reversing rims

JST

std modulars have a 5" height gap from the outer rim edge to the centre and a 6" height gap from the inside rim edge to the centre.

so could you just fit them the wrong way around to gain an extra 2 inchs of track and therefore better lock?

i know the holes aren't recessed for the bolts on the inside of the centre, would this cause a problem? i presume so?

std modulars have a 5" height gap from the outer rim edge to the centre and a 6" height gap from the inside rim edge to the centre.

so could you just fit them the wrong way around to gain an extra 2 inchs of track and therefore better lock?

i know the holes aren't recessed for the bolts on the inside of the centre, would this cause a problem? i presume so?

Modulars have a standard or either 4 1/2 or 4 1/4 backspacing James.

I have both variants here

the new wheels I have have 3 1/2 backspacing to give the same offset as if using spacers

this gives the required steering lock.

cheaper if you feel up to it is to reverse the modulars to give the required backspace

thanks for the useful replies boys (plus not so useful ones - MO!!!)

so do peeps reckon the nuts would come undo?

Bish - as you know the truck does less mileage than Puggys vapour dismantling business, was thinking of just for events as i see there is one coming up in 2010 that takes my fancy. doubt the truck will out before then!

Guest WALFY
thanks for the useful replies boys (plus not so useful ones - MO!!!)

so do peeps reckon the nuts would come undo?

Bish - as you know the truck does less mileage than Puggys vapour dismantling business, was thinking of just for events as i see there is one coming up in 2010 that takes my fancy. doubt the truck will out before then!

James

Why not try it out the couple of days that I'm down. Torque the nuts up at breakfast then check them again at the end of the day. It won't be a huge amount of miles but will give a combat indicator of wether it's worth while pursuing

Guest WALFY
The dish of the Modular will hit the Caliper I think.

Sounds about as bodgetastic as could be,

Unlike you James for sure.

Times must be tight! I think it will end in tears but if you don't try you won't find out. Plus if he does it when others are around we can help put his wheels back on. Or at least take some pics ;) .

You can do it, it will just clear the calipers.

The problem is the wheelnuts and the fact they wont centre in the holes, you can either countersink them or just dog the nuts up really tight to sort of create your own coutersink.

IMHO this would be fine for off road use but I wouldnt chance it on road.

The best way to do it IMHO is to just grind the welds out, flip the centre over and weld it back in, i did this to my 8 spokes and its a huge improvement.

Will.

Guest WALFY
Or the wheel could come off and kill someone it hits

after having a wheel fall off it isn't something I'd risk

Tony

I wasn't to clear with what I said. I meant that get on site and then flip the wheels, drive all day check the torque and then reflip the wheels. I knew what I wanted to say just didn't come out clearly. It would be to far for James to drive from home. Unless he has a trailer to use for that day. Save trying to change the wheels in a field

Times must be tight! I think it will end in tears but if you don't try you won't find out. Plus if he does it when others are around we can help put his wheels back on. Or at least take some pics ;) .

i am with walfy on this one it might be an idea to have 4 spares between you tho just incase it does ripe the valves out or mess up the rims

regards mark

Use standard rims instead of modulars, if u crank en tight and re-check regularly they will bevel the rims themselves.. they are also cheaper to damage and will provide more offset.. they won't foul unless they're on a salisbury axle, what car and age...?

well me thinks its all looking a little dodgy on that front, was just an idea and cant be bothered to remove and refit the centres the other way around will just take more shunts!

Guest WALFY
well me thinks its all looking a little dodgy on that front, was just an idea and cant be bothered to remove and refit the centres the other way around will just take more shunts!

It's all academic anyway. As you've done your allocated milage this year :P:P