no drive

on the way to work this morning, I lost all drive, changing gear was difficult in high & low,selecting low range & difflock made no difference, so I have a very poorly 110 that needs some TLC over the weekend, just been towed home by the AA & he reckons the clutch plate has gone,

any thoughts :unsure:

Les fancy a weekend in Cornwall fitting another clutch ?

can't even get my 110 in the driveway until a mate gets home from work, have to use his RR to push mine in the driveway, then start taking things apart.

nope, nothing at all, the hydraulic part works & the pedal returns without problem,

AA disconnected both props from the axle end & securely tied up to the chassis[as per their procedures]

just been out with engine running, park brake off, engaged 1st high & got out no movement from either prop [still connected at gearbox end], now goes into gear while stationary without to much hassle.

Does the pedal feel normal Ralph? I'd be surprised if the plate has gone - you have a 130 item in there.

Les.

Hi Les,

pedal feels fine, no lose of fluid either, bell housing drain is dry & master cylinder is full, no fluid on pedal arm in cab.

clutch has been in for 2 years now.

I've had a friction plate lining detach from the plate before, [rivets had sheared] & the friction material was still in 1 part, but at that time the clutch just slipped badly, this one isn't slipping & doesn't smell of fried linings.

nope, nothing at all, the hydraulic part works & the pedal returns without problem,

AA disconnected both props from the axle end & securely tied up to the chassis[as per their procedures]

just been out with engine running, park brake off, engaged 1st high & got out no movement from either prop [still connected at gearbox end], now goes into gear while stationary without to much hassle.

How long since you have checked the condition of the splines on the gearbox mainshaft (the one protuding into the transfer box) ??

Reverse gone too? Selection of all the gears as per usual? Gear levers feel ok? No unusual noises at all?

I think I'd be inclined to take the floor & tunnel out for a look inside the selector housing then drop the bottom plate on the transfer box. I'd also check the OD before much else too.

Cheers Guys, I'm going to drop the OD later & check that end of the drive train,

just done this check.

stationary/engine running/select gear/transfer box in high/raise revs/speedo operates, so everything upto the transfer box is OK, no nasty noises from anywhere.

but first, time for these

post-20-1224154342.jpeg

post-20-1224154441_thumb.jpg

I've drained the TB oil all is fine, no lumpy bits, some very fine almost grease like fingers on the magnetic drain plug, removed the overdrive & it's gear/adaptor plate from the TB, both look fine, no nasty surprises inside the TB, I'm able to rotate all the gears in high & low range, no damage on any gear at all, main gearbox shaft/splines is fine, no damage or play,

before I dropped the TB oil, I ran the engine & was able to select easily all gears inc reverse, the clutch works fine & the mainshaft rotates & varies speed as I increased the revs in each gear.

Could the overdrive is causing the problem & not transmittiing the drive to the output gears ? :huh::unsure:

I have the TB's gears/plates & I'm going to refit these & try it without the overdrive to see what happens.

I'd still bet on the clutch centre. I saw one the other day which transmitted a minimal amount of drive and when out of the vehicle it felt OK (i.e. you couldn't spin the splines with your fingers and there wasn't the usual pile of rivets and springs in the bellhousing) but when the driven plate was put onto the mainshaft and turned forcefully by hand with the box in gear, it just slipped.

I don't think they make Tdi clutches like they used to. The same could be said of 300Tdi brake servos too :rtfm:

I'd recommend changing the whole clutch (pressure plate, driven plate, bearing, and probably the fork too unless it's a Hensonite version) if in any doubt.

Could the overdrive is causing the problem & not transmittiing the drive to the output gears ? :huh::unsure:

Yes.

Minme looses all drive at times. Generally just before a service is due and firts thing in a morning within the first three miles.

I now change my overdrive oil every 6,000 miles. The cheaper ATF seems better than the expensive full synthetic.

At least you're nearer Devon 4X4 than I am. Sometime next year my overdrive's going to them.

mike

A few years ago in my old 110, I stopped at a roundabout waiting for a gap, went to pull away and nothing. No Drive, No Noise, nothing. Could shift up and down the box but just stood still. Complete centre of clutch plate dropped out in bits as the gearbox was removed :(

Right, refitted the original gear & carrier to the TB, Overdrive now sat in my garage, started up/engaged gear with a bit of a bang/clunk, took foot of clutch pedal, no movement from the speedo & no drive from the TB, so I'm sure the overdrive is OK as it was working fine yesterday driving home from Swindon & earl shilton prior to that.

next stage is to refit the props to the axles & then lift the floor plates ready to aqttack the gearbox clutch housing bolts & mounts ready to slide it back to get at the clutch.

cheers for all your thoughts so far. :i-m_so_happy:

I've got a Les H operating fork already so that will stay.