A frame ball joint

From the posts I could find on here it seems that extreme violence is the order of the day in getting the ball joint out of the axle but after much bashing I am at a loss

It is all pretty rusty down there and I had to split the nut off with a chisel, I could remove the axle totally as I have to fit the Llama 4x4 kit later in the week so everything is coming off anyway and flip the axle in my press but that is a lot of effort.

Would a large G-clamp be enough to push it out?

It also seems like I could do with new brackets that hold the a frame bushes that bolt to the chassis, any thoughts on where to find some of these as unless I am going blind I can't find reference to them on various on line shops?

Cheers peeps

At work they always do them with a press, not sure how successful the bashing method is :rolleyes:

I think the technique with a press is to cut the two "wings" off (the bit where the bolt goes through) and then push against the body of the bracket where those bits have been cut off - you might be able to do the same with a big vice and a couple of big sockets?

At work they always do them with a press, not sure how successful the bashing method is :rolleyes:

I think the technique with a press is to cut the two "wings" off (the bit where the bolt goes through) and then push against the body of the bracket where those bits have been cut off - you might be able to do the same with a big vice and a couple of big sockets?

I have a press to do the ball joint into the A-frame I have a suitable tube to avoid pushing on the joint, it is the thread shaft that goes into the axle that I am having grief from (hence the use of lots of various percussion instruments ;))

I have a ball joint separator that is almost big enough and with a larger mallet recon it will spread enough to do its job

Jack the rear axle up till its just off the ground but with the jack under the a-frame. Then a few blows from a lump hammer onto the axle bracket that the a-frame joint attaches to would be my choice. That said ball joint separators are good and if they don't do the trick use them in addition to the jack/hammer :)

Jack the rear axle up till its just off the ground but with the jack under the a-frame. Then a few blows from a lump hammer onto the axle bracket that the a-frame joint attaches to would be my choice. That said ball joint separators are good and if they don't do the trick use them in addition to the jack/hammer :)

Been trying to find a wider ball joint splitter as my set is mighty fine but a tad too narrow, and all the large ones are Comercial / HGV ones and so come with a hefty price tag

I have a 3lb lump hammer that I am tickling it with, should that be enough or is it an execute to get something more manly?

ta muchly

Steve

Cheers for the reply chaps

As I am fitting the Llama4x4 kit mid next week I have to take the brake line, shocks, trailing arms and springs off anyway so that only leaves the prop holding the axle on so I will whip that off and just spin the axle upside down and punch the joint out the axle.

Going to give the rear quarter chassis, axle and a frame a clean up and hammerite them up to make them look a bit nicer and help delay the rust

Use lots and lots of swearing, threats and as many cups of tea as is allowed.

Myne was a nightmare, got nuts of no probs then ball joint was sezied into drop arm thumped droparm a few times with a 50lb hammer it soon fell out.

getting the inards out was ok the top cup was a nightmare. Was so worn the lip you use to press out was inline with the droparm. Used a 11/16th socket peice of standard quality it pushes through with a small bench vice and then once past the droparm section spread and caught the cup and pushed it right out. Very lucky to get it out at all.

Pushing new cup. cup in place 21mm socket so no chance of damaging roller surfaqce and jacked vehicle up via droparm. Then viced the jack and droparm and tightened up whilst smacking vice with ahmmer and the added weight of the landy and she popped back in. Put evrything back together and what a hell of a diffrence.

Now just got to do it again with the landy thats off the road getting restored it looks a mnuch healthier job though all the same got my trusty arsenal of hammers vices and brute forse.

well its out but the spring seat mounts and the trail arm mounts are pretty corroded, also the spring securing bolts sheared off and the nut is rusted solid to the spring seat mount on the axle

Ideally I would love to replace it with a disc rear axle but there is nothing local to me and shipping an axle seems prohibitively expensive.

So what do you think? use / bin / repair ?

Anyone got an axle down south?

Sometimes you just shouldn't start some things :P

post-10621-1222005673_thumb.jpg

post-10621-1222005756_thumb.jpg

post-10621-1222005730_thumb.jpg

have a search about for a disco axle 24spline and rear discs as well altho you will need to change the input flange for a 4 bolt not a 3 bolt one

usually pick them up a pair for £100 lotsa breakers on ebay down your way

dave

Any southern Land rover breakers yoiu care to name?

Ta steve

i just did this the other day, I gave it a bash afew times with a lump of wood and a mallet, then a few times with the dead weight plastic hammer. Then just used a ball joint splitter, I had the axle up on a bench in the middle of the room, and it just went ping and flew about 8 ft across the room....

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31567 the axles here any help? or too far from you?

Cheers for that, I had posted in that thread and he didn't have any good rears

I am paused with no axle at the moment as I am getting a locker (jury is still out as to what one) and am being provided a good condition 2nd hand one to go with the new diff, so I can't be naffed to fit this ball joint then have to do it all again on the new axle :P