Off Road Comms

disco_al

I think it depends a lot on how 'committed' the people are.

By committed I mean how much money they want to spend on 'extras'.

On our club laning trips, which are aimed very much as suitable for the family, not hard core, a father and son couple, when they come in two vehicles, are great chatters on their CBs, a couple have PMRs, but the leader is very keen on keeping the packet close together, so lack of inter-vehicle comms is not normally a problem.

I passenger in the leaders vehicle, and we both have PMRs.

Very occasionally we use them if I'm prospecting (walking) a lane that looks iffy.

Cheers

Everybody here uses 2m VHF amateur band radios (145MHZ) but the licensing regime is a bit more lax in this part of the world! I think the license hoops you would have to jump through over there are probably excessive for just inter-vehicle comms.

I have in one extreme case had clear audio on 2m at approx 100 miles from a high transmitter mast (local airport) to me sitting on top of 2000ft mountain but usable range is more like 20 miles normally (mobile set to mobile set, low power handhelds are less), VHF is supposed to be line of sight only but in fact it usually works a lot better than that. Years ago there used to be a Russian spacecraft that passed over here from time to time, and some people here used to talk to him :)

One benefit over CB is that the aerials are a lot smaller - a 1/4 wave whip is only a bit over a foot long (though a 5/8 wave gives much better performance) so less likely to get pranged on a tree. Downside is cost - the 12 volt 50 watt mobile sets are a couple of hundred quid for a decent Icom, plus the antenna, mount etc, and £150 or so for a handheld. I've got, ahem :unsure: about eight I think at the last count, not sure if that makes me an anorak :ph34r:

Looking to sort some off road comms equipment out. What stuff do you guys use?

CB is the obvious one, but what about the small handheld PMR style licence free radios that have a 300m range? are they worth looking at?

cheers

Most decent PMR radios will give you a much better range than that, I have a Motorola XTN446 which I use for airsoft games and that has done me good for several miles over open terrain, but as they're limited to 0.5W they won't be able to match the transmission/reception distances of CB or amateur radio bands.

Still, a very cheap way of achieving it. A decent double-pair of hand-held PMRs can be had for £50 odd :)

Guest diesel_jim

I use CB and PMR, as some of my friends (yup, I do posess friends! :lol: ) have CB and some have PMR, so I can ignore all of them now.

Once my carPC is setup, i might be able to email them! :blink::blink:

CB Intek H-520.

I therefor only needed to hardwire in an external antenna connection.

When it's not in use I take it out, and there is no visible trace of it.

When I go to use it, it is powered from the cigarette lighter socket.

Can also be used with a battery pack out of the vehicle.

One benefit over CB is that the aerials are a lot smaller - a 1/4 wave whip is only a bit over a foot long

That's what's putting me off getting a cb at the moment - I don't really want a whacking great aerial. I like the fact that some ramblers take my Landy to be a farmer - and I'm trying to keep it that way.

The ultimate stealth off roader would be a 90 pick up, with an Ifor Williams top, a guy in overalls, a dog and bale in the back...

:D

The ultimate stealth off roader would be a 90 pick up, with an Ifor Williams top, a guy in overalls, a dog and bale in the back...

A white 110 works well round here. :) At least, it did before I added the personal plate and winch bumper...

Chris

my truck would be better off with the bluetooth comp headsets we use just to talk to the codriver whose sat in it! its a tad loud - but these would also work over a convoy length and all could chat at once - its an open net.

not wanting to sound thick but having only done bits off roading on a mates land, ive heard alot about CB's but never understood the point-im guessing its for the "im stuck in a hole" and works better then smoke signals. or is there more to it then that?

interested you see!

not wanting to sound thick but having only done bits off roading on a mates land, ive heard alot about CB's but never understood the point-im guessing its for the "im stuck in a hole" and works better then smoke signals. or is there more to it then that?

interested you see!

or

take the next left

or

mind the low branch by.........

or

get a bit tight up here best back out :ph34r: ................

etc etc

Comms are the secret to everything, keep everyone informed of whats going on, no one likes being a mushroom!

I've found PMR is most useful on winch challenges etc for your co-driver to direct you,

i agree any type of comms for winch challenges is invaluable, i find PMRs a bit fiddly though esp PTT as VOX isint really it. there are some great motorcycle based bluetooth units around that work very well for this application

What's the smallest serviceable aerial for a cb?

You can get short (12"?) rubber ones, rather like the ones you get for the car stereo. They are not brilliant but fine for convoy, site, green lane etc.

I use one called a 'Trucker80' which is about 18-24" long, it is mounted on the gutter on the rear of the Landrover roof and does not look wildly out of place.

Chris

You can get short (12"?) rubber ones, rather like the ones you get for the car stereo. They are not brilliant but fine for convoy, site, green lane etc.

I use one called a 'Trucker80' which is about 18-24" long, it is mounted on the gutter on the rear of the Landrover roof and does not look wildly out of place.

Chris

you could even get a body mount and fit it on the passenger wing so it looked like a second stereo aerial

have a look here theres all kind of stuff... also ebay can sometimes have bargains...

• 2 months later...

I have managed to get hold of a Midland 38 UK/EU set, gutter mount and short whippy aerial for the disco.

Next question is, how do you mount yours? (CB that is) inside the cab area. My first option was on the dash, by the instrument pack, next option was on the side of the centre console by the passengers right knee, or finally on the centre console where the cubby box/bag usually sits in a Disco 1.

All suggestions gratefully welcomed.