Winch Battery on a Discovery 1 300TDi

mitch

I am thinking of buying a second battery to use with my new winch but having had a look under the bonnet the only place seems to be on the opposite side to the existing battery but the Ait Intake and a couple of bits are in the way. Is this where people normally put a second battery? If not what other options do people use?

Regards

Mitch

As Mr Orange says I have done it on mine, but a lot depends on what else is fitted to the truck - namely ABS, EGR valves and Mass Airflow meters... Mine has the lot, which rather complicated issues. If you don't have some of them, then it is a bit simpler.

My solution ended up being rather extreme, as I managed to drill a large hole in a slightly inadvisable place, straight through the strengthening section on the inner wing, and had to weld in some sections to give some strength back to the panel.

I will put some pictures up in a few minutes once I have sorted them out.

OK, some pictures:

first I modified the airbox; adding a new entry flange and blanking off the old one

gallery_92_604_69698.jpg

The flange is stainless, and is made from a piece of tube tig welded to a flange that was made on the lathe. There is also another piece of stainless in there as a spacer, and a neoprene gasket clamped together with stainless m6 machine screws, with lots of silicone to sealing it up...

The entrance was blanked off with a piece of aluminium bent to shape, and riveted in place, and again lots of silicone involved..

gallery_92_604_35156.jpg

gallery_92_604_22507.jpg

Then I attacked the inner wing with a 4" holesaw:

gallery_92_604_121470.jpg

Sadly I didn't pay enough attention to what was on the other side (really should have known better) so had to go about capping the strengthening rib, and adding some new...

gallery_92_604_34332.jpg

gallery_92_604_91161.jpg

This meant I could then use a silicone elbow from the raised air intake off my 200 tdi as a cold air feed into the modified airbox:

gallery_92_604_92950.jpg

and it can be used the other way round when I get round to fitting the snorkel off the 200 onto this truck

gallery_92_604_111835.jpg

Anyway, the general layout is this:

gallery_92_604_94764.jpg

It is an awful lot of work to enable the battery to be fitted, but it works well, and I will end up with the raised air intake fitted too...

Hope that helps

Mark

Thanks for the advice on where to put a winch battery. I went to a local "Battery shop" to see what they had in the way of suitable batteries, told them what I wanted it for and said I wanted something with at least 600CCA and they tried to sell me a "Leisure Battery" because high CCA is only required for starting cars. Would a leisure battery be OK for occasional use of the winch?

Mitch

Here's another idea taken from an Ozzie forum.

He's put the battery up against the bulkhead. This only works on right hand drive cars.....the washer bottle has been relocated.

It's not the best picture in the world and I'm not sorry I pinched it from somewhere else!post-264-1223793006_thumb.jpg