fuel pipe problems 3.5 efi

mucdup3.5

Hi,

I have had fuel problems with my 3.5 efi relating to the connections and pipes around the fuel filter. When I broke down on the motorway the nice RAC man undid all the clips on the flexible hoses unfortunately this started a chain of problems. I replaced the flexible fuel return pipe into the tank , which was just a bent straight piece of flexible with the correct elbow.

However in doing so I seem to have disturbed the steel pipe which goes up over the chassis. This pipe is corroded and sprang a leak. I tried unsuccessfully to put a sleeve of flexible 10mm pipe over the steel pipe but I am having difficulty getting a seal so that the leak has moved forward of the rear chassis member. Is it possible to use something like ptfe tape on the steel pipe to take up the imperfections or will siilcon sealant do the job?

I want to avoid replacing the steel pipe if possible as I think it may be difficult to get proper replacement. I spoke with my local LR dealer and he said the pipe is no longer available through them. :unsure:

Over the chassis is where they usually go. And once they go there you will find much of the rest is also on its way out.

Don't try bodging it, it is unlikely to work - as you are finding - & a fuel leak is dangerous & an MoT fail.

I replaced both of mine when one started leaking but used copper brake piping (buy a roll of it, IIRC 1/4" but check the diameter of the old ones on your car as its several years since I did it)

If you take care in removing the old ones then you can use them as a guide to bending the replacement to the same shape.

Don't confuse the feed & return when fitting.

If the plastic clips on the chassis break then use long cable ties in a figure of 8 round the pipes & chassis to secure them on top of the chassis rail.

I just replaced the whole lot with flexible.

I am in the middle of doing this right now on my 3.9 EFI, but am having trouble finding the fittings that go into the fuel filter - no hydraulic suppliers round here know them (I've just done 40 miles to find that out) and Simmonites want SIXTY QUID for the replacement pipe that goes from the filter to the tank. :angry:

Apparently it comes as one piece. I didn't ask about the price of the other (longer) one...

Guest noggy

ive used copper brake pipe and ziptied to the chassis

and at the ends i use a short section of rubber fuel pipe to connect with jubilee clips

I've used copper central heating pipe which comes on a roll from B&Q then short rubber pipes at the ends to make the final connections. It is not as hard as brake pipe so can be bent back and forth as you work it into position over the chassis.

Steve

Thanks - that looks like a good site, I'll bookmark it... But it's the rubber bit with the crimped on fitting that I need - where it screws into the filter body the threads have corroded away.. :(

Guest noggy

i swear on my RRC 1988 there all push on connectors with jubilee clips to secure...

hmm... although, i was sold my rangerover being told it had had no work done on it, and when ive stripped it down, its got odd parts all over it, im pretty sure its like 4 rangerovers all bodged together..... the chassis is full off sand aswell...and the engine has been hydrolyzed .... never trust ebay... /hijack

Hi all,

thanks for the help on this problem.

The fuel filter on mine has stubby fuel lines coming in and out of it. There are also flexible hoses between it and the metal fuel lines. I found that a straight piece of hose had been used on the return connection between the fuel line and the tank this was kinked and restricting the fuel flow. The proper elbow is readily available so it seems ridiculous that the person who put a new fuel tank in the car before I bought it didn't renew this properly. Also by squinting through the gap between the floor and the tank it would seem that the fuel pump to fuel line is also a straight piece of flexible pipe and is similarly kinked although there doesn't seem to be a problem with the supply side. Maybe the pumping pressure is forcing it open?

Is there a tool which prepares the end of the pipes with the taper and bump over which the flexible hoses fit (sorry for the non technical description)?

Thanks also for the web address I will have a look. I rang Pirtek in MK and they said they can do the lines for me if I bring the originals in as a pattern. He said their lines will out last my RR many times over even without a coating and they can coat them if I want. Haven't got a price yet

<..>

Is there a tool which prepares the end of the pipes with the taper and bump over which the flexible hoses fit (sorry for the non technical description)?

<..>

I was looking for one of these too, but the only ones I could find appear to do a brake-pipe style flare.

Over the years I have often fixed flexible fuel pipe to unflared rigid pipe simply by using fuel-pipe clamps (not 'Jubilee' style clips - IMHO these are not strong enough for EFI systems) and never had any trouble. If I don't have any fuel pipe hose clamps then as a temporary measure I have been known to use doubled-up Jubilee clips.

FridgeFreezer - thanks for the suggestion (so obvious - why didn't I think of that?) - I'll have a look in Halfords this morning.