Air filter scientific test results

JimAttrill

Hi all, I have searched the whole forum for K&N with no results at all - strange. Can someone point me at the URL for the US scientific tests that proved that the K&N didn't actually filter the air much at all? I want to put it on our Africa forum as no-one here should use a filter that lets most dust through.

Also any ideas what I did wrong with my search?

Just to poke the K&N filter debate in the ribs a bit more :)

I did a 60k service on a TD5 Disco the other day and it had been chipped. It had also been fitted with a K&N filter. I explained to the owner about the test results in that post up there ^^ and replaced it with a standard item. No noticeable difference in performance etc, and the owner is very happy with it. I think people associate a K&N filter with 'a kick in the pants' performance increase, but this simply isn't the case.

Les.

Care to quantify this with reasons?? What's so bad with K&N??

Well, you can click on those two URL's for a start. Why do you think I asked for them? There is nothing wrong with KanNot™ filters apart from the fact that they don't filter. Maybe you want a filter that filters?

Care to quantify this with reasons?? What's so bad with K&N??

I spend most of my internet time on Cummins Forums and seen too many K&N threads.

A K&N negates its primary function. I use good quality oil, good quality oil filters why would

I use an air filter that fails to filter air? If you run a race car and rebuild it all the time then you

probably wouldn't see the damage but on a vehicle that will do lots of miles then the damage

will become evident in time. If you are happy with yours then please continue to use it.

I wouldn't put a K&N on my lawnmower and thats sh1te.

Gaza

As I have said many times before, if you run a K&N it is about the same as having no filter at all. This is fine in the UK where it rains most of the time, but is not good in Africa or other places where there is a lot of dust. So for UK residents a non-filter of this sort is fine, but don't go to North Africa or possibly even Spain. Certainly don't try to use one in Southern Africa. And yet they sell them here.... :(

Well I left there back in the 70's for that reason. I used to work ouside at RAF Cottesmore which I found had the highest rainfall in the whole UK. And then they sent me to Singapore .... etc etc. The SA highveld has the most sunshine in the world, so I am happy here. But it is dusty, especially in the winter when is doesn't rain from about April to October - this is not good time for an air filter that doesn't work!