Endless wiring questions!

I have a diagram, but I've lost count of the things I've found on my truck that I can't find on the diagram. There's a purple wire running from the top of the alternator into the cab. It's not hooked to anything. What is it for? There's a brown/black wire running from the (+) terminal on my battery, under the truck, up the frame, into the cab, and into the voltage sensing switch. I found something that says that's supposed to go to ground. Is it where it's supposed to be? There's a green wire sticking out of the wire harness coming from the alternator. It's on the right side of the engine near the #1 glow plug. What goes there?

Most importantly...is there a source online for good diagrams? I don't mind paying for a subscription if it's a good diagram. I hate asking questions like this. Part of what I do or a living involvs reading schematic diagrams, but I need a good one to work with.

this is the wiring diagram for all models upto 1991 & the 200Tdi engine wiring & the 2.5Diesel [n/a & TD] from the genuine LR Defender workshop manual, it should help

Thanks. I had a printout of this but discarded it in favor of page 68 from the same manual. I should have given it a better look before I chucked it. Thanks for the engine harness as well. I don't suppose you have ST 358 since the page with my engine harness says "SEE ST 358". Was there a change published? It still doesn't show that little blue connector or my purple mystery wire. Perhaps the purple wire shouldn't be there. It doesn't appear to be part of the factory harness.

There's a brown/black wire running from the (+) terminal on my battery, under the truck, up the frame, into the cab, and into the voltage sensing switch. I found something that says that's supposed to go to ground.

I can't find a wire with this colour code in my old TD dash loom, or in any of my wiring diagrams.

There's a green wire sticking out of the wire harness coming from the alternator. It's on the right side of the engine near the #1 glow plug. What goes there?

if this is a light green & has a light blue trace along it then it should be the temperature sender wire fits on the temp sender below thw thermostat housing on a 200Tdi engine.

There's a purple wire running from the top of the alternator into the cab. It's not hooked to anything. What is it for?

a plain purple wire is usually a permanent 12 volt feed for the interior light/radio/cig lighter.

Thanks. I had a printout of this but discarded it in favor of page 68 from the same manual. I should have given it a better look before I chucked it. Thanks for the engine harness as well. I don't suppose you have ST 358 since the page with my engine harness says "SEE ST 358". Was there a change published? It still doesn't show that little blue connector or my purple mystery wire. Perhaps the purple wire shouldn't be there. It doesn't appear to be part of the factory harness.

the ST358 diagram actually shows the V8 petrol engines wiring, there's no brown/black or purple wires shown on the diagram.

the voltage sensitive switch [VSR] is located behind the small 3 switch panel, it might have a white label on the top which shows the LR part number PRC4427, the LR oval logo & 'voltage sensitive switch'

you will have to move the instrument pack out of the way & remove the switch panel [let it hang on the wires] the vsr is yellow & has 3 spade terminals marked 2,3 & 4 it just pulls off the mounting bracket, the wires should be

terminal 2 = black [power from battery]

terminal 3 = brown [earth/ground]

terminal 4 = black/slate trace [diode/heated rear screen relay]

happy hunting :D

The brown /black wire from pos on battery , definately does not go to earth . It sounds like these wires are aftermarket fitment for extra equipment . Thats why they wont work with the printed wiring diagrams .

Purple is used for non ign fed items eg int light , emerg 4 way flashers . horn, cig lighter .

Does the brown black wire run in a wiring harness or is it solo ?

the voltage sensitive switch [VSR] is located behind the small 3 switch panel, it might have a white label on the top which shows the LR part number PRC4427, the LR oval logo & 'voltage sensitive switch'

you will have to move the instrument pack out of the way & remove the switch panel [let it hang on the wires] the vsr is yellow & has 3 spade terminals marked 2,3 & 4 it just pulls off the mounting bracket, the wires should be

terminal 2 = black [power from battery]

terminal 3 = brown [earth/ground]

terminal 4 = black/slate trace [diode/heated rear screen relay]

happy hunting :D

Miscommunication...I'm looking for it on the diagram, not in the truck. I found it in the truck, and it's where the mystery brown/black wire leads. I figured if I found the VSR on the diagram I could move the mystery wire to it's proper home. I eventually found it on a diagram for the rear window defroster. The brown/black wire is in the correct location.

I do, however, now have a new question. How does the VSR fit into the defroster system? I got the defroster all hooked up, but there's only 12V at the rear window occasionally. It seems the switching side of the defroster relay grounds through the VSR, but only when the VSR chooses. I'm really tempted to remove the VSR and ground the defroster relay to the firewall. Anyone done it? It ticks me off that everything is hooked up, and I have that sweet little defroster light shining at me, but the defroster isn't doing anything.

And once again, Western, thanks for the info.

The vsr switch the earth path when the alternator is producing sufficent power to prevent the rear sceen heater draining the battery, more explained here

also inpect the 'defroster elements' with a magifying glass to see if all the runs are complete, broken ones can be repiared with electical conductive piant, you should be able to get some from 'radio shack' if they still exist.

hth :D

The vsr switch the earth path when the alternator is producing sufficent power to prevent the rear sceen heater draining the battery, more explained here

also inpect the 'defroster elements' with a magifying glass to see if all the runs are complete, broken ones can be repiared with electical conductive piant, you should be able to get some from 'radio shack' if they still exist.

hth :D

Not only do they still exist, before we moved here my wife managed a Radio Shack in Utah. I'll see what they have available online.

My defroster worked briefly after starting the engine and stepping on the throttle. It hasn't worked since, meaning that there isn't 12V at the spade where the defroster gets power, not that the elements aren't hot. My voltmeter shows I'm charging at 14V. I think I need a new VSR.

this is the wiring diagram for all models upto 1991 & the 200Tdi engine wiring & the 2.5Diesel [n/a & TD] from the genuine LR Defender workshop manual, it should help

western

is your diagrams good for 1984 2.25 petrol defender

its the best most helpful one ive found so far if possible could you photocopy it (if you have an original hard copy)and mail it to me (etsr) at 849. its just that it didnt come out to clear when i printed it.

sorry if thats a bit of a cheeky ask

not wanting to start a new topic, but ive got the wiring diagram, and i think ive worked out

1. what leads do what, so i can re wire

2. which fuses i can amalgamate

however, i do have one question. for extras, spot lights, gauges, interior lights,etc where do you take your power off. this may sound stupid, but i spent best part of 4 hours last night deciefering the diagram, and maybe my brains stopped working! i did wonder-if i move my main beams onto one fuse, side lights on to one, could i not re wire the existing other fuses as the extras, and whilst this would work it doesnt leave many "spares".

again, apologies if i sound thick-the answer its probably remarkably simple, i justa cant see it!

my additional gauges are powered by the existing guages wiring & illumination, I've only run new wires to the senders for each gauge, additional lights [front fog/driving lights] are wired with a seperate relay or each pair & switch for the front fogs, driving lights are switched by the main beam to the respective relay, 2nd rear fog & reverse lights are switched by the existing systems as he wiring already exist in the required locations, all my ham radio's are seperatly powered from the battery with fuses in earth & power leads.

i see :blink: so its easier to run whats already there and modify it, as opposed to taking direct off the battery? isnt it bad to run direct off the battery as it drains it, rahter then the power from the alternator? is there no where to get power from, i.e a point on the loom?

i'll just make sure that everything coming off the battery is on a switch, then that cant happen!

better get drawing a diagram-i wonder if ive still got crocadile clipss........ :P

on a serious note-has anyone seen/got the military diagram on a cad wiring program? or has it never been done?

can anyone do me a favour and give me the measurement for the depth of the dash space on an "older" 90-i.e. 92 style. need to know how much space ive got to make fuse/stereo/switch face plate and cant get to 90 till mid week!

If you have a lot of equipment that you would like to operate when the engine isn't running, fit a second battery with split charge system to supply the extra equipment.

You can then flatten that one knowing you have the engine battery safe to restart.

Regards

David

well, after failing to go and sort my gearbox (apparently, buying fish for the fish tank is more important :blink:) i decided to draw up a faceplate.

and after lots of reading;

anything i want to run without the vehicle on il run direct.

anything i want inginition specific i'll wire onto a 12v feed of that.

so, all is progressing nicely-now with a shiney voltmeter VDO but one thing

2 core mains wire-it can be used for speaker wire, but what about general wire within the landy, i.e. running to spotlights, rear lights, etc.

i presume it can