part id needed please

Hi

Got a V8-engined defender (8.25 compression, roughly of P6 era), and when exchanging exhausts the other night we realised the olives for between manifold and downpipe were the wrong ones. The ones I got are just rings, but Brian says I need the triangular-profiled ones instead. Asked around a few parts places today and got blank stares. Same at LR dealer.

Can anyone ID one of these please, preferably with a supplier ? The ones we took off are so far gone that a photo would be useless I'm afraid, but think of a ring that has a triangular-type cross section.

Hope that helps ! Thanks

Try LR number CRC4579L fitted to L/R - V8 - Petrol - Catalyst - 90"

or

NTC1030 fitted to L/R - V8 - Petrol - Non Catalyst From chassis number 267908

Thanks Western, should have mentioned the parts I'd already got. NTC1030 was one of them, but it wasn't one of the ones. Will try and check out the other on Monday. The other looks worryingly similar, perhaps it's of a smaller diameter in which case I might be in luck. (I think the others I got were ERC 2734).

Thanks for the help :)

A

erc2734 should be correct for fitting at manifold to downpipe joint on your engine.

Thanks, but it was way oversized. I think with the vintage of the engine (Rover-P6 era), it's a bit off. Who knows what vintage the manifolds in this case are ? That's the problem with buying hybrids I guess, you've no idea what bits came from where. Got a steering wheel boss by chassis number the other day, and it turned out the steering gear wasn't correct for same. Ah well....

Will need to have a bit of a look around I think. Maybe a wee plate of aluminium might do the job. Need something to seal it up a bit anyway :)

Thanks again.

I hesitate to post this, as the drawing is probably as near to useless as it's possible to get:

fileua1.th.gif

Looking for a ring with a profile as on the right I guess ?

Below is the pipe as seperated from the manifold - no wonder it was leaking, previous owner looks to have tried simply to crush the thing into place:

exhaustuw3.th.gif

Thanks for any help (and no laughing at my drawing, please :P)

If these things don't exist any more, what about a set of more "normal" replacement manifolds perhaps ? Not expensive, hopefully....

.. according to a guy in Kwik Fit, the gasket/olive I'm looking for is shaped a little like a flying saucer - does that sound familiar to anyone ?

(apart from E.T...)

(incidentally, engine number is 11L20945A if that's any help)

I hesitate to post this, as the drawing is probably as near to useless as it's possible to get:

fileua1.th.gif

Looking for a ring with a profile as on the right I guess ?

Below is the pipe as seperated from the manifold - no wonder it was leaking, previous owner looks to have tried simply to crush the thing into place:

exhaustuw3.th.gif

Thanks for any help (and no laughing at my drawing, please :P)

If these things don't exist any more, what about a set of more "normal" replacement manifolds perhaps ? Not expensive, hopefully....

Hi Lansalot,

I think the 'olive' you show in the photo is in fact part of the downpipe, it's welded on. I have been through a similar experience, trying to get a replacement part to weld on was next to impossible.

In the end I got lucky with a visit to Double S Exhausts, the bloke there was most helpful. They're in Cullompton, Devon; bit of a way from you!

Good luck,

Michael

Thanks, but as luck would have it I'm just back from an illuminating discussion at Donald & MacMillan - who are in my home town.

Turns out there is no olive - it's a matter of getting the right pipes, and in true Land Rover spirit, the manifolds I have are from a Range Rover.

So the pipes I needed were NRC4220 and NRC4219 which have what's described as a "bell" end (stop sniggering at the back) and are a metal-to-metal contact.

Here's hoping the rest of the pipe fits and they didn't just weld the head of it onto the existing pipe I have. Failing that, I'll be looking for a very friendly welder at short notice. Either that or I get gassed on Sunday :P

Thanks for the help folks.