KAM Differentials

missingsid

I recently had reason to call KAM to enquire about the different halfshafts available, I am a stubborn old git who likes to do things that others say don’t make sense.

When I called I spoke to Steve the Sales Manager and although my purchase would only be a couple of hundred pounds he suggested that I spoke to the MD Kevin.

This made me feel a little humbled as during the following conversation with Kevin I could here all sorts of clangs and metallic noises from the other end. As I was looking for a specific length of halfshaft, Kevin had gone up into the store and was searching through old dusty stock.

During the conversation he talked about a customer / supplier whose name I did not know but my guess whom it was, was confirmed when he said that I would know him better as NAS90.

(Apparently you will be told that they have a solution to your halfshaft request??)

As a result of NAS90’s and to a minor degree my questions, Kevin and Steve have discovered an unspecified amount of old stock for the pneumatic lockers they made donkey’s years ago, this includes an odd halfshaft or two, pipe work etc. and other bits that I can’t remember due to senility. Some of this stuff was made about 12 years ago.

So if you have the old locker system and need parts or spares then I suggest that you call them as it may not be made again.

As for my part, a site visit is called for which Kevin is very helpful with.

Having seen the ads for KAM I was astounded that they had the same interest in the sport as they must have had at the very beginning of the business, I had figured that as KAM had focused on a specific product range that they would not be interested in messing around trying to help for something that does not directly fit with in their range.

Thanks guys.

I hope others have found the same helpfulness that I did. :)

Marc.

I recently had reason to call KAM to enquire about the different halfshafts available, I am a stubborn old git who likes to do things that others say don’t make sense.

When I called I spoke to Steve the Sales Manager and although my purchase would only be a couple of hundred pounds he suggested that I spoke to the MD Kevin.

This made me feel a little humbled as during the following conversation with Kevin I could here all sorts of clangs and metallic noises from the other end. As I was looking for a specific length of halfshaft, Kevin had gone up into the store and was searching through old dusty stock.

During the conversation he talked about a customer / supplier whose name I did not know but my guess whom it was, was confirmed when he said that I would know him better as NAS90.

(Apparently you will be told that they have a solution to your halfshaft request??)

As a result of NAS90’s and to a minor degree my questions, Kevin and Steve have discovered an unspecified amount of old stock for the pneumatic lockers they made donkey’s years ago, this includes an odd halfshaft or two, pipe work etc. and other bits that I can’t remember due to senility. Some of this stuff was made about 12 years ago.

So if you have the old locker system and need parts or spares then I suggest that you call them as it may not be made again.

As for my part, a site visit is called for which Kevin is very helpful with.

Having seen the ads for KAM I was astounded that they had the same interest in the sport as they must have had at the very beginning of the business, I had figured that as KAM had focused on a specific product range that they would not be interested in messing around trying to help for something that does not directly fit with in their range.

Thanks guys.

I hope others have found the same helpfulness that I did. :)

Marc.

The only sure method of getting what you want from KAM is to go to their store and rummage and pester!

Personally I still prefer the KAM locker to the ARB but I just wish they could reduce their lead-times from months and years to maybe hours :lol:

The guys at KAM will bend over backwards to look after you, they have had any parts that I have needed on the shelf and dispatched them same day. Having used KAMs lockers I would not bother considering any other makes again as their price, quality and technical help is superb.

Kevin at Kam's is a nice guy and he did me a very good deal on halfshafts years ago. Its a bit of an odd setup that appears to be run out of his front room and a barn over the way on the farm that its on. The impression I got was that it is run as a bit of side line to whatever his main business interest is.

However as they are a relatively small business, they tend to batch manufacture so if the item you want is out of stock it will remain out of stock until he orders another batch. For some of the older, slower moving items he also tends to wait until he has got a reasonable numebr of people waiting for an item before ordering another batch. The series rear halfshafts are a classic example of this. I bought the last set he had and he said he was unlikely to order any more. I beleive he has since run another batch of them however.

It doesnt help you when you desperately need something, but I can understand why he works that way!

Jon

Went down to see Kevin yesterday.

As I was not sure what items that I needed I explained to Kevin what it was I was trying to achieve.

We spent half an hour using his knowledge and the parts bins to come up with a solution.

Kevin then took me through teh workshop to show me the products they are working on.

Having not really looked at the philosophy behind KAM I was pleased to see that kAM has created a series of products that offer a scaleable range that builds from low cost to high function.

The other thing that I did not realise is that Kevin created the wobbly spline that Rakeway makes.

It is really good to meet a supplier who really loves the stuff they make, I am pretty sure that this is the kind of experience that customers of Si and X-Eng have as well.

I guess this is due to people who come up with ideas in Motorsport do it for the love of the sport.

Cheers Kevin it was really good to work with asupplier who did not say something is impossible but who will take the time to explore the possible.

Marc.

We are glad to have been of service, Please check out our website www.kamdiffs.com or come and see us at the Peterborough show in september where we will be exhibiting.

Steve, KAM Differentials ltd.

Hi,

Must admit Kevin has always been very helpful {& frows a good bbq whens the next invite big man} just a shame the basic product he had to work with from LR was so **** to begin with <_<

Wish 15 years ago i justy binned my LR axles & started with proper axles would of saved £KKKKKKKKK over the following years. :(

A good hub conversion so bigger shafts could be used would be a marvel Kevin !!!