to my nice clean metal.

I want a decent primer that i can paint both my axles and chassis in, it needs to resist corrosion and stick like the proverbial too.

I would just use red oxide but it seems that this is now just more of a primer than anti rust? and that zinc based paints are the future?

So can anyone recommend a decent anti rust primer for my application? Would prefer it to be brush able as this usually works out cheaper.

Thanks in advance, Will.

I use Tractor paint for most of my stuff - designed for bare metal, slight rust and very tough. All my new bits on my Discovery are in Massey Ferguson grey, bush painted.

For primer try a high Zinc content brushable like Zinc 182.

For tractor paint go to the local agg parts supplier. Most body/paint shops will stock Zinc 182.

So can anyone recommend a decent anti rust primer for my application? Would prefer it to be brush able as this usually works out cheaper.
I've used Davids 182 zinc rich primer under chassis black on axles and it seemed to cover ok - although it did need two coats. I sprayed it but I think it can be brushed. The best primer I've used (for ease of brushing) is made by Hammerite - but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

I've used Davids 182 zinc rich primer under chassis black on axles and it seemed to cover ok - although it did need two coats. I sprayed it but I think it can be brushed. The best primer I've used (for ease of brushing) is made by Hammerite - but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

No1 ??

Grem

Tractor paint, never thought of that.

I recently bought Boat Paint, basecoat and 2K paint for the axles. The stuff has copper in it and is made for alu. /steel hull boats that sit in water all year round. I'm figuring if it's good for sitting in salt water, it must be good enough for an axle the slashes in mud. <_<

Time will tell I guess.

Todd.

I recently bought Boat Paint, basecoat and 2K paint for the axles. The stuff has copper in it and is made for alu. /steel hull boats that sit in water all year round. I'm figuring if it's good for sitting in salt water, it must be good enough for an axle the slashes in mud..

The copper is there to prevent bottom fouling! I just used chassis black on my axles and so far I've had no problem with barnacles - or indeed any other marine life :P