O/T But think everyone should have a read

pugwash

This is utterly O/T in regards L/R and 4x4 BUT the link below details the personal expereinces of a normal chap sent down for 12 months after going out for a sunday afternoon hoon.

can we leave it here for a bit please mods- it's one of the most effective threads i have ever read on any forum, and one of the most sobering.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...=442266&i=0

Guest WALFY

Ralph

I thought the same but if you skip the drivel and read the posts by 10p. It basicaly works that he wrote a diary of his time in clink. Makes sobering reading. But as you say theres a lot of other drivel on there.

Nope, not interested in someones time inside, he shouldn't have got himself in a situation to get nicked in the first place, no sympathy from me.

dont knock what you can't be bothered to read- i wouldn't have posted it if there wasn't something of relevance for all of us on there!

the chap made a simple driving error that any of us could (ie entering a corner too fast- all too easy on mud terrains) which ended up with him almost killing someone and having to spend time in Jail.

This could easily be one of us on an off road day/ green lane/ pulling a trailer that starts snaking/ normal driving etc etc

An interesting and sobering read for sure (ignoring the drivel bits). However, you do ultimately have to consider that when you fling a car a bit fast into a corner, it always has the potential to go horribly wrong and you have to accept the potential consequences of that, including the outcome Mr 10p got.

To be fair to him, he seems to have accepted the consequences. It's a humble moment when you realise how much effect you can have with a small action. As was posted above, mud terrains and 'home modifications' possibly put some of us closer to this than we realise, before we consider an accidental moment. If Ralph's orange beacons dazzled another road user or he didn't see a motorcyclist because he's fitted extra gauges to obscure the swept area of the wipers, for example, he could go to jail. (I do admire your blind faith in the judiciary though Ralph - I wish I had that).

Homebrew 3-link setups could fail, and the point here is that if it did, it could put the driver in jail. I'm not saying anyone here has a car which is unsafe but how do you know the third link is strong enough to be safe? While I'm not a fan of the SVA process, I do welcome some regulation to stop banjo players strapping undersize axles under leaf springs with long bits of threaded bar bent over, for example.

not blind faith, just being aware of the surroundings/road conditions/vehicle & obviously other road users & speed. I'm not saying it can't go wrong, unfortunatly for 10p it did & he has to live with the cosequences as does the guy whose 110 & trailer went off the motorway onto the main rail line.

I wish I was perfect. :(

Chris

bet your misses wishes you were too....... only joking, you've always got Les to set your sites on.

Jim - interesting read - you must have too much spare time.

The sun doesn't shine out off anyones ar$e, and no-one is perfect. To portray that you are is utter nonsense. A fraction of a second is all it takes to cause a disaster, a small distraction or something unexpected occurs and things can and do go pear-shaped. I consider myself a good driver, but I once nearly ran into the back of a car and did a J-turn to avoid hitting him. As a result, the front bumper of the 90 I was driving at the time scraped down the side of a Vauxhall Nova that was coming the other way. The poor girl that was driving it was absolutely terrified and was screaming and crying becuase of my actions. The effects of what occurred didn't really affect me until later when I realised that I could have been nearer to the centre line and seriously injured or killed her. That's when I started to shake and shed a tear or two - it could have been a hell of a lot worse. No-one is perfect, and those that say they are are the worst liars in the world.

Les.

This is utterly O/T in regards L/R and 4x4 BUT the link below details the personal expereinces of a normal chap sent down for 12 months after going out for a sunday afternoon hoon.

Jim,, does not sound like a "Sunday afternoon hoon"

From the Cumberland & Westmoreland Herald.

Article said:

A car driver who left a motorcyclist severely injured after a crash while using the A686 at Hartside “like a race track” was sent to prison for 12 months.

The accident happened when Olley, who was driving one of a convoy of high powered Honda Civic cars, passed two vehicles at high speed and then tried to overtake another on a blind bend before losing control and hitting a motorbike coming the other way.

Mrs. Linda Vance, prosecuting, told the court that Olley, using the nickname “Ten Pence Short”, had used an Internet website for Honda Civic drivers to arrange a meet in a Penrith supermarket car park.

From there, she said, he led them up the A686 to Hartside a road he described on the website as “a good little route for cars like ours”. He suggested that “the best games” involved “finding a guy in a superior car and watching him trying to keep up”, she said.

Sorry, but no sympathy, IF he was ragging it,, as the prosecution says,

Pugwash

Thanks for the original post.

Walfy

Thanks for taking the time to point out there was something to be learnt amongst the dross. I had taken a quick look, and decided it was a load of cr*p. Your post lead to a 2 hour surfing marathon, and a re-evaluation of my riding / driving. Regardless of right or wrong, that alone made the post worth reading.

As luck would have it, we are on our way in to Lerwick, and stopped last night for a ship / ship transfer. A guy on another vessel needed to get home because his son has just been killed in a car crash. ( N.E Scotland ) .

I thought it was a good post to make, on here or any vehicle oriented forum.

I was impressed with the way that it brought home the reality, on a person to person level, as this is a difficult thing to convey, and I was fully aware of what was coming as my previous occupation, gave me that insight , and the reason I have always backed a Zero blood /alchohol level for driving. JMHO

Guest diesel_jim
Jim,, does not sound like a "Sunday afternoon hoon"

Sorry, but no sympathy, IF he was ragging it,, as the prosecution says,

Mind you.... the prosecution always make out the "worst" of everything. there was no mention in 10p's thread (not that i saw, although i skipped a few paged) of what he actually did whilst driving....

was he doing 120mph around a bend? or just 59.99 and lost it on some mud/oil/poo etc?

either way.... i don't fancy doing any time, even if i'm let out after a few months like he was then on curfew.

my (ex) bro-in-law got sentenced to 15 years back in november! (although he is a paedo, so deserves all he gets :angry: )

there was no mention in 10p's thread (not that i saw, although i skipped a few paged) of what he actually did whilst driving....

He does mention that although he wasn't speeding, he was travelling at what people would now say was an "inappropriate" speed for the situation.

Mind you.... the prosecution always make out the "worst" of everything.

Hence my capital "IF" Jamie ,,

Somewhere in the thread, he does admit it was maybe too quick for the given circumstances !!

police report says that his upper speed was below the national speed limit. 10penceshort maintains that he was travelling at around 50 didn't see the corner was so tight and backed sharply off which kicked the tail out (its a FF car), booted it hard to get the front round but basically put the car sideways. The biker was coming the other way and (in my opinion) was travelling too fast for the corner (he couldn't stop in the distance he can see) and came to a crunching halt.

Also he wasn't overtaking on the bend- the only person to say that was a possibly less than reliable witness.

He feels he was driving badly as as such has to pay a penalty- so he pled guilty at the earliest possibility- this however means that there was no chance of him telling his side of the story or getting to accurate facts.

Very sobering stuff, when I've had a car I've driven like a bit of a thwack being young stupid and all that but with driving my series land rovers (all 5 of them) for long enough even when i get back into a car 80mph is scary enough for me....

I think driving them and loosing wheels, prop shafts and being in worrying positions double de-clutching and all the other joys of a series has made me a much more considerate driver... Fun is kept to off-road....

I haven't read the article but found the thread very interesting.

Thanks for posting Pugwash.

Some think he was guilty by the news article (sorry but thats what they wanted).

Most are concerned as to how easily it all escalated to a prison term and how it could be them. Les I really found your comment honnest and helpful. I have been in a position where an oncoming car driver had to put his car sideways to avoid hitting me though not speeding as he had not seen me. My view was wow what good driving skills, others would think hooligan, most would be terrified as was your person. I fully understand your feelings afterwards.

Interestingly for me I have had a number of arguments with other drivers when I use the correct lane and they cut me up and stop to blame me. It is all about perception I guess. When is following the rules not safe?

One sobering thought. It seems that as 10p felt that he could have been slower as he may have mis-read the road, however the motorcyclist may not have thought about what he was doing. Only 10p put his hand up and lost the right to defend his actions.

Before anyone claims that I am anti bikes I own a Kwak 1000

It is worrying that the leaway for mistakes is becoming non existant. I don't condone bad driving and I am as guilty as most, new laws announced today make the penalties even more strict.

This is a very sobering thread, again thanks for starting it.

Marc.