Defender 110 rear disc brakes

minivin

Just wondering, what years did LR make the 110 with a Salisbury rear axle, that had disc brakes, that could be transfered over to a late Series III 109 rear Salisbury Axle?

Just planning future mods ;)

1994 model year, Diesel Jim posted this on LRO.

if IIRC info on how to convert a rear drum braked 110 using 2nd hand or new parts

with full credit to diesel jim :D

get the drum braked salisbury,

pull the whole lot off,

but leave the stub axles in place.

get an ex 90 front axle,

remove the hub & stud assembly (this is the bit with the wheelbearing in that the wheels bolt to).

then buy a pair of the salisbury rear axle calliper mounting brackets

(used on the early disc braked salisburies

before they started making the casings with the calliper brackets moulded into them).

bolt these on,

then stick the front hubs onto the salibury stubs (they fit straight on).

use the front spacer thing (with the tag on it) onto the rear stubs. (it will be able to rotate about 10 degrees either way,

but it won't when everything is tightened up),

then adjust the wheelbearings as usual.

the standard drum braked salisbury halfshafts WILL fit perfectly.

i measured mine with the differential out on a salisbury casing and its exactly the same as with drum brakes fitted.

you need to fit either: rangie rear discs with rangie callipers (small pads though.....)

OR

110 rear discs and 110 rear callipers. much better, but more expensive,

the rangie callipers are <almost> 2 a penny.

they both share the same bolt spacing that fits straight onto the mounting brackets.

If you use the rangie callipers,

then you'll need to grind/cut/mill about 4 mm off of the brackets and callipers

(2mm off of each will do) to get the callipers to clear the edge of the disc,

so it may be easier to get the 110 brakes.

i've done the conversion on an axle that is going to go onto my rebuilt 90 soon.

just got to get the callipers milled a bit. i'll post some pics ASAP.

Rob,

Yes - it'll fit (or can be made to fit).

I have exactly this set up on the back of my series (although my rear axle isnt a salisbury). If you do a search on the old LRE forum you'll find a post I did telling you exactly what needs to be done.

Cheers

Jon

Oh - you cant use the defender half shafts - they're much too long!

Jon

The short halfshaft in a 110 (pre defender) and a SIII are exactly the same length. The long shaft is 6" shorter in a SIII - but that doesn't matter as you just use the SIII shafts.

What you do need to do, is swap the SIII stub axles for early 110 (or SIII Stage 1) stub axles - this is because the SIIA and SIII hubs have one big and one small hub bearing, while all coil sprung hubs (and stage 1 as well) have 2 bearings in the same size (in between the series sizes).

Another option - is I know people who have machined the rear face of the SIII hub smooth, and drilled and tapped it to accept a disc/rotor.

Er.......dunno - it was a reply to someones question about disk brakes!

Its one there somewhere but I dont requent there anymore so...........

Search function is pooped and trying to search through a users posts is pooped :(

The short halfshaft in a 110 (pre defender) and a SIII are exactly the same length. The long shaft is 6" shorter in a SIII - but that doesn't matter as you just use the SIII shafts.

What you do need to do, is swap the SIII stub axles for early 110 (or SIII Stage 1) stub axles - this is because the SIIA and SIII hubs have one big and one small hub bearing, while all coil sprung hubs (and stage 1 as well) have 2 bearings in the same size (in between the series sizes).

Another option - is I know people who have machined the rear face of the SIII hub smooth, and drilled and tapped it to accept a disc/rotor.

Cheers! now all I got to do is find an axle or a 110 being scrapped.....

i just used late ser3 stubs, they use same size bearings and then fitted classic rangie hubs onto them.

thanks for reminding me of that, as me axles painted I wouldn't care if it had brackets welded on so that's a option on getting the bits :)

thanks for reminding me of that, as me axles painted I wouldn't care if it had brackets welded on so that's a option on getting the bits :)

i only welded my caliper brackets to the axle cos i can, savin me the cost of bolt on ones, ser3 stubs still work with bolt on caliper brackets.

I converted my 110 Salisbury to discs in the early 90's and can't remember all the details.

The caliper mount is clever and I bought them from a chap up North somewhere called Glen. Used to have a power saw in his living room! I've lost touch with him now. They bolt to the inner face of the axle end flange (this is a machined face) and take RR calipers, although I subsequently changed to Capri calipers which fit with fettling. They also have the advantage of being able to fit a second set of calipers for fiddle or handbrake.

I have a spare drum axle if anyone wants it, all working but needs new bearings. The disc axle is on a pallet if anyone wanted to see how it was done.