Very Very werid Suzuki 4x4 tranmission problem

Posting this on behalf of a mate, who doesn't have T'int ternet, and also as it has so far foxed all asked as to what's going on :blink:

He has a very modified SJ413, the prob at the mo has recently appeared .................and we are all stumped

In Low Box 4WD any gear, acceleate and all is well, BUT allow engine braking - and there is none

In High Box 4WD "exactly the same"

In 2wd high or low all OK :unsure:

He has a Crawler Transfer box should that make any difference - (to my mind different ratios),

we have checked ARBs all gears etc, shafts, linkages etc etc and 2/4wd

and all seems fine......... except down hill engne braking in 4WD H or L ??

We THINK it must be the transfer / crawler box - but have absolutely no idea WHAT is wrong with it

Any ideas ?

Nige

Guest diesel_jim

Sounds like auto-release hubs or something similar and they're releasing on the way down.

maybe some kind of viscous transfer box with a wierd thing in?

Sounds like auto-release hubs or something similar and they're releasing on the way down.

maybe some kind of viscous transfer box with a wierd thing in?

A Zook has permanent 4x4 with no centre diff though, so you should still get engine braking from the rear wheels?

Tell him to go down hills in reverse :lol:

They are tough machines :( he gives it some real abuse (2x ARBs twister shaclkes and many other neat mods) and little breaks, so its deserved this time I told him :lol:

He's going to take my suggestion and drop the oils one by one see if where he strikes gold bits of metal teeth lumps bumps and and shiney oil :(

Not the FW Hubs either nice idea :)

have also shoved on diffloack, ta for the suggestion

Oh, he's now walking over here shaking his head............................. :ph34r::(:lol:

nige

Er no :lol:

He has dropped the oils, all was well until the transfer box, very shiney and glittery, he said that was bad then some teeth fell out too, (Zukis not his :lol:)...

So, we now Know he's killed his crawler box, but absolutely no idea what exactly he has done ?

I did mention he should have a nice reliable LRV8, his sense of humour must have completely gone as he didn't even cough <remember your misfire> which waas a std reply for just about everything :( from him for quite a while

nige

OK, I have a theory!

The crawler (or Rock-Lobster) conversion is achieved by swapping round and re-making by welding together some of thge gears and often replacing one of the lay shafts.

I reckon that it will be the modified gearset is not sitting squarely - possibly through worn bushes/bearings. There is sufficient play to engage and disengage the drive. The gear moves around in response to different loadings - giving drive in some circumstances and not in others.

Si

Hmmm

Si was very close :)

Once the Box was pulled aprt the dmage was obvious - the crawler box has been made from cutting and shutting gears / shafts machining a gear to fit on a machined off shaft and then TIG welded together, the TIG weld has exploded and the gear was then able to move freely :(

post-22-1217504329_thumb.jpg post-22-1217504349_thumb.jpg

The TIG weld itself looks nice, but VERY small, and the penetration questionable, for a unit construction like this The weld prep was also virtaully non existant, so I think the welder was just asked to "Tig it up" and thats what he did, as a result the srength was more the TIG weld iteslf and not a deep fusion weld between the two.

As the rest of the box / gears are ok, its into a lathe with it to cklean off all the old weld, shove ina V grove for the new weld, and then either TIG MIG it myself, or find a grown up with a 3 phase set :)

Thought some may like to know ...

Nige

Once the Box was pulled aprt the dmage was obvious - the crawler box has been made from cutting and shutting gears / shafts machining a gear to fit on a machined off shaft and then TIG welded together, the TIG weld has exploded and the gear was then able to move freely :(

The TIG weld itself looks nice, but VERY small, and the penetration questionable, for a unit construction like this The weld prep was also virtaully non existant, so I think the welder was just asked to "Tig it up" and thats what he did, as a result the srength was more the TIG weld iteslf and not a deep fusion weld between the two.

I had a gear box to transfer box conversion that was like that. A prop shaft spline was welded to a gear and the weld bead was all of 2mm wide. Very pretty but useless with no penetration. It left me stranded on the M6 near Preston in my 6x6. That lead me to first reweld it properly and then to redesign the whole transmission system and build my own three speed transfer box.

• 4 weeks later...

^^^^

Just had a look at the PDF - Go look at the welds :rofl: FFS...........

Matey box is all back together and he has in his words "Fully tested" it trying to see if it breaks :) and all is well, the TIG seems to have biten this time, the big V it cut between the shaft and the gear ment it had real penetration and having tacked it and popped it in the lathe to spin up for trueness its quiter than before he reckons :blink:

Nige