My new steering wheel

Earlier this week I bought a new Td5 leather covered [i want a bit of luxury] steering wheel from ebay, it arrived today & is now fitted to my '89 110CSW, I think it looks great, easier to see all the instruments & switches, it's a slightly [about 1 inch] smaller diameter & has a thicker rim than the old 4 spoke wheel. now the pics ---

old 4 spoke removed :(

IMG_0766.jpg.53ec3dedbfcf67079b327be9ad3ae20b.jpg

&

the new luxury Td5 2 spoke :D

LR Part number ANR1972 - wheel & QTB102720 - centre pad, just in case any of you wanted to know :D

a earlier variant of this wheel was used on Range Rovers with or without the cruise control switches in the 2 spokes, BoatBouy has one in his 90.

IMG_0764.jpg

With RR flat centre pad fitted 

IMG_1044.jpg

Td5 phooey it also comes in vehicles with a proper engine in :P

My 90 has one too, I used to dislike them because of the look but actually it is a nice wheel to use, a good grip on the thick rim and the back is ribbed for extra pleasure grip

• Like 1

Td5 phooey it also comes in vehicles with a proper engine in :P

My 90 has one too, I used to dislike them because of the look but actually it is a nice wheel to use, a good grip on the thick rim and the back is ribbed for extra pleasure grip

Yeah OK :P & V8's just for you :D ribbed & leather covered, wasn't sure about the hump in the centre, but it doesn't look that big when it's fitted, so I'm happy :D

western said:

Earlier this week I bought a new Td5 leather covered [i want a bit of luxury] steering wheel from ebay, it arrived today & is now fitted to my '89 110CSW, I think it looks great, easier to see all the instruments & switches, it's a slightly [about 1 inch] smaller diameter & has a thicker rim than the old 4 spoke wheel. now the pics ---

old 4 spoke removed :(

&

the new luxury Td5 2 spoke :D B)

a earlier variant of this wheel was used on Range Rovers with or without the cruise control switches in the 2 spokes, BoatBouy has one in his 90.

Is it a straight swap Ralph???

Edited by western
Dead photo links removed

Guest diesel_jim

My Td5 CSW has had the same wheel as you've just fitted Ralph (although not leather) but i removed it and put the old 4 spoke on as i much prefer the thinner feel of those early wheels (in fact this weekend i swapped the wheels over from my 90 to the 110, both 4 spokes, but my 90 had a leather covered one, i figured it was a bit wasted in my "off roader" vehicle... :rolleyes: )

Yep, suppose leather is a bit Bling in a full off roader B) my old 4 spoke has a leather cover but it was getting worn out & peeling off thats why it's now got the breathable cover on, but I had the chance to get this new one so went for it, drove to work today with the new wheel fitted feels much better especially in this cold weather.

Andy[ibexman] PM replied to :D

Ralph, do you notice any difference for your elbow with a slightly smaller wheel?? I was thinking about doing the same (but possibly a bit smaller) as I tend to drive with my right arm in the drivers window and I'm getting a stiff shoulder because of it!

Jas

Haven't noticed yet as I've only driven it today with this new wheel fitted, got a long trip coming up in Feb so will have a better feel for it then.

I forgot to say, the column surround has to have the raised lip that the old wheel sits over shaved off flush & the indicator cancelling ring has to be transferred to the new wheel, once thats done it just slides on, do the nut up and off you go.

It's the same when fitting a nice leather clad two spoke RRC wheel. I really must get round to doing that as it's something else collecting dust on the shelves in the garage, mind you there's no rush as the 4 spoke I have fitted at the moment is leather clad too from an early RRC.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah OK :P & V8's just for you :D

Actually I think you'll find that Stephen's 90 has a 300tdi in it not a V8.

Due to him living at the bottom of the world he managed to get a new Defender but not with a td5 fitted but rather a 300tdi.

He will no doubt jump in with the details of how he did this.

Actually I think you'll find that Stephen's 90 has a 300tdi in it not a V8.

Due to him living at the bottom of the world he managed to get a new Defender but not with a td5 fitted but rather a 300tdi.

He will no doubt jump in with the details of how he did this.

he was refering to the new steering wheel being used in previous versions of RR

His new 90 is a 'rest of the world' spec vehicle which still use the 300Tdi, all european vehicles have the Td5 as it meets the current emissions regs for europe & the 300Tdi doesn't [ but all existing euro/uk spec ones do meet the specs which were current when they were built]

Is that bump an air bag or wot ? :ph34r:

it's a 'or wot' :D just a big soft buffer to protect driver from the wheel centre/column :D

No Defenders of any age/description have airbags, far to much re-engineering involved to fit them to a existing model, the projected 'New' Defender will have them though :unsure::D

it's a 'or wot' :D just a big soft buffer to protect driver from the wheel centre/column :D

No Defenders of any age/description have airbags, far to much re-engineering involved to fit them to a existing model, the projected 'New' Defender will have them though :unsure::D

I only hope they make them off road friendly ! Could you just imagine the carnage not to mention the Land Rover profits for replacing them after a mild green laning........

I only hope they make them off road friendly ! Could you just imagine the carnage not to mention the Land Rover profits for replacing them after a mild green laning........

Don't forget that Discoveries/RR's are well equipped with airbags - these of course manage not to inflate whilst off-roading.

I seem to recall from probably reading something in the predecessor forum to this one that LR airbags 'triggers' are actually set up to be off road friendly. Which of course they will most certainly have to be in the new Defender.