Disco II gearbox selector spring

stuckinthemud

It is a relatively easy thing to change (located on top of the gearbox) the springs are called bias springs and there is a small folded metal plate which locates the springs which snaps off on the older ones so I suppose the same happens on R380 boxes. You'll have to take the centre console out I think, to get at it, but that should be all.

My Disco II (TD5) has lost the gear selector spring return, which returns the leaver to the 3/4 position from 1/2.

It now sits at the 1/2 position.

How easy is it to sort?

I'm guessing a spring has come off/broken, but knowing Land Rover it's probably 4 day job to strip!!

This was the first job I did on my TD5. It does sound like your bias plate has snapped. It's a pretty easy job if you take your time. If you got the Land Rover RAVE manual it gives good instructions.

4 screws takes the console off. Tip: when you disengage the handbrake from the cable to raise it up to get console out, try not to fully disengage the handbrake rachet. If you do, the rod that works the handbrake release button can bend and make the button stick. You can jam something up to bend it back maybe. I did this on mine and got a new handbrake. I since read about the bent rod.

Also, make sure the bias plate is adjusted properly before you put the console back. Drive it and make sure the 2 -> 3 change is clean. Not good enough just checking with the car parked up.

Cheers

Andy