Fairey Compatability

handi_andis

Hiya

Simple question really and I think the answer is no but just wanted to double check. Is is possible to fit the drop down PTO drive for the front Fairey winch as well as an overdrive behind it or are they mutually incompatible as I suspect? Are there any other options with such a winch or if there is an overdrive fitted is it a question of electric winches only?

Thanks

Andy

Unfortunately you can't run both. You could use a bottom PTO to drive the winch - they can be like hen's teeth to find though.

Other options would be front PTO (engine) driven winch or electric. Hydraulic would be possible with some trick engineering in the engine bay.

You could fit a crank driven capstan winch, but that's an acquired taste. Or you could make up a crank-driven hydraulic pump and convert the winch to hydraulic or use a hydro winch such as the MileMarker. With a dedicated pump they're not so slow ;)

On the overdrive side, you could fit a hi-ratio transfer case, or (cheaper) fit coiler diffs which will raise the gearing ~30%. You do lose a bit of the crawling control in low box, depends what you're doing as to whether that's an issue or not.

There are some Fairey OD's which have a dog on the rear gear to engage a PTO, but you can't tell without taking the rear cover plate off. I suspect you'll be limited to the Fairey PTO, or even a special one for the job. I've never heard of one being fitted though.

No Splines

2609428587_bcb0fabef5_o.jpg

Splines (Thanks to Marko Cosic - where are you now?)

2610260068_c2a4b1f066_o.jpg

I once fitted a shortened drop box winch PTO to a Fairey Overdrive. The standard non cut down PTO's are a bit long to adapt to the back of overdrives as there is a chassis crossmember just behind. I reckon a slim custom made drop box using a train of spur gears with one sliding in and out of mesh with the others could be easily fabbed to go on the back of an overdrive with the limited space available, but as mentioned on the post above later overdrives no longer have the splines on the rear gear.Once I got rid of the overdrive I adapted the PTO to the back of my crawlerbox, but I had to remake and relocate the chassis crossmember.

Bill.

Thanks for all your help. Winch I was bidding on before the problem dawned on me has now passed my maximum bid so am free to look at other options. Am considering a Warn 9.5 Ti and am thinking about mounting options. Obviously I could modify the existing bumper etc and build a solid winch platform that I am happy with, however, given the number of winch/bumper packages available I was wondering how different a 90/110 front bumper mounting is to that of a Series II 88", which is sat on a replacement chassis equivalent to a Series III.

Cheers

Andy