Rear speakers in a Defender

n6s3h2.jpg

Has anyone tried to fit speakers into these panels?

Is there enough room?

I would like to fit a set of rear speakers in my Defender 90. I am fitting 4 tip up seats so there doesn't seem an obvious place for them. Has anyone found a good place which produces a decent sound?

Any photos would be good.

Thanks.

Andy. :D

Andy, I had a pair exactly where you describe. It's not an acoustically perfect place to put them because there's little enclosed space behind them but... it's a LandRover :) There's room if your speaker isn't too deep, mine used 3-way speakers like these:

goodmans-gls146.jpg

I've now got a pair of 6x9s pointing downwards in a shelf above yr passenger's head but there's not really room to sit beneath it. It'll be better when I get round to enclosing the space above the shelf.

I'm sorry, but you're driving a defender and you're worried about the quality of the sound from your stereo.........???? :o:o

I would have thought you would just be pleased to hear it!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bish - Range Rover owner - running for cover!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Guest diesel_jim

If you're handy with a little woodwork and metalwork, you could build a box like ihave in my 90 & (soon) 110...

you lose a little headroom, but i never carry much in the back and the odd person... well, tough! :D

with 6x9's you get excellent reproduction and good bass too.

PIC00004.jpg

PIC00001.jpg

There's no way I'd put mine in the td5 position. I'd break them too easily. I've gone for a similar approach to diesel_jim but not quite as well carpeted! I was going to enclose them properly to improve the sound quality, but it sounds great as it is. They're 6x9's in the back BTW.

ResizeofDSCF0099.jpg

ResizeofDSCF0098.jpg

ResizeofDSCF0097.jpg

I had a pair of stereo speakers picked up for £1 at the tip - self contained, loud enough, not too big, and when they get kicked/full of mud it's not the end of the world.

Then the exhaust got a hole in it and I stopped kidding myself there was any point using the stereo :lol:

i've got a pair of zonkin' girt Sony speakers from the local recycling centre, £5. Mine are fitted on top of the externally accessed lockers so are well out of the way but it would be easy to screw them up to the rooflining if you did'nt have the lockers.

at the front I have a have a pair of maystar high/midrange speakers screwed to the fusebox.

Will :)

• 3 months later...

does anybody know where i can get the original defender wiring loom for the rear speakers? my defender was originally a county pickup, so i have a clip that goes from the bulkhead to the engine bay, but then there is no wiring that goes from the engine bay to the rear. can someone help?

• 10 months later...

Digging this thread up again due to very shortly having a shiny new Defender which will need a better wireless fitted :)

Any fresh thoughts on the matter before I order and fit a set of Pioneer TS-44's as in my photo above?

Has anybody got a pic of the LR factory fit rear speakers fitted in a 110SW, we don't get the four speaker option here...

Ta :)

n6s3h2.jpg

Has anyone tried to fit speakers into these panels?

Is there enough room?

I would like to fit a set of rear speakers in my Defender 90. I am fitting 4 tip up seats so there doesn't seem an obvious place for them. Has anyone found a good place which produces a decent sound?

Any photos would be good.

Thanks.

Andy. :D

Nas90 speakers are fitted into ABS cases just where your photo shows, works pretty good too! Although with a soft-top sometimes more wind noise than radio blare!

thoughts on the matter before I order and fit a set of Pioneer TS-44's as in my photo above?

Has anybody got a pic of the LR factory fit rear speakers fitted in a 110SW, we don't get the four speaker option here...

Ta :)

I can take some pics when it's light tomorrow.

Guest diesel_jim

Stephen...

I fitted a couple of 6" speakers into the panel right at the back,above the rear dor of my 110 (well, either side of the rear door actually), and they sound absolutely cr@p! it was onlt because i had a pair of speakers kicking around and a small (30w) amp i thought i'd bung them in (As the 110 isn't officially mine yet i'm holding back from doing too much to it (although i did fit a military 12 pin towing socket today so i can pull my sankey! :D )

Im definately going to go for the up-in-roof-box like i've got in my 90.

what do you plan to have in the very back of your truck? some neat ideas on east coast rovers:

30.jpg

31.jpg

38.jpg

4039.jpg

31314.jpg