winch web

pritch1

Any one got any views on this. ever tried it? any good? any negative points? now going to plasma so was thinking rope but ive just come across it and wanted some oppinions.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samson-Winch-Web_W0Q...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks matt

Got it fitted to my mastergear 9000, so far no problems, but not really given it a lot of stick yet, wait till after paul whitmans event next weekend, I'll tell you then, only problem so far is using a snatch block, doesn't really like them, but as you see its a lot cheaper than plasmas.

yea i had a feeling that a snatch block may be a porblem does it tend to get trapped or is it ok once its got some tension in it?

thanks

No probs on the Black Rat snatch at all. GOes back and forth like a wh*res wrist on payday - and the Black Rat snatch is only 25 quid plus the Vodka and Tonic

Have a look here for a write up

Like all winch rope, best to keep it away from flint, as think this is what caused mine to snap, at Slindon last April. As had the opportunity to re-visit the site again later in the year.

I mention this, as the write up gives the impression it was the strop that caused the webbing to snap. (The strop just caused a bit of mild fraying along the edge of the tape). BTW there is no heat protection on the bottom layer, so if you model of winch (T-max) gets hot on the drum when winching, worth keeping an eye on this.

Other problem I experienced was extreme bunching, as the tape wraps over itself over and over, unlike rope which tends to work on the drum like wire cable, and falls over itself as it wound in.

Be interesting to see it in action with someone else at Rusper next Sunday.

Peter

(Digbee)

sorry to say that I think:

the cone drum braked winches are the ones that suffer heat build up on the drum.

the cone expanding into the inside of the drum to slow/stop the drum rotating

this is the cause of the heat build up in the drum itself.

extnl braked winches/non braked are the ones that are ok

winch tape may look ok but check the breaking strain of it before you purchase.

Edited to add my understanding of the cone brake arrangment.

Edited by white90

Yea i though it used the same idea as the superwinch ep serise with the brake at the end of the gearbox, helping to reduce heat build up in the drum, again correct me if im wrong ;)

thanks again u have all been a great help

I have it fitted to my rear huskey but not used in anger. Only used it once and that was to hold my new :D tyres in the back of the truck. Bit of a big load, 5 x 235 85 16 on disco rims and 5 x 255 85 16 to be fitted. Stacked them all up and winch web over the top and it all went well. Apart from that no intentions of using it for the next 5 wks. Workload has gone manic. As soon as I do use it I'll pst up the results.

Yea i though it used the same idea as the superwinch ep serise with the brake at the end of the gearbox, helping to reduce heat build up in the drum, again correct me if im wrong ;)

thanks again u have all been a great help

The EP9 is a Come Up. It differs in that it has a very nice copy of the Albright (not the crappy Warn copy of the Albright), the seals are slightly different and it has a better colour scheme. It is also slightly more expensive.