Discovery I - rear door lock

john01473

I recently changed the lock mechanism and solenoid on the back door.

Everything was working ok for a few weeksm central locking - child locks etc.

I have noticed that now the key no longer locks or unlocks the back door and yet it did.

Any ideas before I strip the whole thing down again.

post-11040-1223400398_thumb.jpg

I recently changed the lock mechanism and solenoid on the back door.

Everything was working ok for a few weeksm central locking - child locks etc.

I have noticed that now the key no longer locks or unlocks the back door and yet it did.

Was the lock mechanism brand new or was it 2nd hand? If it was 2nd hand the spring may have broken and you would have to strip it down again. From your note I'm not sure if you mean the key doesn't work specifically in the back door keyhole or whether it doesn't work with the central locking. If the spring is gone u would be able to feel the lack of tension when you manually lift and press the back door lock. You would also still hear the solenoid trying to do it's job behind the panel.

Sorry, just saw the picture which i couldn't download before. Clearly a new unit but looking to the right of the picture/lock looks like the spring could be hanging loose. Perhaps it was dislodged slightly when you installed it and has pinged off after a week's use? A bit of a long shot but you should be able to see if the spring's in the right place or not without taking the whole lock out. However if it dislodged u will have to take it out as previously said.

Yes. Strip it down again :)

Not exactly the whole thing though. Just remove the door card (and the protective sheet if there is one - Edit: there isn't ... - just looked at the pic) and check what happens when you rotate the key. Might be a lever hanging loose or some other thing I can't name that fell off. You'll figure it out.

Was the lock mechanism brand new or was it 2nd hand? If it was 2nd hand the spring may have broken and you would have to strip it down again. From your note I'm not sure if you mean the key doesn't work specifically in the back door keyhole or whether it doesn't work with the central locking. If the spring is gone u would be able to feel the lack of tension when you manually lift and press the back door lock. You would also still hear the solenoid trying to do it's job behind the panel.

Sorry, just saw the picture which i couldn't download before. Clearly a new unit but looking to the right of the picture/lock looks like the spring could be hanging loose. Perhaps it was dislodged slightly when you installed it and has pinged off after a week's use? A bit of a long shot but you should be able to see if the spring's in the right place or not without taking the whole lock out. However if it dislodged u will have to take it out as previously said.

it was a new lock i fitted -

the central locking does work -

when the key is in the barrel there is no resitance when turning the key -

this the same with central locking on or off.

suppose the strip down is on the cards - oh B!"£!ks.

it was a new lock i fitted -

the central locking does work -

when the key is in the barrel there is no resitance when turning the key -

this the same with central locking on or off.

suppose the strip down is on the cards - oh B!"£!ks.

In which case it is the barrel of the external lock which is at fault and yes, as far as i know you have to take out the new lock you put in to get to the barrel behind it. I did mine recently but my problem was the barrel was seized, wouldn't turn at all. Tried WD40 from the front but nothing happened, had to change the spring anyway so stripped whole lock and barrel, sprayed the barrel direct with WD40 and now it works fine. Can't remember how the barrel interacts with lock but basically I'd agree you're gonna have to strip it down again at least partially to get at the problem.

In which case it is the barrel of the external lock which is at fault and yes, as far as i know you have to take out the new lock you put in to get to the barrel behind it. I did mine recently but my problem was the barrel was seized, wouldn't turn at all. Tried WD40 from the front but nothing happened, had to change the spring anyway so stripped whole lock and barrel, sprayed the barrel direct with WD40 and now it works fine. Can't remember how the barrel interacts with lock but basically I'd agree you're gonna have to strip it down again at least partially to get at the problem.

i stripped it down today and it appears thet the pin that locates a bar in the barrel has gone - ended up stripping it all down -

have spoken to local delaer and he will sort out what i need - the handle is corroded and so is the u bracket that holds thew barrel.

there is a crack in the plastic outer door pod. sounds like this is going to be expensive.

i was planning to replace the door card with a panel with Chequer Plate - so the less i have to put back the better.

i stripped it down today and it appears thet the pin that locates a bar in the barrel has gone - ended up stripping it all down -

have spoken to local delaer and he will sort out what i need - the handle is corroded and so is the u bracket that holds thew barrel.

there is a crack in the plastic outer door pod. sounds like this is going to be expensive.

i was planning to replace the door card with a panel with Chequer Plate - so the less i have to put back the better.

went to the dealer today - cant beleive the prices - £136.00 for the plastic out handle cover. £18 for ther bit i want.

have ordered cover from scrap yard - will use best of both. no more kebabs this month will have to cut back.

Big John

went to the dealer today - cant beleive the prices - £136.00 for the plastic out handle cover. £18 for ther bit i want.

have ordered cover from scrap yard - will use best of both. no more kebabs this month will have to cut back.

Big John

got the new barrel and bar part and a secondhand cover so will use the best bits from both 2moro.

here goes nothing.

got the new barrel and bar part and a secondhand cover so will use the best bits from both 2moro.

here goes nothing.

this has got to be the fidliest job i have ever done.

nearly finished it and on of the connector rods fell of and wedged itself in the lock

so took it all apart and after 4 hours of cleaning and putting it all back i finally finished

no wonder the garage did not want to do the job

glad its over

Big John

this has got to be the fidliest job i have ever done.

nearly finished it and on of the connector rods fell of and wedged itself in the lock

so took it all apart and after 4 hours of cleaning and putting it all back i finally finished

no wonder the garage did not want to do the job

glad its over

Big John

Epic job! Well done for sticking it through though. Bit different to struggling under the car with impossibly corroded bolts etc. but very taxing in a cerebral kinda way! I had a few scary moments putting my tailgate lock back together when I just couldn't remember how it worked but got through in the end. I now have to change the spring in my nearside front door which apparently entails taking out the glass which i'm not looking forward to.

Getting the parts from a dealer though...surely you could have got the part 2nd hand somewhere? I find Ebay a very useful resource and Discovery I's are always being broken on Ebay.

Epic job! Well done for sticking it through though. Bit different to struggling under the car with impossibly corroded bolts etc. but very taxing in a cerebral kinda way! I had a few scary moments putting my tailgate lock back together when I just couldn't remember how it worked but got through in the end. I now have to change the spring in my nearside front door which apparently entails taking out the glass which i'm not looking forward to.

Getting the parts from a dealer though...surely you could have got the part 2nd hand somewhere? I find Ebay a very useful resource and Discovery I's are always being broken on Ebay.

I normally use ebay when I can - that’s where I got the new plastic door handle cover thing.

A new plastic cover would have been £136 and I paid less than £20 for it including postage from a guy on ebay.

I have got a few parts from Chris at Fenlandrover-Spares&Acessories - from ebay - good service - top man

I got a fuel sedimentor from Chris so that I can use the case rather than buy new.

As for the parts dealer I use, Duncan from Britcar (UK) Ltd - is a nice guy -

I took all the old parts and he went through them and I only bought what was not fixable which was the barrel. He has a website with a search facility on part number.