Reversing CCTV

bosbeer

I would like to fit a reversing CCTV to my Defender . I have seen a couple of Rear view mirrors with in built Screens http://www.vue-cctv.co.uk/vue-cctv.htm?pag...g_systems.shtml and here http://www.vision-uk.co.uk

My wonder however if these "mirror" do act like a mirror if the system is of, I have seen systems integrated into the visors , but seems only available in USA.http://www.visorview.com/VV2_camera_system.html

Any suggestions?

I've recently done this to my 90 - one camera above the rear door for reversing and one in the grill to monitor the winch and help with bunching etc.

I bought cheapy parts from Ebay - screen is this one.

The screen wasn't exactly what I was expecting - I thought it was going to be mirrored but it is in fact black. It is super shiny and works surprisingly well as a mirror when the screen is off. It is shiny enough to prevent you viewing the screen in bright sunlight when the mirror is pointing out of the back door, so I just flip the lever which points the mirror into the rear roof and can see perfectly.

I had the dilemma about mirror screen vs sunvisor screen - I plumped for the mirror screen as I didn't want to be constantly folding the visor up and down to use the screen. Bear in mind that the bigger mirrors are quite large - next time you go for a drive think about how much you use the part of the windscreen immediately under the standard mirror - I find the bigger screen mirror gets in the way a bit, and I might shorten the mirror arm to lift it a bit.

In use, the camera is marvellous. Reversing onto a trailer alone for instance is a moments work, as opposed to having to get out about four times to check I was lined up and not going too far etc.

Let me know if you need further info.

Pics.....

Screen mounted - my ball wasn't a close fit in the cup so I wrapped some clingfilm round the ball and popped it back into the cup to tighten the tolerance, otherwise the mirror sagged with the wieght of the screen. Note weeny speakers if you needed them.

DSC01568.jpg

In mirror mode (i.e screen off) - actually much better than this piccy in real life.

DSC01562.jpg

Front bullet camera mounted under numberplate-attached-to-grill

DSC01569.jpg

Rear camera by washer jets

DSC01570.jpg

View of winch / a bit of ground in front

DSC01566.jpg

View of rear and orange NATO hitch. Useful for seeing if I've got a bulb out :P

DSC01563.jpg

Last two pics are a bit blurry - image is pretty clear in real life....

That looks really good, Si, better then I thought it would be.

I have been thinking about a reversing camera too. I was thinking of one for lining up for my trailer and also one on the back of the box trailer so I can still have a central rear view as if I was looking through the trailer.

How simple is it to link more then one camera to the monitor and how many connections are there to the camera if I do put one on the trailer?

Thanks.

The screen I bought has two inputs. There is a button on the mirror which changed between the two inputs.

Works much better than I thought it would, too.

Great when I'm towing the Sankey - mine's a narrow track so I can't see it in the side mirrors when driving in a straight line. Using the rear camera I can see it's still there :P and check the load is still secure.

Backing onto the trailer is soooooooo easy...

Backing onto the trailer is soooooooo easy...

I currently have a big JCB mirror attached to the front of the trailer so I can see my tow bar as I reverse up to the trailer. I then had to put a light on the hitch so I could see it in the dark and then a couple of white fog lights as auxillary reversing lights under the bumper so I can see the trailer wheels when I am reversing in the dark. A camera would be easier.

I have a setup on the 130 4 cameras in all! My monitor is a Brigade one, If you can find a second hand one they are well worth it. Cameras were obtained from Ebay. I have one on my grill for watching the winch. one on rear cross member for general rear view. one on top of tailgate for backing up to trailers. And one on the back of the trailer. I also so have an input into the monitor for watching videos off the Ipod! :P a friend found my a splitter box on ebay with 4 inputs and one output with a selection switch. anyone want photos just ask.

the ones with the cameras for watching the winch, how do the cameras fare in water??

well they survive heavy rain, but if your asking about submersing them I have no idea mine is a commercial vehicle not a comp vehicle sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
any particular reason youve used the audio connections on the switcher rather than the video ones Matt?

yeah cos being a 3quid splitter box after 6 months some of the video sockets were starting to play up! still looking for a better quality splitter

Guest otchie1
yeah cos being a 3quid splitter box after 6 months some of the video sockets were starting to play up! still looking for a better quality splitter

It's just a bog standard 1v p2p video signal and in the low loss environment of your car you could get away with almost anything. You could even common up the the outers and just switch the inners if you wanted. Like you've discovered, audio switchers will work just fine.

Most CCTV kit is designed to work the other way in that you try to send one source to many monitors unless you get in to matrixes/multiplexors but that starts to cost a lot more than £3.

SystemQ do a switcher than can handle 12 inputs at about £30 CCT223 but you'll need to convert those plugs to BNC to use it. Maybe Maplins?

Is it a power up the coax job or have you had to run a separate pair for the 12V?

It's just a bog standard 1v p2p video signal and in the low loss environment of your car you could get away with almost anything. You could even common up the the outers and just switch the inners if you wanted. Like you've discovered, audio switchers will work just fine.

Most CCTV kit is designed to work the other way in that you try to send one source to many monitors unless you get in to matrixes/multiplexors but that starts to cost a lot more than £3.

SystemQ do a switcher than can handle 12 inputs at about £30 CCT223 but you'll need to convert those plugs to BNC to use it. Maybe Maplins?

Is it a power up the coax job or have you had to run a separate pair for the 12V?

sorry mate you've lost me!!!