300tdi tappets

tommac

And if you find a clearance of nearly 1mm, then the valve stem cap will have broken or fallen off. Best to replace them because they save a lot of wear on the rockers.

Check the tightness of the bolts holding down the rocker shaft, if they come loose the shaft will break.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,new to this forum,Great site, just bought an old disco to play with. I am just replacing the cylinder head thanks to the advice given on this forum, I am up to the rockers, and just have one query if anyone could help, I have fitted new pushrods and i notice that the front 5 are all sitting at different heights, but the back 3 all seem to be about the same level, is this normal before I go any further or could it be a problem? I cant finish the putting the rockers and stuff in till next weekend but thouhgt i would ask this question am I worring unnessarily?

Look down the pushrod hole and make sure the ball end of each rod is sited centrally in the pushrod slide - this thing.

gallery_2_493_6902.jpg

If the rod is off to one side of the slide, then the valve may not close and will either stay open while the engine runs (badly), or break the edge of the cup in the centre of the slide.

Les.

Look down the pushrod hole and make sure the ball end of each rod is sited centrally in the pushrod slide - this thing.

gallery_2_493_6902.jpg

If the rod is off to one side of the slide, then the valve may not close and will either stay open while the engine runs (badly), or break the edge of the cup in the centre of the slide.

Les.

great thanks guys will check it out :D