External cooling to a LT77

kkk2

I have a lt77 and 1.2 xfer box fitted behind a 6 cylinder 4.2 MWM tdi. 422ft/lb @1500prm 204hp@3500rpm also running straight through 3" exhaust. It came from M&D Engineering(Anglia). It drives brilliantly and has good fuel economy, however on medium to long runs the gearbox is getting really hot, much hotter than the same type box in a 200tdi. I know it is possible to add a cooler to the R380 but is there any way to cool the lt77?. As the engine is 6 cyl. there is no room to move it forward enough to fit a R380 behind it without major alterations.

Any help/suggestions?

Guest diesel_jim
I have a lt77 and 1.2 xfer box fitted behind a 6 cylinder 4.2 MWM tdi. 422ft/lb @1500prm 204hp@3500rpm also running straight through 3" exhaust. It came from M&D Engineering(Anglia). It drives brilliantly and has good fuel economy, however on medium to long runs the gearbox is getting really hot, much hotter than the same type box in a 200tdi. I know it is possible to add a cooler to the R380 but is there any way to cool the lt77?. As the engine is 6 cyl. there is no room to move it forward enough to fit a R380 behind it without major alterations.

Any help/suggestions?

I'm 99% sure the same kit for the R380 fits into the LT77 as well. it's just that adaptor thing that bolts onto the LH side of the casing.

Any help/suggestions?

I've swapped an LT77 for an R380 with no problems. I also run an oil cooler on my R380 not that it seems to make any difference to the heat in the seatbox area.

mike

I have a thermatic housing (for oil cooler) from an LT77 on an R380. I believe there may be a difference in the threads of the ports, but that should not worry you.

Have you any photographs of the housing please? thanks, I have looked at a spare lt77 on the groung and on the lhs there are only the filler plug and a large plug at the bottom of the box, I understood the oil was pumped from the gearbox pump through the cooler?

Guest diesel_jim

I've got one here in the garage... i'm just going for a run, then i'll take some pics of it when i get back.

it replaces that little external pipe thing on the side of the casing.

Guest diesel_jim

Righto, run all done! :i-m_so_happy:

Here's the "oil cooler adaptor":, there are different part numbers for different boxes. i thought they were the same, maybe Ashcrofts can shed some light on it, but microcat shows:

FTC2104 for V8 R380

FTC2687 for BMW 2.8i R380

FTC1404 for LT77

post-130-1218361482_thumb.jpg

There is also an "oil temparatue warning light" adaptor, which just turns on a light (you whould have though thet'd combine it int the oil cooler one as well :unsure::unsure:

FTC2104 for LT77 ( mine looks like it'll fit the R380 as well)

...pictures on next page:

Diesel Jim thanks for the photos, beside main dealer who would have the bits ? how big a cooler does the system have and where does it mount? thanks again

Right went out and had a look, there is no place to mount this part on my Lt77, anyone know at what suffix this option was available on lt77's?

Guest diesel_jim
Diesel Jim thanks for the photos, beside main dealer who would have the bits ? how big a cooler does the system have and where does it mount? thanks again

There's several different types of radiator available, some look like the "bog brush" long and thin, some are a square type (the military wolf's used these) very similar to the engine oil cooler.

the factory "euro" spec Td5 box cooler is nothing more that a bent piece of 1/2" pipe! it goes from the gearbox up to the front cossmember, loops along it and comes back. :rolleyes:

Fot the cooler adaptors, try giving Dave @ Ashcrofts a shout, he sourced my last one for me, he may have more in stock (second hand but perfectly good)

My gearbox oil cooler, That should really read oil radiator :rolleyes: is a normal type. It's mounted behind the front grill below the grill opening. I cit the front away like the first TD5's were at the bottom. It's also mounted on the front panel at the bottom.

The biggest problem I had was finding the hose adaptors from the Land Rover Wolf pipes to the flexi pipes to the oil radiator. I used the Wolf steel pipes but I wouldn't pay the price for the Wolf flexi hoses.

I might have the part No's of the pipes and clips somewhere.

mike

Guest diesel_jim

I might have the part No's of the pipes and clips somewhere.

mike

Here ya go:

post-130-1218387846_thumb.jpg post-130-1218387900_thumb.jpg

post-130-1218387920_thumb.jpg post-130-1218387928_thumb.jpg post-130-1218387939_thumb.jpg

re: the wolf pipes. DLR (Dunsfold) have a load at the mo, they keep advertising them on ebay. £15 each.

Guest diesel_jim
None of those pipes are anything like I've got fitted Jim ??

Although mine are Wolf ones for the 380.

How does LESR2749 sound Jim ?

I didn't go for the Wolf oil radiator because of the size of the thing.

mike

Yes Mike, the numbers i posted are civvy ones, the number you show is indeed the military one, here's the mil parts:

ESR2749 Steel oil pipe x 2

ESR2579 Clamp

ESR1584 Clamp x 2

ESR2416 Bracket

ESR2435 Bracket

I've got the same problem, trying to fit the oil cooler with a full size intercooler. might try the bog brush type